Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius Gen3 Winter Tyres

johalareewi

The main difference I've noticed when stopped or moving slowly is the engine is idling longer to maintain temperature rather than cutting out and running just on Battery.

Snow was very dry and powdery. Was very easy to get the snow off the prius.

It was more interesting this morning because the snow had hardened overnight and been packed down. Still got up the hill no problems. mpg for the commute in still around the 55 mark (prius reading).

Thanks for the update. What does more interesting mean - were you anticipating that it would be a problem and then it was no problem, or that the slip indicator or maybe VSC on the dash did light up?

Just done 38500 miles new continental tyres all round mpg gone down straight away from 61 to 52/53 what's going on I'm not happy. I'm even trying to drive slower to get more mpg. Hope tyres will wear in and it goes up. Any idea

they are conti premium contact 2. Still getting 50 mpg

Chances are the continentals are not low rolling resistance tyres (or fuel savers). Which continentals are they?

Snow was very dry and powdery. Was very easy to get the snow off the prius.

It was more interesting this morning because the snow had hardened overnight and been packed down. Still got up the hill no problems. mpg for the commute in still around the 55 mark (prius reading).

Thanks for the update. What does more interesting mean - were you anticipating that it would be a problem and then it was no problem, or that the slip indicator or maybe VSC on the dash did light up?

In the fresh snow, the drive up the hill was just as if there was no snow.

Next day after the hill had been polished by the the local kids, you could feel the car sliding a little bit but nothing to worry about and no VSC/TRAC lights or beeps.

The main difference I've noticed when stopped or moving slowly is the engine is idling longer to maintain temperature rather than cutting out and running just on battery.

If the engine is still running when stationary, see if it stops when ECO mode is activated.

The main difference I've noticed when stopped or moving slowly is the engine is idling longer to maintain temperature rather than cutting out and running just on battery.

If the engine is still running when stationary, see if it stops when ECO mode is activated.

Or see if the arrows are going into the HV Battery on the display. If they are then the engine is warming up and charging. If they're not, then the HV Battery is full and the engine is running to warm up and/or warm the heater.

An interesting reaction to the question of winter tyres for the T4 and T-spirit on the Toyota website at New Prius - everything you need to know

The basic answer is

Toyota currently does not offer winter tyres for the third generation Prius, but this is something that we are exploring. We would also not recommend that you fit the wrong size tyre on the car in any circumstance.

We have had feedback from your fellow Prius owners who have driven without issue in wintery conditions using the original manufacturer tyres. Click here to read about their experiences.

If you are concerned about driving in winter conditions please see page 273 of the Prius Owners’ Manual for winter driving tips.

Winter tyres are on just as temperatures drop. Have gone for some Michelin Alpin A4 which are also low rolling resistance so will see how they do mpg wise. Price not too bad. mytyres.co.uk have them at around £70 each fitted (for 15 inch wheels).

http://back-2-03.webmichelin.com/corporate/actualites/en/actu_affich.jsp?id=26583〈=EN&codeRubrique=58&actu=true

Well done. Please let us know how they perform.

I have just put back my Continental Winter contact TS 830 tyres. They cost about the same as yours but I am sure that their rolling resistance is higher than the Alpin A4s.

They were superb in the snow of last winter. I hope yours do as well if/when the snow comes.

Hi Sagitar,

I've just looked on the Continental web site and got the response "Unfortunately we do not currently make a Continental tyre in the size you require.", when I put my registration in. Tyre size was correct at 215/45-17.

Are you using spare wheels?

Thanks

An interesting reaction to the question of winter tyres for the T4 and T-spirit on the Toyota website at New Prius - everything you need to know

The basic answer is

Toyota currently does not offer winter tyres for the third generation Prius, but this is something that we are exploring. We would also not recommend that you fit the wrong size tyre on the car in any circumstance.

We have had feedback from your fellow Prius owners who have driven without issue in wintery conditions using the original manufacturer tyres. Click here to read about their experiences.

If you are concerned about driving in winter conditions please see page 273 of the Prius Owners’ Manual for winter driving tips.

