Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Runnaway Prius Gen 3 - Happened Thursday

kevin h

Had a scary drive into work on Thur.

My Gen111 prius decided to continue accelerating which meant me having to apply the brakes on an 8 mile journey to the dealer.

On the way, when I stopped at junctions, the engine was reving quite high.

Tried switching off and on, still had the same problem.

I can understand the poor frightened person who reported this problem in the US some time ago, but brking and putting into neutral does work.

Anyway, got to the dealer shaking like a leaf and explained the problem.

The cam out and connected there diagnstic machine and we prepared to go ourt for a drive.

The engineer said "Do you know what Toyota are going to ask when we tell them"? - "What mats does he have?"

Imagine my face when on looking down at my drivers mat (Not Toyota) it was laid on the accelerator.

Needless to say, the test drive we did was fine and the car has been OK ever since.

The engineer insisted that we still check everything, which took about 40 minutes in total, and he never laughed once.

Me, I just wanted to curl up in a corner I felt so stupid.

Anyway, if you experience the same problem, pull over, switch of the system and take a look at your mats.

Needless to say, my old mats (Used for 3 years in a Gen 2) have now gone.

A scary experience nevertheless!!!

Glad it worked out ok though and no harm was done except to your pride...

I was warned by the dealer I purchased my Prius gen 2 from that it was vital only to use the mats designed for that model of car. He even provided a set of mats FOC in the purchase.

Pleased to hear you got the problem sorted without an accident.

I experienced the same problem, it got the adrenaline running on more than one occasion before I sussed out the reason. The cure I used was cheaper than replacing the mats.

I bought and pushed into position a pair of clips from Toyota that are designed to secure their genuine mats. I punched holes in my non genuine mats then stopped any fraying by putting a good amount of superglue around the holes.

Hope this cure helps someone like me who was loathed to replace mats which are like new.

Anyway, if you experience the same problem, pull over, switch of the system and take a look at your mats.

Well Done 'kevin h' for having the courage posting this information, I can imagine the trauma and embarrassment involved.

I had always wondered why the people that had similar throttle problems in the US didn't try to disengage the transmission by hitting 'N' or 'P' [which also selects 'N'] or just switching off on the 'Start' button, and as you've proved it does work - that's very nice to know - thanks. :thumbsup:

Terry B

I had this happen to me once too. I had vacuumed the car out and fitted the carpet mats but NOT connected them to the anchors. Whilst driving the mats slowly slipped forward and got trapped under the accelerator causing it to stick down when I let my foot off. :help:

A word of warning ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS fit your mats correctly! DO NOT leave them loose! And ALWAYS use the official Toyota mats for your car as using anything else can, and probably will cause problems.

You have been warned! :eek:

Well Done 'kevin h' for having the courage posting this information, I can imagine the trauma and embarrassment involved.

I had always wondered why the people that had similar throttle problems in the US didn't try to disengage the transmission by hitting 'N' or 'P' [which also selects 'N'] or just switching off on the 'Start' button, and as you've proved it does work - that's very nice to know - thanks. :thumbsup:

Terry B

I have heard that should you ever find yourself in this unfortunate "dodgy-fitting-mat-runaway" situation, you should use the "shift to N" technique rather than the "switching power off" technique as the using the former means you retain power assisted steering and braking, making it easier to retain control over the car, whereas the latter turns them off.

Sounds logical to me. :thumbsup:

Had a scary drive into work on Thur.

My Gen111 prius decided to continue accelerating which meant me having to apply the brakes on an 8 mile journey to the dealer.

On the way, when I stopped at junctions, the engine was reving quite high.

Tried switching off and on, still had the same problem.

I can understand the poor frightened person who reported this problem in the US some time ago, but brking and putting into neutral does work.

Anyway, got to the dealer shaking like a leaf and explained the problem.

The cam out and connected there diagnstic machine and we prepared to go ourt for a drive.

The engineer said "Do you know what Toyota are going to ask when we tell them"? - "What mats does he have?"

Imagine my face when on looking down at my drivers mat (Not Toyota) it was laid on the accelerator.

Needless to say, the test drive we did was fine and the car has been OK ever since.

The engineer insisted that we still check everything, which took about 40 minutes in total, and he never laughed once.

Me, I just wanted to curl up in a corner I felt so stupid.

