Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mot Changes For 2011

GreyRacer

This may be of some interest to some members who have these mods on their cars.

Changes start in December 2011, so still a 13 months.

From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenons. Easy to spot as xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Chipped ECUs - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECUs will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

Thanks for the heads up Greyracer.

This whole MOT thing is turning into a fiasco... no doubt these extra frivilous checks will add more cost to the MOT check and another exscuse to hike the fee up again, d'oh! I am convinced that the current MOT is just a device by the MAA to scavenge for work and for the government to fill its coffers! When I was an MOT tester fourty years ago, all that was checked was brakes, steering, lights and any chassis/body part that was weakened by rust or body damage that might affect a mechanical part of the car! Cameron & Glegg are reported to be 'rolling back the state'; its about time the MOT was re-examined, the price reduced and possibly an MOT only every 24 months or 12,000 miles (which ever comes first) as they do on the continent! Get this monkey off our back! I cover less than 5,000 miles a year and to have to have an MOT every year is rediculous... and is obviously just a cash cow for the MAA and government! Aghhhh... I feel better already. Flame on... :)

DaveH

From MOT from December 2011, the below changes will come into force, which will be very bad news for some.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.

The MAA? Where have you been? in a timewarp? :lol: That died about the time your very poor and sub standard, dodgy MOT ended! A dodgy tester could just write out an MOT in those bad dark times

Don't blame any of the motor industry bodies, the MOT has long been seen (as well as speeding, parking, bla bla bla) as another cash cow for the Government, but in my book absolutley required without question

These days nominated testers are required to be trained better than ever to keep dodgy, cut and shut heaps of scrap off the road. A lack of people spending money on repairs on their cars means more and more people without tax, insurance, dodgy tyres et al blasting up and down our motorways waiting to kill an innocent fee paying member of the public, quite possibly a member of your or mines family

Keep the MOT, make it tougher and hit people failing to have one with a heavy fine! Lets get the TENS OF THOUSANDS of cars without MOT off the roads, along with their owners!

Rant over, I'm off on holiday now :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I did say it had been a long time since I was in the motor trade! :) What happend to the MAA anyhow? I acknolwedge that cars have become more complicated (overerly so IMO), but I stand by my original premise that the MOT needs to be returned to a more basic test for brakes, steering, tyres and lights and anything that might affect those items. These are after all are the prime items that govern safety... things like cables rubbing togeather, if the engine is chipped and what type of bulb you have in the h/lamp are just garnish! 2012 may see the inclusion of MOT failure for 'your ashtray is full' therefore upsetting the balance of the car!

Some years ago I collected my daughters car from a garage she had booked it into for an MOT, it had failed with a list of mechanical faults, which of course they were only to pleased to 'rectify' (at a price)! I then took the car to a local bus station that I use for MOT's (they don't do repairs on private cars) and it passed with flying colours without any of these 'MOT failed' items being repaired! When I complained to the garage that IMO they were just harvesting for work... the answer they gave was that every item was a matter of an MOT inspectors opinion! So nothing could be proved... but we all know whats going down don't we!

I agree that drivers that run unsafe cars without MOT, tax or insurance should be hounded and prosecuted... but that has nothing to do with ripping the vast majority of the law abiding public off with unneccessarily complex MOT checks just to extract money from them! With regard to dodgy MOT testers... I am sure there were some around in my day, esp those related to car sales departments... but I am sure that still applies today as well! As I stated earlier... I take my vehicle to an MOT station that does not do repairs, so they have no axe to grind by failing a car except for a valid safety reason.

Emmm, anyway John, as you are in the motor trade, can you comment from a totally unbiased position? ;-)

DaveH

The MAA? Where have you been? in a timewarp? :lol: That died about the time your very poor and sub standard, dodgy MOT ended! A dodgy tester could just write out an MOT in those bad dark times

Don't blame any of the motor industry bodies, the MOT has long been seen (as well as speeding, parking, bla bla bla) as another cash cow for the Government, but in my book absolutley required without question

These days nominated testers are required to be trained better than ever to keep dodgy, cut and shut heaps of scrap off the road. A lack of people spending money on repairs on their cars means more and more people without tax, insurance, dodgy tyres et al blasting up and down our motorways waiting to kill an innocent fee paying member of the public, quite possibly a member of your or mines family

Keep the MOT, make it tougher and hit people failing to have one with a heavy fine! Lets get the TENS OF THOUSANDS of cars without MOT off the roads, along with their owners!

Rant over, I'm off on holiday now :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I would totally agree with Parts-King - here, here!!!

If we were to be honest with ourselves an MOT test is only a basic safety test and in many ways either forces or encourages motorists to maintain their cars as they ought to. Now I know of many people who claim to maintain their cars to a high standard but many of those I have came in contact with over my 40 years in the motor trade haven't a baldy notion as to exactly what is safe and what isn't and as vehicle technology comtinues to develop the more difficult it will become.

