Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Parcel Shelf Falling Apart

motoxxx3

As I was unloading some shopping from my 59 plate Yaris T2 yesterday I noticed the material section of the parcel shelf hanging down (where it is attached to the backs of the rear seats by the velcro)

When I looked closely, the material has actually come unglued from the 'velcro/plastic strip'.

Called in to my local Toyota dealer to show them but they didn't even bother to look at it. I was told it is a common problem and they just ordered me a new parcel shelf.

Has anyone else had this? Must be a poor quality glue - the car is not quite a year old.

Yeah - both mine have been like that - The one we bought at seven months old was already like thet when we collected it from the dealer and the other we bought new has also started pulling away.

I never throught of claiming under warranty - I just stuck the velcro strips back onto the cloth part with some UHU contact adhesive...

Yeah - both mine have been like that - The one we bought at seven months old was already like thet when we collected it from the dealer and the other we bought new has also started pulling away.

I never throught of claiming under warranty - I just stuck the velcro strips back onto the cloth part with some UHU contact adhesive...

Hmmmmm.... Yes I thought about gluing it - then it dawned on me this is a new car, still under warranty, with an obvious manufacturing fault- so Toyota can fix it...after all it is another result of their recent cheapskate, corner cutting production methods trying to save a few pennies on an expensive but cheaply built car.

Are the new ones still as reliable and hard wearing as the originals though?

As much as I am a Toyota supporter and will hear nothing bad said about them I am hearing more and more people saying that the newer models aren't as good as they were...? :(

Are the new ones still as reliable and hard wearing as the originals though?

As much as I am a Toyota supporter and will hear nothing bad said about them I am hearing more and more people saying that the newer models aren't as good as they were...? :(

Yes I believe the pre 2006 Toyotas are better built than the newer ones.

We purchased last year in our family 4 brand new Toyotas: 2 x Yaris 3dr, 1 x Aygo 3dr, 1 x IQ and we have had problems with all 4 cars - they have all had warranty work..the Aygo is leaking water in. They had it for 2 weeks to repair, and 2 days ago it leaked in again. They are nice to drive, but it is apparent corners have been cut in the build quality.

If we are having problems when they are new I dread to think what problems will we encounter with these cars a few years down the line.

Get it sorted under warranty - the velcro strips have been modified (they are now stitched on instead of glued).

Mart.

My rule of thumb is that a couple of years down the line and after a few thousand miles (I'd say 30,000 for good measure) they should be okay and have all the little niggles (like what you're experiencing) ironed out of them. I've had a 96 reg Honda Civic as my first car which had 120k on the clock and never had any trouble with it whatsoever. Have a Mrk. 1 2000 reg Yaris which has now done 80k and no trouble whatsoever again.

My other rule of thumb is to never buy a car brand new! For a start it has little niggles that will need sorting out as a manufacturer can't afford to road test a car for a long period of time, there will always be something that needs fixing in the early days and no matter what car you buy, it will lose value as soon as you drive it off the forecourts. You can't beat a bombproof Toyota or Honda thats a few years old, has a few miles on the clock and has been kept in good condition! Both my cars collectively cost me 3 grand!

Get it sorted under warranty - the velcro strips have been modified (they are now stitched on instead of glued).

Mart.

Yes the new parcel shelf now has the velcro stitched on. Much better idea - especially as this part gets pulled when you want to put the back seats down.

If anyone has a Yaris still under warranty they should go to their Toyota dealer & get the new parcel shelf as it is only a matter of time before the original one comes unglued. Both of our Yaris' came unglued before the cars were a year old.

Mart.

Is the parcel shelf something that the warranty covers? I recall reading through it and it saying it doesn't cover interior trim.

Mart.

Is the parcel shelf something that the warranty covers? I recall reading through it and it saying it doesn't cover interior trim.

Yes it is covered under warranty. It is a known manufacturing defect with Yaris parcel shelves. Toyota are aware of the problem and the new one they will fit for you under warranty is stitched not glued. The dealer told me they have changed loads of these under warranty.

Thanks for the info. I am planning to send my Yaris in for a winter check and shall ask if they can replace the parcel shelf too. Hope they don't make a fuss about the fact that I tried to fix it with double sided tape (that 'fix' lasted about 3 days).

• 2 weeks later...

Have replaced my parcel shelf with a new one with stiched on velcro strip. Happy that it is covered under warranty. Now hoping that I do not see the dealer again until the car's next service/MOT in April.