Needless to say, my old mats (Used for 3 years in a Gen 2) have now gone.

ok first off i will appologise cause first thing i did on reading this was burst out laughing ( much to the amusment of the guy i was on the phone to at the time ) but on a more serious note this can be an issue with alot of cras not just the prius, so i would recommend to all that after cheaper aftermarket universal mat to secure them at the top with either a clip as mention by someone above or but simply staple gunning the top of the may to the carpet so it does not lift up. I glad it wasnt more serious for you and that you managed to get it sorted :)

Regards CerberusStyle ( new member and vehicle electrian )

I have heard that should you ever find yourself in this unfortunate "dodgy-fitting-mat-runaway" situation, you should use the "shift to N" technique rather than the "switching power off" technique as the using the former means you retain power assisted steering and braking, making it easier to retain control over the car, whereas the latter turns them off.

Sounds logical to me. :thumbs up:

Yes FourFourTwo, I agree the "shift to N" technique is the preferred option.

However I think I am right in saying that if you "switch off" [or loose your electrics for what ever reason] you will retain a certain amount of brake assist from a hydraulic accumulator in the brake system.

[As you had in the old suspended vacuum system, whereby you had a vacuum reservoir with enough for about 3 brake applications, then you were on your own with only the static hydraulics to connect you to the brakes.]

As far as power assistance for the steering, I don't think there is any reserve required being an electric assist or even in a hydraulic system for that matter, but a mechanical link must be retained, so again you will be on your own with your muscles.

These two safety features were law under the old vehicle Construction and Use Act, now doubt incorporated and updated by some EEU directive. :rolleyes:

It is a rather funny story though :-)

I thought you had a similar experience like me, nothing to do with the mats but I think there is an issue with engine/gear management control system. I've had it now a few times on our bumpy uk roads with potholes and especially those with dodgy metal covers that the car seems to accelerate following the bump. It is a really weird experience that I've never had in any of my other automatic vehicles.

On the recent accelerator recall, we removed ALL non genuine mats from cars and put them in the boot, advising customers of the reason. Our staff were subjected to some of the most horrendous abuse you have ever heard, just because they were doing their job properly. You can never win!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Some people never like taking responsibility for their own actions, gets even worse when you tell off their little angels in school ;-) My wife used to volunteer as a classroom assistant in an infant school, the abuse she got at times from parent where in front of their child they would F'n this and C her that.

On the recent accelerator recall, we removed ALL non genuine mats from cars and put them in the boot, advising customers of the reason. Our staff were subjected to some of the most horrendous abuse you have ever heard, just because they were doing their job properly. You can never win!

Toyota could have so easily been in a win situation by replacing all the non Toyota mats with genuine mats free of charge i.e. out of good will to make amends for the mess that Toyota caused. It is down to Toyota's poor design and engineering of the accelerator pedal that caused their customers unnecessary anxiety and worry.

Some people never like taking responsibility for their own actions, gets even worse when you tell off their little angels in school ;-) My wife used to volunteer as a classroom assistant in an infant school, the abuse she got at times from parent where in front of their child they would F'n this and C her that.

That includes Toyota by its apparently unilateral policy of removing ALL non Toyota mats. I would assume there are some non-Toyota mats that would be safe to use, but I would guess that Toyota and the dealers could not risk taking the responsibility of looking at a non genuine mat and assessing that it was okay for the cost of being sued in court if there was an incident?

Yes there might be some safe non Toyota mats you could use, just like non genuine parts of any description, but to be safe, Toyota stand by the fact that their mats are fit for purpose. Removing all non geniune mats removes the possibility that anybody could sue them for damages. We live in a litigious world I'm afraid. You would be suprised at how many idiots actually have several sets of mats, yes thats right, mats on top of mats! Even if mats were removed with the best of intentions, it does not give anybody the right to be downright rude and obnoxious when advised why they have been taken out and put in the boot

Yes Toyota could have given away a set of mats, but they chose not to, one of the reasons I would suspect would be the logistics of having tens of thousands of mats made in a very short space of time, instead they extended opening hours, in some cases 24 hour shifts, seven days a week to get the recall completed in record time for any recall, making it easier for concerned customers to have a repair in the shortest possible time

....Even if mats were removed with the best of intentions, it does not give anybody the right to be downright rude and obnoxious when advised why they have been taken out and put in the boot.

Because we're turning into a nation of foul mouthed slobs.

You should hear some of the crap I get and not just on the night shift when you'd expect it. More often than not it's some business man in his suit who thinks he can do what the hell he wants just because he's hired me to take him somewhere. Example from last month - "Excuse me sir, I'd be grateful if you didn't eat that slice of toast in my car" to which I received a shouted response "f*** off, I'll eat my f***ing toast where I f***ing like you c***." This was from a 'gentleman' from a million pound house going to the airport.

