Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Painting A Grille

bat_mobil

I got a second hand TTE sport grille for me 2003 corolla prefacelift it is in silver but need it painting blue(colour of my corolla) is it easy to do ? what is needed to do it, like the process ? what type of sanding paper i need, i only ever sanded down primered and painted a un painted grille never experienced something thats already painted ? my concern is removing the silver paint already on it as i gues you dont just spray paint over it ! lol

Cheers

Don't need to remove all the paint just rough it up with some wet and dry, primer then paint and laquer.

Better of getting it done by a sprayer though it will be a proper job then :thumbsup:

Don't need to remove all the paint just rough it up with some wet and dry, primer then paint and laquer.

Better of getting it done by a sprayer though it will be a proper job then :thumbsup:

Cheers

We i got few stuff to do on the car some which need to be body shop anyway so may get them to do that same time, however my last attempt at painting a grille was gd turn out i thouhgt 3 yrs later still in good nick ! if only it was warmer i sure give it a go ! decisions...

Wet sand the silver down with grit level 800. Primer then leave to cure. Wet sand down again with grit level 1200. Primer again & leave to cure. Colour then dry. Could add another coat of colour as jap paint is soft and thin. Clearkoat around 3 times leaving to dry between coats :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Wet sand the silver down with grit level 800. Primer then leave to cure. Wet sand down again with grit level 1200.

Thanks, ok as far as stuff already painted im 'newbie' to this but wouldnt 'wet sand down again' defeat the object of giving it a coat of primer in first place ? ie paint & remove it again as sanding it down does that ?? not questioning your knowledge at all if it sounds like that, when it comes to this you know more than i do after all, i only ever prepped a unpainted grill so doing a painted one slightly different :) cheers

It will smooth down the first layer of primer so surface will be smoooooth for all other surfaces. Trust grit level 1200 won't rub the primer off much unless you rub hard which is not needed :thumbsup:

Some people wet sand the 1st stage of colour too.

It will smooth down the first layer of primer so surface will be smoooooth for all other surfaces. Trust grit level 1200 won't rub the primer off much unless you rub hard which is not needed :thumbsup:

Some people wet sand the 1st stage of colour too.

Agree :thumbsup:

It all depends how much time you want to spend on it and how good a job you want out of it.

Personally if it is worth doing it is worth doing right.