One thing I would urge is that MOT testing be removed from private companies and be inplemented by government approved agencies who are directly responsible to government and also subject to public scrutiny. The current UK mainland sytem is open to abuse by privateers and better still the governing body VOSA is abysmal when it comes to providing either advice or support for the public. Two examples of their failure spring to mind. When VOSA were asked to provide statistical analysis of MOT passes and failures they were reluctant to do so and when eventually pressurised in to doing produced the information in a form which was barely disconcernable by the ordinary folk. The second issue was the "bonnet failure" fiasco on Renault Clios. VOSA didn't even bother to carry out their own investigation but relied on Renault doing it themselves. Now to me that sounds very much like asking a criminal to investigate themselves.

Yes we have to accept the MOT testing is here to stay but not until the system is open and policed properly will it be fully accepted by all drivers - after all guess who is paying for such. As it is drivers have to pay towards a government system that is neither open to public scrutiny or effciency. Many other European countries have a 2 year test cycle with a more stringent level of testing but when this was proposed in the UK it was met with resistance - I wonder why eh!! Was it because the current test methods and standards weren't up to scratch or was the motor trade likely to loose easily generated income.

One aspect many people tend to overlook is that motor vehicles when new are given a type approval certificate which not only looks at safety factors such as brakes, lightning, etc but also the inherent structural, performance and electrical designs. If a driver does anything to alter any aspect of the vehicle which may infringe that approval then in fact the car is technically no longer roadworthy. For instance if the lighting, engine performance, load capacity, etc, etc, is altered then technically the vehicle fails to meet such standards.:)

wot a lot of pansies!

try driving in some of the smaller countries and you soon find the standard of car safety.... like Australia; Cyprus; USA ; Italy;..... and I can go on.

If you feel comfortable driving about in a death trap then you should be responsible! Why do the rest of us have to pay for a very expensive government quango to monitor what you legally should be doing yersel!

Near me 14 old people died through alleged negligence by a care home owner/s. Now, its not for mwe to pass judgement but I did give the Government some expertise opinion at the time which led to changes in law. My argument was that owners should know why safety equipment is there and make sure everyone else does.

An MOT is a one day wonder. You are solely responsible fro maintaining the safety of your car 365 days a year. Full stop.

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.

Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).

Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.

well my rav has just gone through MOT with uprated lights + ECU chip, I know you are saying this is not till 2011, but heres a conundrum, Lindop, supplied,+ fitted my "chip" and will also be doing my MOT, now Kingo will tell you once a "chip" is removed there is no way of telling that the car ever had one, and you can in fact fit a switch to enable +

disable it at will, and why would a chipped rav fail MOT anyway, It doesn't affect safety in any way whatsoever :unsure: Stew

Interesting Marksy, Here i go being very boring again, but as a taxi driver i have to have 6mthly tests at my local council mot centre, It costs £377 + covers both tests which are 45mins /1hr each, there is a list of major /minor faults, if it fails on a major fault, which includes (headlamp alignment) then i cannot use my vehicle till it is re tested £45.. Because this test centre does 1100 taxis twice a year, 3500 at least private hire vehicles + every council dustcart, roadsweeper,gritter, + council van, I can wait up to a week for re-test + during that time i am unemployed, If my vehicle does more than 100mls between test + re test, not difficult if you live 40 mls from the test centre + have to take it to a garage in between, I am deemed to have been working the vehicle + I can get severely reprimanded by the licensing dept + have to pay Full test fee.. As your article rightly says, you can take your private car there + i am sure that not every council mot centre will be as busy as mine, I am in no way trying to say your private car will be subject to the rigours of a Taxi test which has much higher standards, and you will probably get a more impartial test, but the practicalities of having your car tested at such a test centre need careful consideration :unsure: Stew

Thanks, chap.

Grateful for this as I was looking at a HID kit. I will stick to the uprated Osram bulbs. I have considerable sympathy with this section of the changes as with the clock change it has become noticeable again how many vehicles have badly adjusted lights and the brighter the light the worse the problem.

Not sure where I stand on chipped cars but I wonder, as it a performance enhancement, how many have told their insurance companies.

Mike D

wot a lot of pansies!

try driving in some of the smaller countries and you soon find the standard of car safety.... like Australia; Cyprus; USA ; Italy;..... and I can go on.

If you feel comfortable driving about in a death trap then you should be responsible! Why do the rest of us have to pay for a very expensive government quango to monitor what you legally should be doing yersel!

Near me 14 old people died through alleged negligence by a care home owner/s. Now, its not for mwe to pass judgement but I did give the Government some expertise opinion at the time which led to changes in law. My argument was that owners should know why safety equipment is there and make sure everyone else does.

An MOT is a one day wonder. You are solely responsible fro maintaining the safety of your car 365 days a year. Full stop.

I understand your views but the problem with self regulation is that it in itself becomes just that. Sadly human nature and greed for profit usally becomes the highest priority. Having worked in safety for many years sadly I have seen it time and time again.:)