My response "Right, out you get" :thumbsup:

I'm so tempted to get cctv for the above type of situation. Would love to post the clip on the internet or maybe even email it to their office. Of course, such action would be against their human rights init. ;)

That includes Toyota by its apparently unilateral policy of removing ALL non Toyota mats. I would assume there are some non-Toyota mats that would be safe to use, but I would guess that Toyota and the dealers could not risk taking the responsibility of looking at a non genuine mat and assessing that it was okay for the cost of being sued in court if there was an incident?

I don't think that does include Toyota at all. They did their recall, they didn't bin those mats but made it safe instead. If they didn't and noticed they were there than those people not taking responsibility would be the first in the queue to sue them. It's amazing how some people 'modify' their vehicle. How can anyone reasonably expect Toyota to test the mats of any other manufacturer?

Nope common sense is long gone, and it is always someone elses fault.

Indeed it is, somewhere I saw a treatise entitled 'the demise of common sense'

I think it's rather strange that whatever happens 'Someone' must be at fault...

whatever happened to taking responsibility for your own actions?

YOU put the mats in the car, YOUR mats got caught - ergo, YOUR fault!!

:thumbsup:

Indeed it is, somewhere I saw a treatise entitled 'the demise of common sense'

I think it's rather strange that whatever happens 'Someone' must be at fault...

whatever happened to taking responsibility for your own actions?

YOU put the mats in the car, YOUR mats got caught - ergo, YOUR fault!!

:thumbsup:

No it is the fault of Toyota they shouldn't make it dificult for other manufacturers to make mats that fit, and they should also lower their prices.

It is Toyota's fault I bought the cheap knock-off ones on the local market as if Toyota made them cheaper I wouldn't have bought them, nothing to do with me guv init.

It is the fault of the government also they should not allow the sale of mats that don't fit properly.

It is the fault of the Tories as with their cuts they had to get rid of the labour introduced car mat agency inspectorate

It is the fault of Europe as they dictate that that you can maintain your car anywhere, I do and now I ran into this old lady.

And on and on and on. rolleyes.gif

It is the fault of Europe as they dictate that that you can maintain your car anywhere, I do and now I ran into this old lady.

Talking of which, I was in our local Tesco's a short while ago, and some old dear in a souped up electric buggy nearly ran me over in the Christmas Card aisle!!!

I know now how people feel when I creep up on them in my Prius!! :yahoo::thumbsup:

LOL Those mobility scooters are a flippin nightmare. I bet the majority of the owners do it on purpose and also seem to have a chip on their shoulder that they can barge through everywhere. It's a bit like a lot of people of a certain old age seem to play 'dumb' and jump queues acting all confused and nice so how could you possibly say anything against them. ;-)

Right on! You wanna drive a mobiscoo - take a damn test once a year :thumbsup:

Yes there might be some safe non Toyota mats you could use, just like non genuine parts of any description, but to be safe, Toyota stand by the fact that their mats are fit for purpose. Removing all non geniune mats removes the possibility that anybody could sue them for damages. We live in a litigious world I'm afraid. You would be suprised at how many idiots actually have several sets of mats, yes thats right, mats on top of mats! Even if mats were removed with the best of intentions, it does not give anybody the right to be downright rude and obnoxious when advised why they have been taken out and put in the boot

Perhaps, as consumers many of us need lessons on how to complain without being rude and obnoxious? I'm not convinced that removing the mats without consulting the customer first would ever be the right way to go about it.

It only seems to be modern cars that can't cope with mats on top of mats, I never seemed to have any problem with mats sliding around in my cars in the past.

Yes Toyota could have given away a set of mats, but they chose not to, one of the reasons I would suspect would be the logistics of having tens of thousands of mats made in a very short space of time, instead they extended opening hours, in some cases 24 hour shifts, seven days a week to get the recall completed in record time for any recall, making it easier for concerned customers to have a repair in the shortest possible time

I think that was too late, the damage to Toyota's reputation had been well and truly done. Arguably, Toyota had lost the plot years ago, and Mr Toyoda admitted that in his apology in the USA.

Many people out there need to learn how to be courteous full stop, regardless of if they have a complaint or not

I'm not convinced that removing the mats without consulting the customer first would ever be the right way to go about it.

Well the only other way would be to leave them in! Considering the car has just been in for a mod to possibly stop the throttle from sticking, it would be foolish to leave them in place. Just leaving them there and asking the customer to take them out would be a waste of breath, those not wanting to remove them would'nt touch them. At least removing them to the boot requires a deliberate act to put them back in!