Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 Avensis Headlight Bulb Replacement

Neil Barker

Driving home on Thursday evening, I noticed that my passenger side headlight wasn't working, so as I was within 1/4 mile of my local Toyota dealer, I dropped in to see what was going to be necessary. I've had previous cars that changing headlight bulbs was extremely difficult, so I was expecting the same :wacko:

As I suspected - their solution involved dropping the front bumper etc and then charging me .75 hours labour and the price of the bulb - total price of about £55-60.

This to me seemed ludicrous, so on my way home I called into Halfords. Somehow I didn't expect them to want to know, but they said that yes, they could do it for me in a few minutes....

Two staff, male and female came out to my car with a bulb and she'd got it changed in about 15 minutes!

Maybe having smaller hands helped her, but I do have to question the whole 'drop the bumper' mentality that dealers go for these days. That hasn't done much for my confidence in them as a dealer in future :unsure:

Hi, I have a 56 plate Avensis & the bulb can be replaced from the engine bay, albeit you need dexterous hands.

My wife has a Megane & you have to remove the bumper or remove a cover in the wheel arch liner and work blind, like you're sticking your hand up a puppet's :censor:

My last motor was a Volvo S40 sport & you simply pulled a retaining slide out and the complete headlight then come out, making replacement a doddle.

As for your concerns about the dealer, I guess they have to follow Toyota recommendations. I wouldn't let your experience put you off too much.

All the best. :thumbsup:

Driving home on Thursday evening, I noticed that my passenger side headlight wasn't working, so as I was within 1/4 mile of my local Toyota dealer, I dropped in to see what was going to be necessary. I've had previous cars that changing headlight bulbs was extremely difficult, so I was expecting the same :wacko:

As I suspected - their solution involved dropping the front bumper etc and then charging me .75 hours labour and the price of the bulb - total price of about £55-60.

This to me seemed ludicrous, so on my way home I called into Halfords. Somehow I didn't expect them to want to know, but they said that yes, they could do it for me in a few minutes....

Two staff, male and female came out to my car with a bulb and she'd got it changed in about 15 minutes!

Maybe having smaller hands helped her, but I do have to question the whole 'drop the bumper' mentality that dealers go for these days. That hasn't done much for my confidence in them as a dealer in future :unsure:

It is by no means the easiest job to change the bulbs but it is definitely possible as I have done it a couple of times. Yes, you do have to remove the Battery clamp and move the Battery over to the left to gain enough room to change the nearside one, but probably the most difficult part is replacing the covers, as for having to remove the bumper, sorry that's just b@ll@k$, and not necessary in my humble opinion.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links