Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Carrier Seized On My 05 Cts. Help !

Abz-ae92

hey,

Just wondering if anyone could help me out on this issue i have with my 05 CTS brake caliper bracket also known as the carrier. My nearside front carrier is seized, whilst driving the discs are grinding agaisnt pad, i have just had my pads changed and the mechanic noticed that the carrier was seized,

I have not yet tried heating it up and see if it comes loose. I rung up MR T for the caliper bracket its 93.18 plus VAT! :crybaby: I was wondering if the e12 1.6 vvti (04) caliper carrier would fit my t sport? i know one for sale cheap at £20. MR T said that the 1.6 part number is different however the price is same, also he could not say if both parts same with different part numbers, i need your help, don't fancy paying over the odds, if anyone can help that be great!!.

Whilst am driving after a while you can hear the nearside front pads touch the discs, like its always on, doesn't sound too healthy either so its parked up atm. Also notcied when braking really hard, the car stops but eventually the brake pedal drops to the floor, is that ABS kicking in? and could the cause of it be to do with the carrier being sezied? atm when applying brakes hard one of the wheels locks up causing the pedal to drop down, feels scary! brakes are very important, i'd like to sort it out ASAP. Your help will be appreciated! :thumbsup:

hey,

Just wondering if anyone could help me out on this issue i have with my 05 CTS brake caliper bracket also known as the carrier. My nearside front carrier is seized, whilst driving the discs are grinding agaisnt pad, i have just had my pads changed and the mechanic noticed that the carrier was seized,

I have not yet tried heating it up and see if it comes loose. I rung up MR T for the caliper bracket its 93.18 plus VAT! :crybaby: I was wondering if the e12 1.6 vvti (04) caliper carrier would fit my t sport? i know one for sale cheap at £20. MR T said that the 1.6 part number is different however the price is same, also he could not say if both parts same with different part numbers, i need your help, don't fancy paying over the odds, if anyone can help that be great!!.

Whilst am driving after a while you can hear the nearside front pads touch the discs, like its always on, doesn't sound too healthy either so its parked up atm. Also notcied when braking really hard, the car stops but eventually the brake pedal drops to the floor, is that ABS kicking in? and could the cause of it be to do with the carrier being sezied? atm when applying brakes hard one of the wheels locks up causing the pedal to drop down, feels scary! brakes are very important, i'd like to sort it out ASAP. Your help will be appreciated! :thumbsup:

You need to get the caliper working correctly before trying to diagnose anything else. Pedal to the floor suggests air in the system. If the 1.6 has the same disc size (275mm?) there is a good chance that the carrier is compatible.

dunno if the 1.6 has 275mm discs but i know my 2.0 diesel does so that may help you. i have a seized slider and i need a slider kit from toyota as well lol

The brake pedal drops when you brake really hard, does this mean there is air in the system, would bleeding all four brakes reslove this issue? . When the car is off, i pump the brake pedal a few times, then it goes solid where you can not push anymore, if there is air in the system wouldn't the brake pedal feel spongy? Thanks

It is normal its the abs dont worry about it.

Your right in saying that if there was air in your brakes the pedal would feel spongy.

the only carrier that will fit is from the diesel. all the cars have the same piston but the carrier on the tsport and d4d are the same. the others are different.

you can add new guide pins to your £93 too, they will most likely be bent to a degree.

The brake pedal drops when you brake really hard, does this mean there is air in the system, would bleeding all four brakes reslove this issue? . When the car is off, i pump the brake pedal a few times, then it goes solid where you can not push anymore, if there is air in the system wouldn't the brake pedal feel spongy? Thanks

Hi,

This might help ...

Posted 17 March 2010 - 11:09 AM

This is a well known and documented feature on all Toyota models with ABS & EBD, I think you will find the brakes are not faulty (Of course this MUST be determined by inspection, dont just take my word for it)

This is from the workshop procedure/service bulletins

If a large braking force is applied when the vehicle is stationary, the lack of feedback

from the brake system will allow the operator/driver to depress the pedal to the floor,

giving the feeling of lack of brake performance. If the same pedal force were to be

applied by the driver when driving, the brake force realised would be extremely high. The

driver would normally sense this, so such a great pedal force would not be applied. This

is a normal and expected condition. This applies to all Toyota vehicles fitted with A.B.S. &

Electronic Brakeforce Distribution.

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hey abz, im a little confused (easily done) - when you say seized, do you mean you can't unbolt it?

Are you sure you dont mean the piston or slider pins have seized?, as the carrier just holds the pads in place and is fairly static (hovers a couple of mm either side of the disc). From the carrier, the slider pins move in and out with the main caliper body as the braking force is applied.

The pad retainers can be a little fiddly, sometimes making it very difficult to take the pads in and out without a little grease on the edges of the pads. But even when the pads have been difficult to put in, when the brakes were off they never grinded that badly.

Yea ABS, totally normal - freaks me out when driving on ice.

• 1 month later...

Hey abz, im a little confused (easily done) - when you say seized, do you mean you can't unbolt it?

Are you sure you dont mean the piston or slider pins have seized?, as the carrier just holds the pads in place and is fairly static (hovers a couple of mm either side of the disc). From the carrier, the slider pins move in and out with the main caliper body as the braking force is applied.

The pad retainers can be a little fiddly, sometimes making it very difficult to take the pads in and out without a little grease on the edges of the pads. But even when the pads have been difficult to put in, when the brakes were off they never grinded that badly.

Yea ABS, totally normal - freaks me out when driving on ice.

I think the caliper carrier has slider pins one on top and one on bottom, they are sezied i think, if the slider pins are sezied would that be the cause of the discs and pads grinding slightly whilst im driving? when i got new pads put in, the slider bolt was seized, i've been away for a while now need to sort this issue out asap. I think the caliper piston are ok just the sliders are sezied which are on the carrier, can someone confirm please. thanks

. I think the caliper piston are ok just the sliders are sezied which are on the carrier, can someone confirm please. thanks

Well you only have one piston so the idea of the sliding guide pins is to allow the pistons force to be applied to both pads.

You say they are seized - are you refering to the hex headed bolts that secures the guide pins or that you cannot feel any movement in the guide pins by rocking the caliper body ?

Give the bolts and guide pins a good soak in wd40 or other penetraying fluid, overnight best.

Those bolts are only tightened to a quite low torque so should undo easily, unless badly corroded.

After the bolts are removed you should be able to slip off the rubber cover and slide out the pins, but I would think you may find they have corroded around the neck of the pins where the rubber boot covers them.

If you can get them out and they clean up ok you can use some rubber grease and refit, if not then its Mr T for a new set of guide pins.

Its probably the lower pin thats worse, the road muck and water gets to it easier.