Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Know Where To Get A Cheap Oil Service

gazbev

I've got a 2007 d4d and I'm told Castrol edge 5w30 is the best oil for my car,I would change it myself but cant find anywhere to buy this oil cheaply.

National tyres will change your oil and filter for this car with said oil for £31.50,they use pattern filters but asked them if I bought a Mr.T filter would they fit it,they arnt supposed to but they did.

I even checked the oil containers to make sure I was getting the real stuff.

I would have to buy 2 x 4lt of oil to service my car (6lt) at around 80 quid.

Am I missing something or is this a bargain?

20ltrs oil in Cosco £40, filter from Europarts £7, enought oil for 3 oil changes and loads of reddies left in your pocket

20 lts of Edge? I havnt got a costco card but I was told it was 30 quid for 4 litres.

Will find out for sure cheers.

P.S. re;'lots of reddies',you would actually be 8.50 down

but I take your point

Why pay a lot of money on a car and not have the job done proper, and have peace of mind,I have just had a full service mud flaps fitted and they even washed the car for £120,and no I am not well off I am a disabled pensioner and want to know that my car is being well looked after.

e :thumbsup:

A few weeks back my local Tesco were selling Castrol Edge ofr £1-99 per litre bottle - that works out at £8-00 for 4 litres. The manager of this outlet is a neighbour and he tells me they aren't loosing money selling at that price - they just wanted it sold to make romm for Christmas goodies. Just goes to show the profit a seller can make eh!!:)

To gasbev.

Castrol oil is top quality, especially Edge, Magnatex etc etc. But the GREED has set in, as you are aware all their top end oils have been converted to 4 litre containers instead of 5 for quite sometime now. I think good old GTX is still sold as a 5 Litre bottle. You could try Mobil oil, just as good. But as "Jamesbelfast" points out you can be in the right place at the right time. You will just have to hunt around. Just don't put crap non-brand oil into your engine no matter what is suggested on this forum. If you have a good car put the best oil in you can afford & order your service parts through Parts-KIng official toyota dealer. All parts discounted if a member of this forum.

Regards, Beagh.

Why pay a lot of money on a car and not have the job done proper, and have peace of mind,I have just had a full service mud flaps fitted and they even washed the car for £120,and no I am not well off I am a disabled pensioner and want to know that my car is being well looked after.

e :thumbsup:

Yes but did they use a quality oil? thats what I'm interested in.An oil service is easy,drain it out for a while,change filter, put the plug in and fill it up.

You would have to try hard or be stupid to mess that up.

OK Uddy1,I dont think I made myself clear,

depending on which car you have depends on which oil you need,my car is a 2007 2.0 d4d and it needs just about the most expensive oil money can buy.Apparently this model has a special diesel particle filter(DPF) which filters out particles from diesel exhaust to make it more eco if you know what I mean.If I use cheaper oils(and God knows I put in the research)certain impurities one being ash mucks up said filter,so I have no choice if I want my car to last.

If for example you have an earlier model petrol car you could use a relativly cheap oil.I cannot.I have talked to Toyota parts and they said put 5W30 semi synthetic in,I mentioned the DPF filter and he didnt know anything about it so if I had listened to him I could put any old cheap oil in of that grade it and saved money.The oil 5W30 semi synth can cost very little and quite a lot depending on the quality.Its fair to say after my research the more money you spend on oil the better it is for the engine.A lot of garages will buy cheap oil in bulk to improve their profit margin,yes it may be the right grade but the quality could be in question.Castrol Edge is a good oil for my engine.

If I bought Castrol edge from Halfords it would cost 90 quid for 8lts(my car taking 6lts).

So an oil service for 31.50 is cheap,I think unless as someone commented you are lucky enough to pick an offer up.

If you are happy with your service for 120 quid,its your money and you seem happy.If its a full service fine,if its just an oil service with low grade oil then I would question the value for money.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Bring it to me. £2.17 for filter £8.55 gallon of oil £10 to change it, total = £20.72 i get my stuff at trade prices. Only trouble is you have to get to carlisle!!!!!!!

Nice idea mate.

Food for thought.

For avensis D-4D which oil is better,

Fully Synthetic

or Semi-synthetic ?

Manual say 5-30W, which is fine, but should it be fully Synthetic or Semi-synthetic ?

