Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Weight Of Front Seats

jjj_aygo

Has anyone ever taken the front seats out?

Do you know how much they weigh?

I'm looking at getting some bucket seats to hold me in around the corners but want to try and save a considerable amount of weight too!

Thanks

James

I've had one loose to fit a subwoofer underneath. Haven't weighed it, but it felt

about the same as the seats in my 100NX (those I HAVE had out of the car :P )

Rough estimate? More than 7 kilo's :P

It's been an while and I'm not good at guesstimating weights...

About 14-16kg each. I swapped mine for Corbeau sprints (about 8kg with side mounts) and ended up halving the weight more or less.

Paul.

Brilliant thanks Paul just what I wanted to know!

Side mounts mean that the seat stays put right? How is the driving position?

James

Yep, side mounts are lighter than rails but the seat is fixed.

corbeau2700.jpg?t=1290460703

The driving position for me was much better being about 4in lower. On the stock seats I sit quite near to the roof but with the Corbeaus I could put the steering wheel in its lowest setting and have a good driving position.

Also, you don't realise but the seats effectively raise the gear lever by about four inches too and that is much better than where it normally is. Don't feel like you have to reach down for it any more.

If you replace the seats you will need to undo the wire to the seat belt sensor, but that is easy enough. To fit seat belt buckles to the side mount frames I bolted on the buckles from the rear seats. These are short enough to allow the stock diagonal belt to go through the side hole which is important so it holds you properly in a sudden stop. Some people just rest the belt over the side seat which is asking for trouble.

I found that the diagonal belt and sports seat were fine for racing. I wouldn't recommend harnesses as you need a cage for those, even in a strong car like the Aygo.

Paul.

Great info thanks Paul!

Are the mounts Corbeau mounts or just universal fitting ones?

I am a shorter driver... (5ft 9) so worried about driving position being too far back!

Did you notice a big difference in weight once the standards were replaced? I imagine you probably would!

James

You notice the weight saving a little bit, but it's more noticeable how much more a part of the car you feel. You can also help the weight situation by removing the back seats, the toolkit and spare wheel to get down to around 760kg for the basic model with about half fuel.

I also removed the interior trim at the back and the rear seat belts, but it only saved 5-6kg or so.

I guess you could go further and remove the carpet, but I was always going to put mine back to stock in the end as it is now, almost. I still retain lowering springs and stiffer anti-roll bars, but that's it---the Aygo is retiring from racing at least for the time being.

Paul.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links