Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Water Pump.

Uncle Bob

What to check for.

The petrol AYGO 1.0 water pump is proving to be a problem for all owners at some time in the cars early life, for us our car was bought 2nd hand at 3.5 years old with 12K on the clock and even then i could see the pink stains on the water pump pulley, its not a case of will it leak but when !

The tin pulley and tin base plate was a poor design and the seal was not thick enough to seal the water in, the latest upgrade pump from Toyota has fixed the problem, it has a aluminum base plate which is thicker to take a thicker seal and a more substantial pulley.

This is the original pump with the pink anti-freeze stains ( middle pulley )..

IMG_1576.jpg

With pump removed..

IMG_1582.jpg

Old and new pump ( black pulley is new one )

IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

When i was looking to buy a pump i looked at the ones on a popular auction site but they all seem to be the old tin type, i strongly advise you only buy from Toyota as this will be the correct upgraded type.

Now you can see whats what if your pulley has pink stains on it, get it changed very soon, as with no temperature gauge ,you'll have little advance warning of its failure !.

Nice post!

I can finally see that it has a seal rather than sealant.

Dare I ask ?

How much for the coolant / bolts / pump / seal?

Cheers.

Ian.

EDIT: The bean counters at Toyota didn't spend quite

enough beans on the original.

(Don't worry, we'll charge double beans on the replacements to fund

the ones done under warranty.)

Nice post!

I can finally see that it has a seal rather than sealant.

Dare I ask ?

How much for the coolant / bolts / pump / seal?

Cheers.

Ian.

EDIT: The bean counters at Toyota didn't spend quite

enough beans on the original.

(Don't worry, we'll charge double beans on the replacements to fund

the ones done under warranty.)

The pump ,bolts and black seal came as one price £75.00( although the bolts should be separate ),that to me is a bargain compared with the prices for the tin pump on "that popular auction site" ! i spoke with a Toyota technician on here and he said that under warranty they save and reuse the anti freeze , so i done just that.

I did buy a 1 litre bottle of anti-freeze top up, as you can never save all of it as it drains out, and no drain plug on the radiator, bottom hose has to be disconnected....and as you see the black rubber seal is all thats needed, don't use sealant its not necessary.

Once the job was all done i left the car jacked up at the front, as it reduced the chances of an air lock in the coolant system.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, quick question, i had my water pump replaced under warranty and when i checked the coolant level was very low, i mean so low it was below the low mark. I have since topped it up to the max line. Is there anything else i need to do or is that it?

Also my car has since started making a knocking noise since the waterpump was replaced, only seems to happen when the engine is cold? Any suggestions?

Hi, quick question, i had my water pump replaced under warranty and when i checked the coolant level was very low, i mean so low it was below the low mark. I have since topped it up to the max line. Is there anything else i need to do or is that it?

Also my car has since started making a knocking noise since the water pump was replaced, only seems to happen when the engine is cold? Any suggestions?

The radiator can look empty but if the coolant is just settling after being replaced it should only need half a cup to fill back up. Its also important to check the coolant level in the expansion tank ( its to the right of the radiator cap ).

As to your noise after having the pump fitted, my guess could be the bracket to the alternator adjust could have been left loose, as there is not many other parts that need to be touched other than then pump itself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great post uncle bob, thanks for that.

Aygo and Other members (2nd gen yaris 1.0L 12V VVTI) owners may end up at this post.

You may wish to go to this thread below for some additional info regarding part ref numbers and more photos.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117029&st=0&p=1056136&hl=+aygo%20+pump&fromsearch=1entry1056136

• 1 year later...

It's all clear here, but perhaps a few more details might be useful for someone:

1. Buy a new pump ( I recommend GMB, never Aisin again) and a new belt. Make sure the new pump set includes a gasket.

2. Take off the front bumper (a 10-15 minute job) as the access from the front is much easier than from underneath

That’s the view from the front

b9bd4bc029217b74m.jpg

3. Drain the coolant liquid by taking off a water passage at the bottom of the radiator

4. Loosen the alternator. First loosen the screw at the bottom No. 2 and the one next to it, ie. No. 3, whose aim is to tighten the belt. So as to easily put a new belt, we need to push the alternator back, so we will need to loosen the bolt No. 1 too and then push the alternator

9a8d64e8f516d68am.jpg

5. Undo the 5 bolts mounting the pump. Some more coolant will pour out.

6. Fit a new pump. Make sure you put the gasket the way the old one was fitted. My old gasket came off with the pump, but you need to fit the new gasket straight to the engine. However, as I said, take a closer look at the way the gasket was fitted:

a1aa66f59c0c09dam.jpg

This little tail which I pointed in the photo above goes to a specially marked slot in the engine, which I marked below:

10f4c0ec91b64430m.jpg

7. We fit a new pump, make sure you don’t confuse the bolts, as there are two lengths

8. We put on a new belt, tighten it by bolt No 3 and then fit it hard by bolts No. 1 and 2.

9. We refill the coolant through the hole with the metal cup, and then, the rest, through the other one

I have just MOT'd a 2008 aygo today and noticed the water pump had a slight leak with the tell tale pink coolant stains. Having serviced some as well with the same issue. the peugeot and citroen equivalents being no exception either.

• 1 year later...

Urgent help needed please.

The bolt that site under the water pump shot out under pressure last night and unaware of this the engine ran dry if coolant. As soon as the temp light flashed I had pulled over and cut the engine. The pump seems to be making a knocking noise.

So my question is. Toyota can't get me the part till Tuesday next week but Peugeot have 5 sat in the shelf. Are these the same parts and can I use the Peugeot pump on my Aygo to get it back on the road?

The 1.0 litre petrol engine used in the first generation Aygo/Peugeot 107/Citroen C1 is the Toyota unit - so as long as the Peugeot parts are for the 107 (and only the 107), they should be the same as the Toyota part.

I've lost my coolant drain plug from the underside of the engine (below the water pump). Toyota cant get one till Tuesday next week (who on earth doesn't have parts deliveries over the weekend?)

Would the C1/107 be the same and does anyone know the part number because the bloke at Peugeot couldn't find it on his list of parts?

Nope that's not it. It's all sorted now thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

• 1 year later...

Can I resurrect this thread please.

My Niece Aygo has terrible fanbelt like squealing.

Looking at the OP's picture, its not the water pump as discussed in the picture, the lower left pulley (as looking at picture) is red hot after 20 seconds of tickover.

Can anyone identify which pulley this is please?

Thanks

• 4 months later...
On 16 January 2016 at 2:45 PM, martbass said:

Can I resurrect this thread please.

My Niece Aygo has terrible fanbelt like squealing.

Looking at the OP's picture, its not the water pump as discussed in the picture, the lower left pulley (as looking at picture) is red hot after 20 seconds of tickover.

Can anyone identify which pulley this is please?

Thanks

Think that is the crank shaft pulley which means one of the other pulleys has seized.

Most probable water pump, loosen alternator bolts and adjuster remove belt and check the three driven shafts, will turn.

Take care if it is the air con.