What are pros and cons of having these?

Please share ideas.

I have read on forums that Full synthetics are better after 8-10K whereas semi-synthetic consumes itself after 8-10K?

How true is it?

Cheers.

Nice idea mate.

Food for thought.

For avensis D-4D which oil is better,

Fully Synthetic

or Semi-synthetic ?

Manual say 5-30W, which is fine, but should it be fully Synthetic or Semi-synthetic ?

What are pros and cons of having these?

Please share ideas.

I have read on forums that Full synthetics are better after 8-10K whereas semi-synthetic consumes itself after 8-10K?

How true is it?

Cheers.

Fully Synthetic is the way to go! You have to be carefull which oil spec you use if you've got somthing like a D-CAT. I use Castrol EDGE 5w-30 (507 00) in my VW TDi's. I thought it would be okay for my Avensis T-180 D-CAT, but speaking to the guys at Opie Oils I found out it wasn't upto the spec for the CAT! (C2 spec) So I went for Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30. Went to Halfords and they did it for £32 for 5lts! So I walked away with 20lts of the stuff and 4 free Mobil 1 Umbrellas :yes:

Shame was I have over 60lts of the Edge stuff hanging about! I went mad when Costco were selling it for £9.99 plus VAT for 3x1 ltr bottles! Oh well... But a least my Polo will have oil changes for the next 10 years! Lol :blink::yahoo:

I've just seen this on eBay... 10lts of Mobil 1 ESP for £61.50 (Item number: 260707024118) and its the new design can, and Castrol Edge Edge (8 lts) 5w-30 for £58.50 (Item number: 260705809553) Both includes postage to your door.

But I'd go for the Mobil ESP because it has a slightly better spec in TBN and flash point, they both meet the 507 00 VW spec...

Thanks mate for the replay. My car is not d-CAT so I guess the above mentioned oils will be fine with my car. :yahoo:

Also really appreciate the items numbers from e-bay.

Further food for thought:

1- Can you or anybody explain what is the difference b/w fully synthetic and semi-synthetic oil?

2- Which oil toyota dealers use?

Also the manual says that if we change oil without filter then D-4D should have 5.6 Liters.

However if change it with oil filter then D-4D should have 5.8 liters.

3- Does that mean 5L tub + 1 liter is the one which I should be looking?

4- What does other people do?

Please contribute your ideas. :thumbsup:

Thanks mate for the replay. My car is not d-CAT so I guess the above mentioned oils will be fine with my car. :yahoo:

1- Can you or anybody explain what is the difference b/w fully synthetic and semi-synthetic oil?

Also the manual says that if we change oil without filter then D-4D should have 5.6 Liters.

there are mineral oils and synthetic oils.

synthetic are man made, not like mineral oils (out of the ground)

fully synthetic oil means all the oil is synthetic.

semi synthetic means the oil is part synthetic,part mineral.though the proportions can vary from one company to the next.

my local dealer uses Castrol magnatec professional C2 5w-30.you cant buy this oil yourself its only supplied to dealers.

i use Mobil esp 5w-30.

Mobil esp comes in 5 ltr container. so you would need one of these plus a one ltr container.

Castrol and some other do there oil in 4 ltr containers,so you would need one of these, plus 2 i ltr containers.

hope this helps.

there are mineral oils and synthetic oils.

synthetic are man made, not like mineral oils (out of the ground)

fully synthetic oil means all the oil is synthetic.

semi synthetic means the oil is part synthetic,part mineral.though the proportions can vary from one company to the next.

my local dealer uses Castrol magnatec professional C2 5w-30.you cant buy this oil yourself its only supplied to dealers.

i use Mobil esp 5w-30.

Mobil esp comes in 5 ltr container. so you would need one of these plus a one ltr container.

Castrol and some other do there oil in 4 ltr containers,so you would need one of these, plus 2 i ltr containers.

hope this helps.

Brilliant mate. Very useful post.

Thanks. :D

If you go onto a sit called "The engine oil bible" (just Google it) you'll see what the difference is. Synthetic is a far better oil for your car if you want to keep it in tip top nick!

