Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick Adjust Handbrake

branney

Hi, I checked my Haynes manual and it recommends to remove the front seats and the rear centre console.

However, i can see a bolt from above without removing anything. I can't get a spanner in properly to tighten it - just enough to see that the bolt is pretty loose.

I am a novice, but I am sure my dad used to have spanner/socket type things which were at an angle, which would be able to get in without removing everything.

Before I go to the shop to buy one, can anyone tell me the size I need to buy (in inches and/or mm please)?

whip off both rear wheels, remove the rubber grommet from the drum and adjust from there - at least thats what i/my mechanic does. i've never seen the handbrake adjusted from the lever in the cabin and i dont know what if any difference it makes. certainly doing it my way seems easier than messing about with removal of seats/console then you get the whole sticky situation about the airbag connectors etc

thanks cD4D. dont have axle stands though. :(

someone tightened the handbrake for me before at an autotest, with just a simple spanner. at the next one i went to, he wasn't there, and i couldn't get one to fit. so i know it can definitely be done!

You might want to adjust from inside the car aswell, it is ok adjusting at the wheels but if the cable has stretched you will probably need to adjust at the lever aswell to bring the clicks down a bit.

Did mine a while back at the wheels but needed to adjust at the lever also to get the clicks down from about 9 to 6.

i take it you have a GTi? if so as long as the rear callipers are adjusted correctly all you need is a deep 10mm socket down through the slot where the handbrake comes through. tighten the 10mm nut you see on the end of the cable (pointing up tward the roof) do this with the hand brake off and keep checking that the rear wheels still turn freely.

thanks eddie and dawesy. ok, so "deep socket" is what it is called! i didn't know the name for it. and 10mm is what i want - sorted :)

looking on eBay, i am seeing sockets 10mm deep with different sizes of drive on them.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=10mm+deep+socket&_sc=1&_sop=15&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301

do you mean i need a 10mm drive?

the click-wrench thing i have has a square head, which i measure as 12mm, and the socket which is on it has a square hole, which i measure as 13mm.

am i looking for a deep socket with 10mm drive and 12.5mm square connector? if so, what depth do i need?

sorry, i am not au fait with the terminology, but i want/need to learn!

sounds like you have a 1/2" drive socket set. so you would need a 1/2" drive 10mm deep socket

like this one

looking on ebay, i am seeing sockets 10mm deep with different sizes of drive on them.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=10mm+deep+socket&_sc=1&_sop=15&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301

do you mean i need a 10mm drive?

the click-wrench thing i have has a square head, which i measure as 12mm, and the socket which is on it has a square hole, which i measure as 13mm.

am i looking for a deep socket with 10mm drive and 12.5mm square connector? if so, what depth do i need?

sorry, i am not au fait with the terminology, but i want/need to learn!

Half inch socket and drive with 10mm socket fitment for nut and quite deep from top to bottom so it has enough lengh to fit over your threaded bar.

The AE92 Handbrake is about as effective as coating the wheels with butter, so don't expect a massive difference.

But Dawesy is right on this one, the sockets are really easy to get hold of too! :thumbsup:

KP

sounds like you have a 1/2" drive socket set. so you would need a 1/2" drive 10mm deep socket

like this one

ok, that link describes it as a Hex Socket, and i can see the hexagonal bit pictured. is the hex bit the bit which goes over the nut?

the bit to go on my tool has to be square!? (maybe they all are, but i just wanted to be sure since i don't see a square bit in the picture)

thanks everyone! and we did get it tight enough for a handbrake turn in the dry last year, so here's hoping..

yeah all sockets have an hex one end and a square the other ;)