Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Brakes Wear Out Quickly

mattwilkes18

I've got a 2007 Avensis Colour edition with 115000 miles on the clock which on average needs a new set of brake pads every service (10000 miles). Once had a set changed after only 8000 miles. Brakes have worn out twice between service when they haven't been checked properly meaning a new set of discs due to heavy scoring on the disc.

Car is a lease so all work is done at Toyota main dealer and they say there is nothing wrong with the brakes, even said it was my driving style. Car does mostly motorway mileage. Had a rear caliper changed a little while back cause they said it had seized slightly.

Any ideas what it might be? Seems a bit dodgy to me but they say there is nothing wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt

I've got a 2007 Avensis Colour edition with 115000 miles on the clock which on average needs a new set of brake pads every service (10000 miles). Once had a set changed after only 8000 miles. Brakes have worn out twice between service when they haven't been checked properly meaning a new set of discs due to heavy scoring on the disc.

Car is a lease so all work is done at Toyota main dealer and they say there is nothing wrong with the brakes, even said it was my driving style. Car does mostly motorway mileage. Had a rear caliper changed a little while back cause they said it had seized slightly.

Any ideas what it might be? Seems a bit dodgy to me but they say there is nothing wrong.

Matt

Hi Matt, sounds to me like the leasing company is getting ripped off big time! My front discs were changed at 37k and I would say thats quite early, some report on here having them changed at 20k others well above 50k so your case is extreme to say the least!

Regards Pete.

My 07 Avensis has just had a 40000mile service (allbeit at 32k only), was told the front pads are 60% worn with slight lipping to discs. The car was an ex-Toyota machine and had covered 15k in it's (presumably fairly hard) first year of life. I'm happy with that wear rate.

Matt

Going from the title of the thread, presumably you are talking REAR pads at 10,000 miles? if so, there is either something drastically wrong or you ride around with the handbrake on.

Rear pads should last twice as long as front pads under normal circumstances.

Matt

Going from the title of the thread, presumably you are talking REAR pads at 10,000 miles? if so, there is either something drastically wrong or you ride around with the handbrake on.

Yes QS, I missed the REAR brake part in the post and I agree with you 100%, my views on the "front discs" still stands but I will need to get my specs out in future:yes:.

Pete.

Matt

Just as a point of information, you cannot wear out the disc pads by leaving the handbrake on. The handbrake works independently on the shoes in the brake drum incorporated in the disc.

Fitter

Matt

Just as a point of information, you cannot wear out the disc pads by leaving the handbrake on. The handbrake works independently on the shoes in the brake drum incorporated in the disc.

Fitter

erm...first post so be gentle...have done 45000 and just changed fronts and loads left on rear,jack up the rear wheels and check they're free to rotate,if they are then perhaps it is you're driving style,as most of braking is done on front wheels the rears should last for years...or maybe just drive around for a while and have a feel of the rear wheels...hot.... binding usually accompanied by burning smell, warm ok as there is some heat transferred under normal braking.only time i've seen rears go before fronts is on land rover wolfs....have changed loads of rears,full time job all painted green if you know what i mean

Matt

Fitter

Sorry for the late reply but haven't been on for a while.

That's not strictly true Fitter, it depends which brake setup you have. On my model, 2002 1.8Vvti GS, the handbrake works on the pads, there is no shoe setup on the rear. Like you said, some have a 'drum in disc' setup but some don't. I don't know which type is fitted to this model.

Matt

Fitter

Sorry for the late reply but haven't been on for a while.

That's not strictly true Fitter, it depends which brake setup you have. On my model, 2002 1.8Vvti GS, the handbrake works on the pads, there is no shoe setup on the rear. Like you said, some have a 'drum in disc' setup but some don't. I don't know which type is fitted to this model.

The handbrake on this model uses brake drums which are part of the rear discs.

Pete.

Might be hydraulics; Maybe worth having the brake fluid changed and the brakes bled to make sure there aren't any air bubbles trapped.

If the clutch shares the fluid, make sure they bleed that too!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies guys. Well they've been changed and it was found that the fronts needed doing aswell. I pressed toyota what the problem could be and was told that a master technician had worked on them and found nothing wrong with them.

One thing i will add is that they've never been the sharpest brakes. I got the car at 50000 and had had an avensis straight before and noticed a difference, but the lease company don't seem bothered so i'll just keep wearing them out. I've only got the car for a few more months but would like to get it sorted before the lease company sells it on and the new owner has to keep shelling out on new brakes.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

what is 'TRC OFF' button on avensis , when do you use this??

any help appreciated

TRC is the traction control. TRC off, turns off the traction control.

Matt

If you are serious about getting this sorted before the lease company sells the car on (very community spirited of you) reject Toyota's assertion that there is nothing wrong and tell them to give you a courtesy car and go find the fault. There is no way on earth that rear pads should wear out in 10k under normal use. What is you fuel consumption like - accepting that this is a lease/company car so may be driven a little enthusiatically?

my local Toyota dealer told me that I needed rear brake pads at 40,000 mile, they said it would not last until the next service, I said no, when I looked they were only 50% worn, so I took a photo and sent it to them. I am am past my next service and they are still fine.

By the way Mattwilks, are you one of those drivers that keeps twitching their brake on corners etc? which is one off my pet hates.

• 3 years later...

I got my avensis in 2006 new and the rear pads are now getting ready for changing the front pads are still got 1/4 on them so I am going change the front and back so I think I have had my moneys worth out them

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links