Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Coolant Leak

funkyg

Well, the time has come and my Avensis is on it's way.

Was considering getting a new(er) and more economical car after Christmas anyway due to high fuel bills (£60 a week in petrol) but the trusty Avensis has forced my hand.

Noticed the fans coming on last Thursday as I was slowing down and thought hmm, that's odd. Temp gauge was showing normal.

Driving to work the following day and the temp gauge was getting close to red even, no heat from the heater even on full. Pulled over and discovered it was piddling out coolant from the back of the engine. I was only round the corner from work at this time so left it there. Filled up the radiator at lunch time and took it to the local tyre place who allowed me to use thier ramp to have a look underneath to see where it was leaking from.

It was right at the back of the engine close to the bulk head. Is this where it goes into the cabin for the heater matrix?

I know many people don't like the stuff but I put some Radweld Plus in which seems to have stopped the leak. One week on still no leaks.

Only issue I have now is the heater. Even though the temp gauge gets to normal, there is no heat from the heater until probably about ten minutes after getting up to temp. Does this sound like a heater matrix blockage due to the Radweld? What also happens is the exansion tank fills up to almost the top.

I'm guessing the reason for the leak in the first place is my neglect of the cooling system. I know that coolant loses some of it's properties over time one of which being anti corrosives. In 6 years I have never flushed or replaced the coolant. Should I have?

I pick up the new car next week anyway, I just need to nurse this around till then!

I can't complain. For the six years and 133000 miles I've had it the Avensis has been rock solid, no major problems, never left me stranded.

And you guys have always been there just in case. So thank you to you all!

It's rare for the dreaded coolant additive to block the heater matrix that quickly. Sounds more like you may have an air-lock. Try bleeding the coolant system.:)

Well, the time has come and my Avensis is on it's way.

Was considering getting a new(er) and more economical car after Christmas anyway due to high fuel bills (£60 a week in petrol) but the trusty Avensis has forced my hand.

Noticed the fans coming on last Thursday as I was slowing down and thought hmm, that's odd. Temp gauge was showing normal.

Driving to work the following day and the temp gauge was getting close to red even, no heat from the heater even on full. Pulled over and discovered it was piddling out coolant from the back of the engine. I was only round the corner from work at this time so left it there. Filled up the radiator at lunch time and took it to the local tyre place who allowed me to use thier ramp to have a look underneath to see where it was leaking from.

It was right at the back of the engine close to the bulk head. Is this where it goes into the cabin for the heater matrix?

I know many people don't like the stuff but I put some Radweld Plus in which seems to have stopped the leak. One week on still no leaks.

Only issue I have now is the heater. Even though the temp gauge gets to normal, there is no heat from the heater until probably about ten minutes after getting up to temp. Does this sound like a heater matrix blockage due to the Radweld? What also happens is the exansion tank fills up to almost the top.

I'm guessing the reason for the leak in the first place is my neglect of the cooling system. I know that coolant loses some of it's properties over time one of which being anti corrosives. In 6 years I have never flushed or replaced the coolant. Should I have?

I pick up the new car next week anyway, I just need to nurse this around till then!

I can't complain. For the six years and 133000 miles I've had it the Avensis has been rock solid, no major problems, never left me stranded.

And you guys have always been there just in case. So thank you to you all!

Hi mate, I agree with James 100% on this one, sorry to see you are leaving (if you are leaving us that is), tell us ................. what are you replacing it with?

Best regards Pete.:thumbsup:

Am getting a 59 plate Renault Megane 1.5 dCi.

I know, it's French! But they have made big in roads on thier reliability since the Renault Nissan alliance. And it's a cracking little car.

i know its a bit off topic , but my car has done the 100 k and the coolant is now due for replacement . can anyone point me in the direction of the engine drain plug an a 2004 2.0 d4d .

cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links