Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changed Engine On Yaris 2009

Whale

I bought an used Yaris from a Toyota dealer some weeks ago and found out that they changed the engine (based on the warranty) this summer. They are saying that the new engine is ordered at Toyota and is completely new (my car has the mileage around 12,000 and the new engine sounds and behaves like a new one).

My question is if Toyota Europe has a track of engine serials, where I can check my new number and validate that they are not lying me, for example by putting an used engine and not a new one.

Thanks

Why would you think a dealer would put a used engine in and say it is a new one?

I assume you have a receipt or some documentation to say a ne3w engine has been fitted? This would be enough to satisfy me.

If you're that worried then why not contact Toyota GB and provide your VIN and/or registration mark and the engine number. Surely they should be able top tell you when the engine was built and have a record of the engine swap.

I doubt it will be 2nd hand, the dealer would/should be in deep doo doo if they'd done that with a warranty job?!

The practicality of life with modern engines is they HAVE to replace one engine with another EXACTLY the same. Otherwise, the electronics will not work properly..

So unless someone has acquired an engine from a crashed 2010 car - exactly the same engine...- it will not work...

The practicality of life with modern engines is they HAVE to replace one engine with another EXACTLY the same. Otherwise, the electronics will not work properly..

So unless someone has acquired an engine from a crashed 2010 car - exactly the same engine...- it will not work...

This was my main worry - they may changed the engine from a crashed car (maybe with more mileage). I checked with them again the car history and it proves that they changed the engine block at 9,000 miles. Also the turbocharger was changed twice in 16,000 miles - looks like these D4D engines in 2009 weren't that good.

I don't think for one minute that any Toyota dealer(or any other manufacturer for that matter) would fit a second hand engine under a warranty claim, think about it logically, what benefit would it be to them? In fact it would cost them to purchase the used unit in the first place,when instead they could call on Toyota GB to send a replacement from France for free.

So just sit back and enjoy the ride! :rolleyes: