Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Run Flat Question

Michelin

If I change the wheels and tyres on my T180 how do I overcome the valve problem ie will the low tyre pressure warning light be on or can I buy some of the valves and fit them on normal wheels and if I can and it will work does anyone know how much the valves cost.

Cheers

If you change the wheels and valves, after a while the system will recognise the fact that it can no longer get any signal from the valves and will put the light on.

It should be possible to put standard tyres on the existing rims and keep the valves. That will most likely keep the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) happy. You should not however try to then use repair gunk with the TPMS as this will probably kill the valve.

If you have a careful tyre fitter you can probably swap the valve electronics over onto new rims. There is a very small risk the TPMS will not work with different rims (the wheel style can affect the transmission from the valve. This was studied when TPMS systems used to be designed where I work).

The valves have IDs which need to be coded into the TPMS system. I believe there are only 4 or 5 code locations available within the ECU for this. If you bought new valves, they would need to be coded into the system, in order to keep the light off. The coding would probably need to be done every time you swapped the set of wheels over, because of the limited ID locations in the ECU. You might not like the price of the valves either!

I think I can disable the light, but I've never got near enough to a T180 that the owner was willing to let me fiddle with, to try it.

I think I can disable the light, but I've never got near enough to a T180 that the owner was willing to let me fiddle with, to try it.

Theres a very canny Scot on here who swears just as soon as his tyres are down to the canvas, he will be swapping for non runflats, I bet a few drams of the amber nectar + he will let you fiddle with his electrics + anything else for that matter :rolleyes: I propose come the time, we all meet in Derbyshire suitably equipped with food, drink, angle grinders, etc and if it all goes wrong he can always borrow mine till we get it sorted, :drunk: Stew

I bet a few drams of the amber nectar + he will let you fiddle with his electrics + anything else for that matter :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek:

I propose come the time, we all meet in Derbyshire suitably equipped with food, drink, angle grinders, etc and if it all goes wrong he can always borrow mine till we get it sorted, :drunk: Stew

Yer on. :thumbsup: Must look for a shiny new angle grinder for work on the Kevus magnus grampia mobile :sneaky2:. Nah, could never do that to a RAV.

Aye, the Med' will be quiet after tomorrow when the big yin comes back!

The valves on Renault Citreon and Pugeot can be unbolted from the rim and re-fitted to another rim, if the Rav uses the same type of valve.. as in the way in which it attatches to the rim, then I would think there is a good chance it can be swapped to another alloy.

If you are just trying to do away with the "run flat" tyres then you are going at it the wrong way, as far as I know there is nothing special about the actual tyres (correct me if I'm wrong), the "run flat" system is a seperate piece of equipment that is fitted to the rim inside the tyre, this can be removed by any Bridgestone approoved fitter (Mostly Toyota Dealers only) and the tyre re-fitted without it.. the valves can probably be left in or removed and re-fitted during this process.

If you are looking to replace the alloys with something you feel to be more stylish then swap the valves to the new rims and see if they continue to work.

From The Wheel & Tyre Bible

It discusses a Michelin PAX system similar to the BSR system. And asymmetric beads maybe a reason as to why it might not be advisable to fit normal tyres to the OEM rims? (Not sure the practical effect of assymetric beads - or even if it's an issue with the BSR setup :huh: )

"Not content with their Zero Pressure System, Michelin developed the PAX system too in late 2000 which is a variation on a theme. Rather than super-supportive sidewalls, the PAX system relies on a wheel-rim and tyre combination to provide a derivative run-flat capability. As well as the usual air-filled tyre, there is now a reinforced polymer support ring inside. This solid ring clips the air-filled tyre by it's bead to the wheel rim which is the first bonus - it prevents the air-filled tyre from coming off the rim. The second bonus, of course, is that if you get a puncture, the air-filled tyre deflates, and the support ring takes the strain. Michelin say this system is good for over 100 miles at 80km/h (50mph). The downside is that I believe the PAX system is just that - a system. ie. you can't use PAX tyres on standard rims and you can't use standard tyres on PAX rims. This is because PAX tyres have asymmetric beads. In English this means that the inside bead and outside bead are a different diameter. Typically a 410 PAX tyre will have bead diameters of 400mm on the outside and 420mm on the inside."

I bet a few drams of the amber nectar + he will let you fiddle with his electrics + anything else for that matter :rolleyes:

:eek: :eek:

I propose come the time, we all meet in Derbyshire suitably equipped with food, drink, angle grinders, etc and if it all goes wrong he can always borrow mine till we get it sorted, :drunk: Stew

Yer on. :thumbsup: Must look for a shiny new angle grinder for work on the Kevus magnus grampia mobile :sneaky2:. Nah, could never do that to a RAV.

I'll provide the cutting equipment if I can come :rolleyes:

Consider me the purveyor of necturus amberibus for this meeting of angle grinders......going by the mileage these tyres are giving, though, it could be 14 year old malt we'll be drinking....?

Big Kev :toast:

Consider me the purveyor of necturus amberibus for this meeting of angle grinders......going by the mileage these tyres are giving, though, it could be 14 year old malt we'll be drinking....?

Back home then Big Fella? :clap:

Consider me the purveyor of necturus amberibus for this meeting of angle grinders......

Excellent, "angle grinders and tyre kickers". :thumbsup:

(Reminds me of "wheeltappers and shunters" - which I'm too young to remember :unsure:. Oh no, trains again. :no: Sorry! Anyway, it always sounds like an entry in the Profanisaurus to me :yes:).

Back home then Big Fella? :clap:

Aye Chrisopolous,

25 degrees yesterday in Paphos, and back to 2 degrees here in Scotlandshire....still no snow....YET, BUT BIG BLUE WILL BE UP THERE PLAYING WITH HIS NEW WINTER TYERS BY NOO.

bIG kEV :angry: