Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Drive From Germany

kevin h

Just got back from my annual trip to Germany.

Total mileage 1029, fuel used 76.3l MPG overall 61.3 mpg.

Journey there was 67mpg but had a quick 130 mile run which bought it all down to 62mpg.

The run back was a bit quicker than on the way and the weather was terrible.

Anyway, the SATNAV really let me down. Roads that have existed for at least 4 years where not identified and silly me taking note of the directions given, ended up in the middle of Eindhoven and I then turned of the useless system which could not get me back using the existing roads as it didn't recognise them.

Anyway, 40 minutes later the blue line on the satnav eventually fell on a road I was following and all was well.

Petrol is cheaper hear in the UK, so I had calculated arriving in Dover with 20 miles of fuel left, but 30 miles short of dunkirk my computer said I'd run out.

Being the tight fisted bugger that I am, I carriued on driving, arrived at the port, got off in Dover and drove all the way to Gillingham (Tesco, 5p off a litre)and filled up with 39 litres. Thats about 75 miles on a flashing fuel guage and still having 5 litres left in the tank. I should have gone abit further

So, all in all quite a good drive. Totally relaxed whilst lost and hoping that everything you have heard about the fuel tank is true.

Journey there was 67mpg but had a quick 130 mile run which bought it all down to 62mpg.

Anyway, the SATNAV really let me down. Roads that have existed for at least 4 years where not identified and silly me taking note of the directions given, ended up in the middle of Eindhoven and I then turned of the useless system which could not get me back using the existing roads as it didn't recognise them.

Anyway, 40 minutes later the blue line on the satnav eventually fell on a road I was following and all was well.

Petrol is cheaper hear in the UK, so I had calculated arriving in Dover with 20 miles of fuel left, but 30 miles short of dunkirk my computer said I'd run out.

Being the tight fisted bugger that I am, I carriued on driving, arrived at the port, got off in Dover and drove all the way to Gillingham (Tesco, 5p off a litre)and filled up with 39 litres. Thats about 75 miles on a flashing fuel guage and still having 5 litres left in the tank. I should have gone abit further

So, all in all quite a good drive. Totally relaxed whilst lost and hoping that everything you have heard about the fuel tank is true.

Kevin, don't be to harsh on your SATNAV. I live in Holland, and the roads around Eindhoven have been changed completely this year. They "look" the same, but al junctions on the highway have been changed there. I don't know if the signs are still there but at the beginnig of this year there were signs "GPS Uitzetten". Translated: Turn off your SATNAV. You will get lost with every SATNAV.

So don't blame Toyota or Navteq for this one ;) And yes, there are quite some faults in the Navteq database... in my town lies a roundabout for about 4 years now... and it is not on the map. A roundabout which is constructed 2 years ago 1 mile down the road is on the map. So I don't know how they update... but they are not always correct ;)

Cheers Michel.

Kevin, did you alter the clock in your car whilst on the continent... The hour difference would have put you in the wrong place I believe....

Kevin, did you alter the clock in your car whilst on the continent... The hour difference would have put you in the wrong place I believe....

Didn't change the satnav time and it made no difference to positioning.

The system was brilliant in Germany.

Didn't change the satnav time and it made no difference to positioning.

The system was brilliant in Germany.

Maybe it was just where you were at the time then :thumbsup:

Kevin, don't be to harsh on your SATNAV. I live in Holland, and the roads around Eindhoven have been changed completely this year. They "look" the same, but al junctions on the highway have been changed there. I don't know if the signs are still there but at the beginnig of this year there were signs "GPS Uitzetten". Translated: Turn off your SATNAV. You will get lost with every SATNAV.

So don't blame Toyota or Navteq for this one ;) And yes, there are quite some faults in the Navteq database... in my town lies a roundabout for about 4 years now... and it is not on the map. A roundabout which is constructed 2 years ago 1 mile down the road is on the map. So I don't know how they update... but they are not always correct ;)

Cheers Michel.

Your not wrong, that new revamped route going from the E40 towards Amsterdam (A2 I beleive) were unbeleivable, and could you turn off? (Nope)

I had assumed that because the slip road from the E40 had appeared some 3 years ago the whole thing was at least that old and would have been on the satnav.

I have a major junction that was completed 1 year ago, 1 year after getting the car, but it had been planned and was reflected on the satnav.