Yeh, it's great answer given that the advice on "page 273 of the Prius Owners’ Manual for winter driving tips" includes the phrase:

"Have the vehicle fitted with four snow tires"

It is also interesting in light of the blurb in the Michelin brochure, which says of the Michelin Pilot Primacy, the tyre fitted by Toyota as original equipment on my Gen3 Prius:

"The Michelin Pilot Primacy is a Grand Touring Summer tire that was developed to meet the needs of sporty luxury coupe and sedan drivers who want comfort and tread life along with performance. Used as original equipment, the Pilot Primacy also focuses on enhancing wet weather traction and hydroplaning resistance. Like all summer tires, the Pilot Primacy is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice". :o

Do you get the feeling that there is maybe some kind of a disconnect between the left hand and the right hand?

Do you get the feeling that there is maybe some kind of a disconnect between the left hand and the right hand?

Right hand? It just confirms my belief that the left hand of Toyota has no clue what the other left hand is doing.

This is the brake recall all over again. Deny everything until proved wrong. Then continue to deny it until they realise they look like total idiots. Then continue to deny it again for a while, until they realise it's going to cost sales big-time. Finally, do what should have been done at the start, and insist it was all their idea in the first place.

The same is going to start happening over the early Gen III (weasel) warranty in a year or two. I just resent the hassles that is going to cause me before Toyota realise (again) what idiots they look.

On the winter tyre issue, I am waiting for an insurance company to refuse payment of a claim for winter collision damage if winter tyres are in use, because the car was modified against Toyota recommendation. That could be spectacularly funny, as long as it's not your car involved.

Hi Sagitar,

I've just looked on the continental web site and got the response "Unfortunately we do not currently make a Continental tyre in the size you require.", when I put my registration in. Tyre size was correct at 215/45-17.

Thanks

Unfortunately, there isn't a winter tyre for 215/45-17 (not that I can find) nor all season tyres so what they do in the states is get a set of 15 inch wheels, fit winter tyres, then swap the wheels. I believe sagitar has done the same. I have a T3 so my mickey mouse 15 inch wheels don't have a problem. :thumbsup:

There are gen3 prius owners in germany over on prius chat where it is law to have winter tyres so would be interesting to find out what they do.

Hi Sagitar,

I've just looked on the continental web site and got the response "Unfortunately we do not currently make a Continental tyre in the size you require.", when I put my registration in. Tyre size was correct at 215/45-17.

Thanks

Unfortunately, there isn't a winter tyre for 215/45-17 (not that I can find) nor all season tyres so what they do in the states is get a set of 15 inch wheels, fit winter tyres, then swap the wheels. I believe sagitar has done the same. I have a T3 so my mickey mouse 15 inch wheels don't have a problem. :thumbsup:

There are gen3 prius owners in germany over on prius chat where it is law to have winter tyres so would be interesting to find out what they do.

I have said several times in various places that my winter tyres are on a spare set of 15 inch wheels. I did it quite deliberately in order to be able to drive with higher profile tyres. If you are going to nudge a kerb in the snow, far better to do with with a tyre that has a high enough profile to keep the wheel clear.

For clarity and once again: from April to the end of October I run 17" wheels with Michelin Pilot Primacy 215/45 R17 87W; from November to the end of March I run 15" wheels with Continental Winter contact TS 830 195/65 R15 91T

P.S. I have notified my insurers and they have expressed no concern.

Continental has recently released the TS830P which are designed for bigger wheels including 215/45/17.

I started i thread on Prius Chat to see what Prius owners do in Europe.

Some of you have found it already!

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-accessories-modifications/87552-winter-tyres-in-germany-other-countries-in-europe.html

Answers so far:-

I got from Toyota Germany 16" wheels with Dunlop Wintersport M3 195/55 tires.

I went to the first tire rack and purchased 215/45/17 Continental TS 830 M+S tires.

From a UK perspective, you can get steel rims (16") with winter tyres (195/60) from mytyres that are suitable for the Prius. They are then shipped in from Germany.

