Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alloys - Balance Weights Adhesive Remover

richard.c

Hi,

While my alloy wheels were off decided to give the inside of the rims a clean up - look much better apart from the remains of the old adhesive left when they were rebalanced for new tyres.

Anyone know what will actually remove it ?

Have tried Turps, Meths, Acetone, IPA, Tardis etc etc but nothing really shifts it easliy - only removed some by scraping away as much as possible with a sharp blade and then using a combination of the above.

thanks

any decent tar and glue remover. autoglym is good and autosmarts product is equally as good.

when i clayed my wheels i just ran them up to the local car detailing place they gave me some autosmart tar and glue remove for nowt spray on and let it soak 5min and just jet wash off.

have you tried goo gone?

leave some goo gone to soak on it for a while so it softens the adhesive then take it off in layers, usually you will need to scrape off the top layer and then re apply the goo gone let it soak in and then carry on that way. Its a nightmare to do but im sure tardis should have dealth with it?

Autoglym tar and glue remover is good but i find using a platic scraper with the tar glue remover helps get the old adhesive off quicker

Autoglym tar and glue remover is good but i find using a platic scraper with the tar glue remover helps get the old adhesive off quicker

A very experienced professional in the field said that he uses white spirit. I have also had WD40 and a finger nail suggested. There are all sorts of glue removers on Amazon, but I'm not sure what they would do to the paint finish.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your suggestions - have tried virtually all of them apart from the Goo Gone - a new one on me.

Had originally bought some Gunk Tar and Insect remover for some little stubborn spots of old tar on the wheels and body work, which it struggled to shift.

Found that Tardis was well recommended in these forums as the best Tar remover so got 500cc fom a top rated eBay seller, but to be honest it did not shift as much as the Gunk could - to say its so highly rated wondered if it had been diluted ..?

Looks like it will just have to be more carefull use of a blade and elbow grease !

The stick-on balance weights use a pressure sensitive adhesive similar to some body tapes.

Using a sovent pwerful enough to disolve it will cause paint damage. The usual method panel beaters us is to soak the remaining adhesive with white spirit for around 10 minutes or more - then start rubbing with the ball of your thumb - the heat generated the cause the adhesive to ball-up and as it gathers wipe away with more white spirit. It can be tedious using this method but sometimes a blast with a hairdryer first gets things going.:)

Tardis will remove it you just need a lot of elbow grease.

Trust I use tardis on all cars I detail with the wheels off and I can get rid. Leave to soak in then scrape off, you will need to do this process until gone.

Nothing in life comes easy especially detailing ya motor :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links