Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Brake Problem-Not Rotors

tringo007

Hello, 2008 Toyota Yaris (no ABS) brake pedal pulsates / shakes only when pressing on the brake up to about half way down. No impact on the steering or anything else, only the pedal. Brakes hold fine, do not feel spongy or anything else. It happens more when engine is warm and happens when car in motion AND when completely stationery. It also does not happen with every brake press when engine is warm, but about half the time. The shaking is pretty significant and you can even hear it from the passenger side. Following has been done to no avail:

1) Changed rotors (no improvement)

2) Changed brake booster (no improvement)

3) Changed Master brake cylinder and im assuming fluid when this was done (reduced intensity of shaking slightly)

2) Checked wheel lug nut torque and tightened evenly to specification.

3) Checked brake caliper & caliper bracket mounting bolt torque and inspected for looseness. Torqued the mounting bolts and inspected for wear or any looseness, including worn mounting brackets, bushings and sliding pins.

4) Checked wheel bearing for looseness.

Toyota dealer said it happens with some toyota's when diaphragm shakes and it is perfectly safe and fine to ignore but i did not accept this and after complaints they changed master cylinder and brake booster to no avail and they do not know why problem still exists. They do not know what to do next. Also carried to independent mechanic who cannot identify cause after checking everything. What could be the problem?

Thanks..

Rene

Hello, 2008 Toyota Yaris (no ABS) brake pedal pulsates / shakes only when pressing on the brake up to about half way down. No impact on the steering or anything else, only the pedal. Brakes hold fine, do not feel spongy or anything else. It happens more when engine is warm and happens when car in motion AND when completely stationery. It also does not happen with every brake press when engine is warm, but about half the time. The shaking is pretty significant and you can even hear it from the passenger side. Following has been done to no avail:

1) Changed rotors (no improvement)

2) Changed brake booster (no improvement)

3) Changed Master brake cylinder and im assuming fluid when this was done (reduced intensity of shaking slightly)

2) Checked wheel lug nut torque and tightened evenly to specification.

3) Checked brake caliper & caliper bracket mounting bolt torque and inspected for looseness. Torqued the mounting bolts and inspected for wear or any looseness, including worn mounting brackets, bushings and sliding pins.

4) Checked wheel bearing for looseness.

Toyota dealer said it happens with some toyota's when diaphragm shakes and it is perfectly safe and fine to ignore but i did not accept this and after complaints they changed master cylinder and brake booster to no avail and they do not know why problem still exists. They do not know what to do next. Also carried to independent mechanic who cannot identify cause after checking everything. What could be the problem?

Thanks..

Rene

Definitely no ABS? Iam sure all Yaris here in Europe have ABS - I think it is European law that all cars have to have it, the pedal on our ABS models pulsates, but only when driving & if the wheels are about to lock on say a wet road, but if your U.S. Yaris does not have ABS it can't be a problem with the ABS system which could make it pulsate.

I am sure you must have ABS! I would change the sensor and see if that improves things. Is it a stop start car or mmt-thingamyjig? May be to do with that, if it is.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links