Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hid Kit Help

★★★★★™

Hi everyone, been a while since I've been on here, because I havent had a single problem with my Corolla (as of yet).

Now, a few months back I installed a HID kit (6000k 35w bulbs) and one of my bulbs has gone out, I kinda snapped the white filament thing during installation, but its lasted me till now.

Ive found someone who is selling the same bulbs for cheap, but they are 50w bulbs instead of the 35w that I have installed. Would I need a new ballast for these, or would my existing ballasts do? The ballasts came with the 35w kit.

Thanks.

as said, stick with the 35w

first off you would have to change the 2, they would be too strong and may be blinding to other road users :thumbsup:

bulbs are fairly cheap, ild say you will get 1 for about £15

Thanks guys,

yeah, HIDs Direct are doing a set for £17

Iv seen that they do H7R (anti-glare) bulbs too. Whats the difference between H7 and H7R? And can I fit them on the Rolla?

they charge you a premium for what is effectly a piece of black sellotape stuck on a particular part of the bulb which "reduces glare". i personally think it's boll*cks if you're headlights are correctly aligned as per MOT standards and you're not an idiot by keeping them fully up then you won't glare or dazzle anyone.

That first link is an interesting read, chipped ecu a fail.

An mot will have to last over an hour to check the extra stuff that means it will cost more.

the guy who does my mot is one of my good friends so im not too fussed about stuff like that. until the police pull me over and give me a ticket telling me to remove my hids or there'll be consequences i'm going to keep my hids and probably beyond that too. i have front tints knowing they are too dark, but boo hoo the way i see it it's my car i do what i like to it.

the people who have hids have brought this upon themselves by being idiots and i blame those people if hids become a hot topic and people start getting pulled for them. idiots who don't have their light adjusted or have their headlights set fully up from the drivers adjustment in the car should be shot. its because of thosse people other road users complain of "glare" and "dazzle"...try looking at a set of ordinary halogen headlamps which are poorly adjusted and really high up...i think you'll find you are also getting glare and dazzled with halogens.

incidentally the above is not an attack or not aimed at anyone who has posted in this topic before me, i thank those members for bring to my attention changes to mot regulations etc i was not aware of but as you can see i've drawn my battle lines.

For those who have fitted after-market HID lights it may be worth reading through both links below.:)

http://wrecks2riches.co.uk/2010/10/2011-changes-to-mot/

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

the first link is the only place i can find anything about MOTS and given the rest of the stuff in there I don't believe it for a second. The bit about chipped ECUs would be almost impossible to enforce.

the guy who does my mot is one of my good friends so im not too fussed about stuff like that. until the police pull me over and give me a ticket telling me to remove my hids or there'll be consequences i'm going to keep my hids and probably beyond that too. i have front tints knowing they are too dark, but boo hoo the way i see it it's my car i do what i like to it.

the people who have hids have brought this upon themselves by being idiots and i blame those people if hids become a hot topic and people start getting pulled for them. idiots who don't have their light adjusted or have their headlights set fully up from the drivers adjustment in the car should be shot. its because of thosse people other road users complain of "glare" and "dazzle"...try looking at a set of ordinary halogen headlamps which are poorly adjusted and really high up...i think you'll find you are also getting glare and dazzled with halogens.

incidentally the above is not an attack or not aimed at anyone who has posted in this topic before me, i thank those members for bring to my attention changes to mot regulations etc i was not aware of but as you can see i've drawn my battle lines.

I agree with you fella :)

I've had my hids fitted for over a year now, no hassle with police or mot. I've adjusted the level after being flashed contstantly being on level 1 and since changing have had no problems. Will see how mot goes with hids in full beam then go from there :)

Bridges

I agree with you fella :)

I've had my hids fitted for over a year now, no hassle with police or mot. I've adjusted the level after being flashed contstantly being on level 1 and since changing have had no problems. Will see how mot goes with hids in full beam then go from there :)

Bridges

on level 1 on the controller thingy in the car i get flashed only sometimes. 0 is guaranteed flash and 2 is totally safe for me :)

I have the anti glare bulbs with the black tape cost about £10 extra and have not been flashed in 3 months on level 0

Just because no other driver has flashed their headlights doesn't mean you headlights are safe for other drivers.

Sorry I fail to see the logic in the above post. Could you explain the rationale behind your comment.:)

I have the anti glare bulbs with the black tape cost about £10 extra and have not been flashed in 3 months on level 0

Just because no other driver has flashed their headlights doesn't mean you headlights are safe for other drivers.

this maybe the case however if absolutely no one has flashed at you then this is a very good indicator that they are safe, people are always willing to display their displeasure on the road and personally i think other drivers would definitely flash or horn or let you know they are not happy with your lights blinding them; as they have done many times with me before i got my lights adjusted.

in my personal experience the mark 4 VAG range and older vauxhall headlamps seem to cause the most glare to me personally. other than that most modern (meaning after 2004) reflectors seem to manage the glare fine for me. i dont know if anyone shares this experience...

Sorry I fail to see the logic in the above post. Could you explain the rationale behind your comment.:)

A rocket explorer named Wright

Once traveled much faster than light.

He set out one day

In a relative way,

And returned on the previous night.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links