Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E Door Lock Problems - Help!

Bek47

Hi im new to the forum so any help or advise would be greatly apprecaited.

I own a 1995 N reg Toyota Carina E or 'Ted' as we like to call him.

He's an old man and I've owned him for the past two years, brilliant car and no problems with him until today!!!

I opened the passengers side door with the key to get something out of the glove box, and locked the car back up again (it has automatic locking)

On getting in the car again with my partner we found that the passengers side door lock doesn't work and the door cannot be opened for love or money!

I don't think its a WD40 job, the key will go into the lock and turn to the left but not the right, there is resistance there.

I took it to Toyota who said they'd have to take the whole door off....which sounds expensive!!!

Ted wasn't the most expensive car, so I'm looking for a solution to resolve the problem.

If we can open the door, then I imagine fitting a new lock should be quite straight forward.

HELP!!! I don't want to sell him as he's been an excellent motor up until this point, but my partner can't keep doing the jukes of hazzard everytime we need to go anywhere together!!!

Thanks,

Bek

I might be missing something, but I have to ask to get more inforfamtion. Is it correct that you can't open the door from the inside too?

As you can turn the key oneway from the outside I would first recomend you to try to use some graphite oil in the lock. Try several times, but be careful if it doesn't turn don't force it. A key is quite easy to break.

If this doesn't work I am afraid that you have to remove the inside panel on the door. I am not sure if it is possible with the door closed though, but I do believe that is possible, but a bit more difficult than with the door closed. My guess is that it is only a cable that is broken for the electric motor that locks and unlock the door.

I do hope that you will get that door opened and solve the problem with the lock.

Yes unfortunately the door won't open from the outside or inside :o(

I fear it could be panel removal, but as the panel goes all the way to the dash Im concerned how this would work.

There are some stuff that you have to use a screwdriver to remove like the armrest etc... When you have removed the little winding arm for the window or you might have electric windows, the panel sits with clips in the door. Just remove carefully but firm. Then you will see the things inside the door and also be able to unlock the car from the inside.I believe it is possible to do this with the door closed, but it is quite tight.

Yes there are electric windows...I've booked it in to the local garage as this is beyond my capabilities, but I appreciate the feedback as I was able to advise the garage! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

possible door lock sync ...............if you have remote locking.......sounds like to me you have knocked the locking system out of sync .... if you use remote fob to lock the car(if you have one ) in the first place when first left the car and then returned and then used key to unlock passenger door to get stuff out of glove box and relocked the door with key then when you and your partner returned to the car you used remote to unlock???? could of knocked the locking system out of sync with the rest of the car locks it may not be in this case but my wife did the same on her astra dont know if toyota is the same but if so explain your problem and what you did when you talk to the garage they will have an idea whats wrong and may even not have to strip the door thinking that somethings broke inside the door!!!

• 1 month later...

I had a problem just like this. Basically a little spring, about the size of your thumb nail has gone in the door, and as a security measure it has stayed in the locked position.

A good friend of mine knew what to do. You definitely need to take off the door panel, which is tricky with the door shut. You can get about 80% of the door off without opening the door. You need someone who knows what they're doing to stick their arm behind the door panel and find the door release switch. This will in turn open the door helping you to get the rest of the panel off. The spring needs to be replaced then the panel put back on and hey presto you're back in business.

The down side is that Toyota will charge you an arm or a leg to do this. If you can find the old broken spring and get it to someone who can make a new one it'll save you a fortune. Sorry I couldn't be more technical and I hope this has helped and it gets you going again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links