Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Conditioning Service

Crustynuggets

Hi Guys.

As for re-gassing, yes, car a/c systems should be fully 'vacced-out' before adding new refrigerant if you're going to do it properly. Car a/c systems use very small amounts of refrigerant gas compared to commercial / industrial systems, so getting the quantity right is crucial. Add too much and the compressor will die in no time. You can buy the top-up kits from Halfords etc where you can add refrigerant yourself, but this is a very hit-and-miss way of doing it. If it were my car I'd be doing a full vac-out and re-fill.

As for the smelly air in the cabin, the first thing to check, and the most likely cause is a dirty cabin filter. Take out the glovebox and it sits just behind there. The filter will slide straight out once the glovebox is out of the way. If it's full of dirt / clogged-up, change it and you should be all sorted and smell free! Simples! :)

Failing that, your condensate line may be blocked meaning the condensate water sits around the coil rather than drain out. If it gets trapped it can get into the cabin and go stale in no-time. Are there any damp patches in the front footwells?

Like I said, the most likely thing causing it is a blocked filter, so I'd check / change that first. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

many years ago i went on a air con course while i was working for british rail.but forgot most of it now, thats when the first air condition coaches arrived.but do remember being told idealy an air con system should be evacuated for 24 hours.this would not happen in a workshop,or indeed in production of a car.my brother inlaw in canada,who was before he retired an auto electrian in a general motors dealership told that which part of the usa a car was built,if it was a dry climate (ie arizona) or dampish this would have a bearing how reliable the air con would be over its life time.

• 4 years later...

I recently purchased a 04 avensis and air con not working. Would you suggest I take it to Toyota or possibly someone cheaper. should I hear the revs picking up when I switch it on? Its a petrol model.

Most cars lose up to 5% of their refrigerant each year. It is easy to service it yourself. A gauge applicator can be bought on e bay for a few pounds. The gas can be bought at Halfords. It is EZ Chill. The cost is £39.95 which includes £10 refundable when you return the empty container. In the engine compartment the return pipe to the condenser has a cap labelled LP.(low pressure) This unscrews to reveal a Schrader valve (similar to a tyre valve). The ambient temperature should be above 18C and with the engine running turn the car temperature control to minimum and allow the air conditioning to run for 3 or 4 minutes. Push the connector on the gauge onto the LP valve and check that the needle is in the green zone. If it is low or in the white section attach the gas container to the gauge and pull the trigger. Release the trigger occasionally to check the pressure which should be in the centre of the green zone. Instructions come with the gauge applicator.

Thanks fitter, much appreciated, i'll try that