Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Headlight Problem

alexier

Hi there

I wonder if anyone could help me?

My Partner has an 56Reg Aygo and the other day the main headlight wouldn't come on, when he clicked the beam, that worked ok but the normal headlight wouldn't work at all. He changed the bulb and this made no difference and then he looked into the fuse box in case it was one of them.

Sadly we weren't sure

a/ which number fuse it was

b/ if it was even the fuse.

Any assistance gratefully recieved!

Alex :)

Hi Alex, I don't have a wiring diagram for the Aygo so this is just a guess!

If the dipped beam is coming on and the main beam flashes ok but the main beam does not switch on normally, I'm guessing that all wiring, fuses, grounds etc are ok. It looks to me like a faulty switch.

Might just be dirty contacts, have you tried exercising it (i.e. switching on and off repeatedly) with the power off.

Hi Alex, I don't have a wiring diagram for the Aygo so this is just a guess!

If the dipped beam is coming on and the main beam flashes ok but the main beam does not switch on normally, I'm guessing that all wiring, fuses, grounds etc are ok. It looks to me like a faulty switch.

Might just be dirty contacts, have you tried exercising it (i.e. switching on and off repeatedly) with the power off.

headlight relay rather than the fuse in my honest opinion

Each Headlamp has its own fuse, if a fuse blows the entire headlamp will not work, so no high beam and no dipped beam on that side.

If one of the functions doesn't work on both sides it's probably the switch or the wiring,

when one of the functions doesn't work on one side the bulb is the number one suspect...

But from the First post it's totally unclear to me whether there's a problem on one side or both...

And is the TS has the lights turned on properly: I.E. turn it away from you TWO clicks...

Each Headlamp has its own fuse, if a fuse blows the entire headlamp will not work, so no high beam and no dipped beam on that side.

If one of the functions doesn't work on both sides it's probably the switch or the wiring,

when one of the functions doesn't work on one side the bulb is the number one suspect...

But from the First post it's totally unclear to me whether there's a problem on one side or both...

And is the TS has the lights turned on properly: I.E. turn it away from you TWO clicks...

Its only on the drivers side :-)

So you've got no dipped beam on one side?

Then it's either the bulb (and even new bulbs can be bust) or the wiring.

You might want to try swapping the bulbs side to side, if the problem

persists on the original side it's the wiring, if not it really is the bulb...

• 4 years later...

I also have what sounds to be a similar issue. 57 plate Aygo. Both main headlights don't come on, but both sides will work on full beam. Sidelights only both sides. Have changed fuses and no joy, all research I've done seems to suggest a relay issue. Have tried switching the lights on and off several times to clear any dirt but this hasn't worked either. Does it sound like a relay or do you guys have any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

• 7 months later...

Hello, just wondered,did this issue with the headlights get sorted.?

The early Aygo's are getting to the age were the switches are failing, my Aygo (2006 )has only done 18000 mile but the indicator part of the column switch has corroded contacts ,this showed up one one side of the indicators failing to work or just  sporadic , I can see this corrosion also affecting headlamp part of the switch in time.

The Peugeot/Citreon column switch cost me around £85.00 or you can buy the Toyota one at £120.......same item ! Tricky to fit as air bag has to come off .

Geoff my indicator stalk plays up sometimes, it's always when you push the stalk upwards to indicate right occasionally it won't work, also when this happens I've noticed the hazard warning switch won't function, no clicking sound from it and no indicators on both sides.

I have to manually push it upwards and hold it for a few seconds and then it works fine for a few days.

Guess that's another thing to replace or I could avoid making right turns!😄

On a side note...never buy a secondhand one as it will have the some corrosion problem sooner or later .....they seem cheaper now then when I bought mine ......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Genuine-Peugeot-107-Citroen-C1-Indicator-Light-Switch-Stalk-6253A0-/161996760534?hash=item25b7c265d6:g:MpAAAOSwmrlUt7FE

I responded and asked if the problem had been solved on the Aygo as I still have a problem with my E11 1999 Toyota Corolla  and it appears it is exactly the same symptoms, albeit I have replaced the indicator/light stalk and this has not solved the problem, this is a steering wheel out, careful with the airbag job [disconnect ground at the neg post on the Battery then allow 5-10 mins before dismantling],better still follow the Haynes manual.However  I was probably listening to too many people who did not/do not have this problem.so just asking but did you get the problem sorted?