Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mot Emission Test Fail '99'1.8 Avensis

brad_pj

Hi, I'm new to the forum and trying to find a little info if possible. Had a search around but with no luck.

I took my 1.8 Avensis for it's MOT today and it failed quite badly on the emissions test. Other than that and slight headlight aim it was fine. I hoping somebody might be able to point me in the direction of a common cause of Avensis emissions failures. I replaced the Cat 2 years ago following an MOT failure and the tester again suggest this is what I need to replace, my concern is that this will just temporarily mask what may be an underlying issue.

The results were:

Fast Idle Test

CO: MAX 0.300, ACTUAL 0.586 FAIL

HC ppm: MAX 200, ACTUAL 107 PASS

LAMBDA: MIN 0.970, MAX 1.030 ACTUAL 1.010 PASS

2nd FAST Idle Test

CO: MAX 0.300, ACTUAL 0.312 FAIL

HC ppm: MAX 200, ACTUAL 325 FAIL

LAMBDA: MIN 0.970, MAX 1.030 ACTUAL 1.040 FAIL

NATURAL Idle Test

CO: MAX 0.500, ACTUAL 0.279 PASS

If anyone can offer there experiences or advice it'd be great and hopefully save me the painful cost of trial and error.

Thanks,

Brad

Hi, I'm new to the forum and trying to find a little info if possible. Had a search around but with no luck.

I took my 1.8 Avensis for it's MOT today and it failed quite badly on the emissions test. Other than that and slight headlight aim it was fine. I hoping somebody might be able to point me in the direction of a common cause of Avensis emissions failures. I replaced the Cat 2 years ago following an MOT failure and the tester again suggest this is what I need to replace, my concern is that this will just temporarily mask what may be an underlying issue.

The results were:

Fast Idle Test

CO: MAX 0.300, ACTUAL 0.586 FAIL

HC ppm: MAX 200, ACTUAL 107 PASS

LAMBDA: MIN 0.970, MAX 1.030 ACTUAL 1.010 PASS

2nd FAST Idle Test

CO: MAX 0.300, ACTUAL 0.312 FAIL

HC ppm: MAX 200, ACTUAL 325 FAIL

LAMBDA: MIN 0.970, MAX 1.030 ACTUAL 1.040 FAIL

NATURAL Idle Test

CO: MAX 0.500, ACTUAL 0.279 PASS

If anyone can offer there experiences or advice it'd be great and hopefully save me the painful cost of trial and error.

Thanks,

Brad

Hi Brad, the advice I can give you today depends on how friendly you MOT station is. I my experience if you drive the car around town a lot or for just short journeys the catalytic converter or never really get hot enough and can give you the fail results you gave. What's required now is the car needs a good thrashing to put it bluntly for quite some time once the engine is at full working temp, this will get the Cat working correctly (hopefully) and also it may remove any residue from the lambda sensors. Your car needs to be put back through the emissions test as soon as possible after this and this is where your friendly MOT man comes in, will he do an emissions test on this basis for you? I have seen many vehicles potentially fail the test with the engine up to working temperature but then the tester has revved the engine at 4-5k revs for a few minutes and seen the emission values fall to a pass level, bingo! Apart from this and assuming that the air filter is clean etc anything else will cost you big money, my advice will only cost you some petrol and a re-test fee.;).

Best regards and good luck Pete.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I had the same problem - did not pass MOT because of emissions. My car ('01 1.6 Avensis) had "check engine" light on. Took it to the service and found that there was an oil leak in the engine. Mechanic replaced piston rings and some other engine parts. After that car passed emissoin test. "Check engine" was on because of bad performance of the catalyc converter, that was messed up because of oil leak. But in fact I did not change it.

• 1 month later...

hi iv had 2 cars fail an mot just like you. both times the emmisions were too high. a bottle of injector cleaner to half tank of fuel, take it a run up motorway for about 50 miles, problem solved. worked twice with me , cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Big Dumper 3................Are you ever going to reply to Jims question?

It was asked on 27th December......Just after Christmas!

Big Dumper 3................Are you ever going to reply to Jims question?

It was asked on 27th December......Just after Christmas!

In another thread Big Dumper 3 anounced that he was disappointed with the forum, after not getting a response to a thread he posted on boxing day. I just posted a response to his problem.

On your car failing the emissions and you have done what the others have said, has the oil benn changed? I change my oil twice a year, plus I use Castrol magnetic 10/40w. My Avenis is 1998 1.8 with 110k, and runs smoothly. I have had it since 2003.

If nothing simple works then the engine is worn or the valve guides are letting oil into the combustion chamber.

Another thing to check is the vacuum switch that actuates the secondary valves on the inlet manifold. I had to fix mine back when it detached.

The lean burn sensor may need changing or your cat has failed already! Lets hope it just needs a need air filter and a good thrash.

See how you go. :thumbsup: