Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacment Of Rear Suspension

Paddy-B

Hi there crew, I have just bought a Rav4 reebok (w reg), I am looking to replace the rear dampers and was wandering if anyone could post up a guide on how to do this, things to look out for and any special tools required please,. pics would be good if it is somthing that has been documented before, I ran a search but could not find anything.

Regards

Paddy.

Its a pretty easy job. You can access the top of the shock absorbers from the panels in the rear of the boot. The lower end obviously is undone from below. Simples.

Why, may i ask, are you changing them??

Thanks for the help guys, yh im assuming this is a 4.1, someone correct me if im wrong as im not an expert on these Ravs yet, its a W Reg.

The reason for changing is they feel a bit to soft, slight wigle felt through seat when crosing any bumps pot holes on motorway, I remember the same experiance with my 200SX untill I replaced the rear dampers.

Any tips for removale, ie jacking points ect, and is it just a standard deep socket required for removing nuts inside, I heard someone say a special tool was required, how about replacment is it a case of attaching bottom of damper to lower wishbone then lifting up and into place, possible with the aid of a transmision jack, is it a good idea to do both sides at same time to allow it to slot in easly.

I remember fitting my BC coilovers to my Corolla not that long ago and it was a bit fidley doing the rears, ie geting the bottom located and the top raised in. it looks a similar setup on the rav.

thanks again

Paddy

or is it better to conect the dampers at the top and raise lower arms, both sides at same time, to allow bottom of dampers to engage with arm?

Had mine changed friday on my 1998 Freesport.

One was weeping and the other was worse and had been advised on the last 2 Mots.

Can't say I have noticed any difference in the handling though.

Took the garage 10 minutes.

Boge cost £42.50 +vat each.

Dave.

Have a look in the pinned section to see which model you have and then I'll find you some info.

Just done mine on my 1999 Rav4 3 door. its a doddle. I bought the Monroe Adventurer (yellow ones) off eBay for around £68 a pair. No special tools required, a jack and just a half decent spanner set and your off. I think 14's and 18's but could easily be mistaken. Didnt even need to take wheels off.

In the back there are plastic clip flaps that come off and you can see the top of the shocks.

1. I took weight off the shocks by jacking it up at the rear diff, wheels dont need to be in the air, just so it takes the weight off the shocks.

2. Next I undid the top nuts from inside, two nuts together so they dont rattle off, simply undo - dont worry shocks wont fall out etc.

3. Next I undid bottom bolt. I expected the shock to then drop away but I then realised the bolt went into a collar which the shock slid onto.

4. I then had to slide the shock away from the collar and came away fine.

Fitting new one simply reversal of above. Easiest suspension job you can get.

The monroes ones came with new rubber bushes, washers, nuts etc. - a very good package for the price.

Cheers smiler, I seen them shocks on eBay they look good value,

Im going to try and get them don after christmas, they are not actually that bad im just a perfectionist lol.

In the manual it says to lift on the rear arms just out from the pivot point, that was my main issue (jaking points)ive never been a fan of jaking up on the rear diff but il have a look there to the job looks straight forward similer to my T-Sport.

cheers

Paddy.