Mobil 1 and some other oil's are something called a "cracked" synthetic. There are other oils out there which in some cases are better than both Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge (depending on the manufacturies given spec). Such oils are called full synthetic Ester! These oils can be very expensive like Fuchs Titan Race Pro R 0W-20 Racing Oil Full Synthetic Ester which is around the £100 for a 5lt can. They are basically used for the race track! You could use it for your car, but it wouldn't be cost effective really for a road car unless you want to get away from the cops really quickly! :toast: :censor:

I'd get the 10ltr of oil so you have enough for top ups and some for the next oil change! You wont go wrong with Mobil 1 ESP! My car runs like a dream on the stuff.

Also think about using something in the fuel like Millers Diesel clean and Forte advanved Diesel treatment, they clean the injector and lubricate the pump and condition the fuel lines. The best out there for me is BG 244! expensive at about £30 a pot, but amazing stuff.

Hope this helps :drunk:

If you go onto a sit called "The engine oil bible" (just Google it) you'll see what the difference is. Synthetic is a far better oil for your car if you want to keep it in tip top nick!

Mobil 1 and other oil's are something called a "cracked" synthetic. There are other oils out there which in some cases are better than both Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge (depending on the manufacturies given spec). Such oils are called full synthetic Ester! These oils can be very expensive like Fuchs Titan Race Pro R 0W-20 Racing Oil Full Synthetic Ester which is around the £100 for a 5lt can. They are basically used for the race track! You could use it for your car, but it wouldn't be cost effective really for a road car unless you want to get away from the cops really quickly! :toast: :censor:

I'd get the 10ltr of oil so you have enough for top ups and some for the next oil change! You wont go wrong with Mobil 1 ESP! My car runs like a dream on the stuff.

Also think about using something in the fuel like Millers Diesel clean and Forte advanved Diesel treatment, they clean the injector and lubricate the pump and condition the fuel lines. The best out there for me is BG 244! expensive at about £30 a pot, but amazing stuff.

:toast:

Another very useful post.....Brilliant.

Does Mobil 1 ESP come in 10 liter lube?

Yes I have used BG244 in my focus, it is brilliant.

Thanks mate for your help.

Mobil 1 and other oil's are something called a "cracked" synthetic. There are other oils out there which in some cases are better than both Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge (depending on the manufacturies given spec). Such oils are called full synthetic Ester! These oils can be very expensive like Fuchs Titan Race Pro R 0W-20 Racing Oil Full Synthetic Ester which is around the £100 for a 5lt can. They are basically used for the race track! You could use it for your car, but it wouldn't be cost effective really for a road car unless you want to get away from the cops really quickly! :toast: :censor:

Mobil 1 Esp comes in the new 5ltr containers. But there are some old stocks of the 4ltr ones out there. But better to go for the newer larger tubs. Also engine oil does have a shelf life of around 5 years. So the new 5ltr one are what I'd go for.

I'd get down to Halfords and do what I did if you need the oil straight away. I asked them to "price match" Asda at £32! But what they didn't know was Asda no longer stocks ESP anymore, they've changed over to Castrol Edge now.

Halfords had a deal on Mobil 1. If you bought a 5ltr container you got a brollie for free worth I think £25. So hence the reason why I got four of them to keep my shaved head nice and dry! lol :blink:

Guess what my brother-in-laws getting for Christmas?! :bash::banned:

Mobil 1 Esp comes in the new 5ltr containers. But there are some old stocks of the 4ltr ones out there. But better to go for the newer larger tubs. Also engine oil does have a shelf life of around 5 years. So the new 5ltr one are what I'd go for.

I'd get down to Halfords and do what I did if you need the oil straight away. I asked them to "price match" Asda at £32! But what they didn't know was Asda no longer stocks ESP anymore, they've changed over to Castrol Edge now.

Halfords had a deal on Mobil 1. If you bought a 5ltr container you got a brollie for free worth I think £25. So hence the reason why I got four of them to keep my shaved head nice and dry! lol :blink:

is it 5 ltrs mobil esp 5w-30?

Lolz, whats your brother in law getting for you?

Thanks for your reply.

Lolz, whats your brother in law getting for you?

Thanks for your reply.

He'll just wait for next year and give it straight back to me knowing him! :boxing::blowup:

REF ny original OP.Does anyone know where to get a cheasper service with quality oil?

• 1 month later...

bump,can anyone tell me if this is agood deal?I CANT FIND A BETTER ONE