So it looks like you can get 215/45-17 winter tyres (Continental TS 830P) but not in the UK.

Coming up to 3000 miles on the winter tyres so they should be run in by now. The mpg (fuelly) is in the range 50-53mpg for a mixture of motorway/distance driving and commuting, all with the heater on.

• 3 months later...

Winter tyres are now off and summer tyres are on.

Over the winter the tyres have done 8000 miles and averaged 54mpg.

Handling in the snow and ice was a lot better than last winter on the stock bridgestones.

Last time, the VSC came on a lot. This time, not a peep (or even a flash).

The tyres have plenty of tread left for next winter.

So a big :thumbsup: for the Michelen Aplin A4s from me.

Have gone for Michelin Energy Savers for the summer.

I took mine off this week also. The warm weather seemed like a good signal, though I do have experience of snow in April . . . :rolleyes:

The winter tyres have worn very evenly and still have more than 7mm of tread, so I cleaned them well and stored them away until (I hope) September or later.

• 8 months later...

Right hand? It just confirms my belief that the left hand of Toyota has no clue what the other left hand is doing.

This is the brake recall all over again. Deny everything until proved wrong. Then continue to deny it until they realise they look like total idiots. Then continue to deny it again for a while, until they realise it's going to cost sales big-time. Finally, do what should have been done at the start, and insist it was all their idea in the first place.

The same is going to start happening over the early Gen III (weasel) warranty in a year or two. I just resent the hassles that is going to cause me before Toyota realise (again) what idiots they look.

On the winter tyre issue, I am waiting for an insurance company to refuse payment of a claim for winter collision damage if winter tyres are in use, because the car was modified against Toyota recommendation. That could be spectacularly funny, as long as it's not your car involved.

Have you noticed how enthusiasticaly Toyota is now pushing winter tyres.

They denied it. Then they were proved wrong. Now it is their idea in the first place.

Next Toyota, think warranty. You got it wrong with the Weasel Warranty. You will soon be offending all the early Gen III Prius buyers. Now fix it and tell us it was all your own idea.

Whatever . . . :thumbsup:

I was so pleased to have them on in the snow this morning . . . :lol:

Have you noticed how enthusiasticaly Toyota is now pushing winter tyres.

I have noticed that a lot of tyre companies are promoting 'cold weather' tyres this winter, not just Toyota.

Just had my first taste of driving my Prius in the snow. Have driven automatics for a number of years and have got used to driving them in snow (Accord was pretty good) but this was a new experience! Going down a slight slope it unnerved me straightaway as it started to skid but got it under control, then going up a bank I could see a number of cars struggling ahead so slowed down to a crawl hoping to just keep a steady pace but then the orange light started flashing on the dash and the car started to weave about! My first experience of traction control. I weaved my way slowly up which was a weird experience only to be passed by a little Peugeot who had no problem. Going down I stuck it into the low gear and stabbed the brakes to try and avoid any further skids which seemed to work OK. So after reading about winter tyres I am now considering this (expensive) option. Is it better to buy four wheels to use for winter tyres (as BMW do) or just replace the tyres? By the way the snow was only a few inches deep.

Noisyhen are you driving a Gen2 or Gen3? I can't remember.

I seem to recall hearing that the Gen2 traction control can be a bit overenthusiastic at times.

My Gen3, even on 17 inch wheels, was fantastic in the snow last year :yahoo: it went places other FWD cars were getting stuck.

But then again the tyres were only 3 months old. Haven't had sufficient exposure to snow yet this year to get a feel for how it's going to do now that tread depth is down a bit.

Is it better to buy four wheels to use for winter tyres (as BMW do) or just replace the tyres?

Your call really. A complete set of wheels could be very expensive but you then have the luxury of being able to swap between winter and summer wheels yourself with no additional cost. Just swapping the tyres saves having to buy a set of wheels but you then have to pay to have the tyres swapped. On the plus side, you do get the wheels balanced regularly. In both cases, you do need to have some space to store the unused set of tyres/wheels.