Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disable Shift Up/down Display

Regdog

Hi, I'm looking for some advice how or if it is possible to disable the "shift gear" display on the dashboard. It's just useless information in my eyes and I could very well do without it. In fact, I would like my Auris even more without this distracting blinking arrow.

I haven't found any info on google or this forum, so if anybody has a clue, please let me now.

Doubt it's possible even via Toyota dealer software. Dismantling the panel and removing the LED's would definitely fix it ;)

You just get used to it after a very short while, by changing gear using the light, they say you can save up to 8% on your MPG

You really just dont notice it after a while

Kingo :thumbsup:

You just get used to it after a very short while, by changing gear using the light, they say you can save up to 8% on your MPG

You really just dont notice it after a while

Kingo :thumbsup:

Totally agree. I used to have arguements with it, but now I drive by it. Unless of course I want to go a tad fast, not that I would. :rolleyes:

I thought it was going to be a nuisance, but i have found that i'm usually changing gear just as it flashes, so my driving style can't be too bad for economy. I think it might be a bit eager on some shallow inclines, but its not intrusive when your driving.

I quite like it, especially on hills when I may change up and find im labouring the engine... But its funny, I'll see it say 'Shift up' and im like 'nuh huh! I know the steep part is coming' and about half a second later it agrees with me :)

I quite like it, especially on hills when I may change up and find im labouring the engine... But its funny, I'll see it say 'Shift up' and im like 'nuh huh! I know the steep part is coming' and about half a second later it agrees with me :)

The shift display is definately smart, I'm not arguing that. But still, when I get annoyed by something I don't give up so easily :rolleyes:.

Are there any good instructions on how to remove the dashboard cover? I think snippet of electrical tape should do the trick for me, but I'm afraid to do the handywork myself unless I exactly know what I'm supposed to be doing.

The shift display is definately smart, I'm not arguing that. But still, when I get annoyed by something I don't give up so easily :rolleyes:.

Are there any good instructions on how to remove the dashboard cover? I think snippet of electrical tape should do the trick for me, but I'm afraid to do the handywork myself unless I exactly know what I'm supposed to be doing.

hi

the cover just pulls off.just get a good two hand grip of it and give good tug.its held by 4 clips.

the instrument panel has 4 screws holding it.once these are removed there is enough cable behind it to lay it on the dash,best lay a cloth on dash so you dont scratch it.

• 9 years later...

Hi, I know I'm late to the thread but I have a question. My Corolla has a multi information display and where the gear indicator light is, it says 'SHIFT'. This stays on permanently and is never accompanied with either up or down arrows even when I delay the gear changes. Is there something wrong? Should shift up arrows appear?

On 11/1/2020 at 7:08 PM, Faheem said:

Hi, I know I'm late to the thread but I have a question. My Corolla has a multi information display and where the gear indicator light is, it says 'SHIFT'. This stays on permanently and is never accompanied with either up or down arrows even when I delay the gear changes. Is there something wrong? Should shift up arrows appear?

When you say gear indicator light have you got a Manual, Mutli-mode or CVT transmission?