Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Won't Start

toulky

Over the last couple of weeks have noticed Battery was a bit flat so decided to put in on charge. It charged OK the green indicator showing Battery OK so re installed in car. The car is 2004 model with original Battery

Car will now not start. Turns engine over OK but not firing. Tried cranking it until battery flattened again but no joy.

Recharged battery with "smart charger" but car still not starting.

Everything else on car as far as electrics concerned are working. Have checked a number of fuses after calling MrT who suggested this but could not highlight which fuses to check but have not found any blown.

Car has always started firt turn of the key.

Help

Over the last couple of weeks have noticed battery was a bit flat so decided to put in on charge. It charged OK the green indicator showing battery OK so re installed in car. The car is 2004 model with original battery

Car will now not start. Turns engine over OK but not firing. Tried cranking it until battery flattened again but no joy.

Everything else on car as far as electrics concerned are working. Have checked a number of fuses after calling MrT who suggested this but could not highlight which fuses to check but have not found any blown.

Help

hi mate

you ll not solve this issue unless to change a Battery. the problem is with (+) terminal inside. yes the green indicator gives you a false info. i had it before on my rav and changed it under warranty.

cheers/Igor

Over the last couple of weeks have noticed battery was a bit flat so decided to put in on charge. It charged OK the green indicator showing battery OK so re installed in car. The car is 2004 model with original battery

Help

The problem is most likely the Battery. If you have another car that you can connect to with jumper leads try starting off their Battery to see if this is the problem.

Fitter

If you have a multimeter then try putting it on the terminals of the charged Battery to check the voltage of it. It should be over 12v really.

I'd expect a lead acid Battery to be near the end of its life by 6 years though.

Thanks for responses and suggestions about changing Battery. The Battery although 6 years old is turning starter motor/engine over quite briskly so would expect engine to fire but no sign of life.

Will try jumper leads from wife car tonight to see if it works.

If you have a multimeter then try putting it on the terminals of the charged battery to check the voltage of it. It should be over 12v really.

I'd expect a lead acid battery to be near the end of its life by 6 years though.

Just checked Battery voltage in car its reading 12.45V and it turns engine over well but no ignition. Petrol gauge is just below half

Just checked battery voltage in car its reading 12.45V and it turns engine over well but no ignition. Petrol gauge is just below half

Did you have the engine running for a short time before you disconnected the Battery, e.g. to move the car a few yards? If so, you may have flooded it. I had this happen once on a 2001 1.3 VVTI Yaris. The user manual tells you how to fix it - basically you hold down the Accelerator while starting. It took a good while to clear it on my Yaris, so you'll likely need your Battery fully charged again.

Just checked battery voltage in car its reading 12.45V and it turns engine over well but no ignition. Petrol gauge is just below half

Did you have the engine running for a short time before you disconnected the Battery, e.g. to move the car a few yards? If so, you may have flooded it. I had this happen once on a 2001 1.3 VVTI Yaris. The user manual tells you how to fix it - basically you hold down the Accelerator while starting. It took a good while to clear it on my Yaris, so you'll likely need your Battery fully charged again.

No the car had been parked in drive overnight and put Battery on charge following day. I wonder if it has something to do with immobiliser ??

The car does not attempt to start when engine turning over whereas it has always fired up as soon as key is turned.

Looks like it will have to go to garage question is should I try a local garage in case they not have equipment to do diagnostics or back to Toyota which is 20 miles away. Green Flag my breakdown cover will transport car to any garage within 10 mile radius of breakdown point according to policy.

Other slight problem is may have to tow car up road a distance as dont have home start :-(

There's a saga on here about my 1998 1.8 GS and it's starting issues.

In the end replacing the crankshaft sensor appears to have solved the problem and she starts again even when cold as ice.

Have you tried bump starting it and jump starting it ?

Mine was fine till it very suddenly started really playing up. Turned but would not fire. Until the garage got it then it would start every time.

Ahh! (1.8 GS in 1998 was 7AFE rather than VVTI but worth a check).

Have you managed to get any engine managament codes off it ? This could give you at least some ideas.

All the best.

Pete.

In the end replacing the crankshaft sensor appears to have solved the problem and she starts again even when cold as ice.

Mine was fine till it very suddenly started really playing up. Turned but would not fire. Until the garage got it then it would start every time.

Have you managed to get any engine managament codes off it ? This could give you at least some ideas.

All the best.

Pete.

All the best.

Pete.

Well thanks for all the replies concerning the starting problem.

Ended up calling my breakdown cover green flag. Van turned up after 30 mins and guy immediately said "flooded engine"

Hooked up his portable jump start kit but failed to start car.

He removed injection relay and attached jump leads to his transit. After a couple of minutes trying car kicked into life.Left car ticking over for a few minutes then drove around to charge Battery up.

Well done Green Flag.

The Battery is on its way out though so have ordered replacement, still did not need to visit Mr T garage for costly repair.

Did not suspect it was flooded engine as car had stood idle for 3-4 days but guy said once flooded, every time you try to start engine it just makes matters worse.

I was thinking electrical fault due to removing Battery to charge so there you go :-).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links