Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can You Change When Lift Kicks In?

b1gpkr001

Is there any way to lower the rpm reading that lift kicks in?looking to lower it to around the 4500 rpm.

Is there a lift controller available?

I am not aware of a toyota vvt specific item but I know that it is possible to use an apexi vafc to change the lift point. I remember when I fit my vafc to my old car(honda) it had details of toyota wiring looms. Sorry I don't have further details on this.

Surely it won't work as well (or even properly?) if you move the lift point?

Well, unless you also adjust the valve timings for 'lift-mode' to be more appropriate for 4500rpm...

Lift isn't like turbo boost; The valve timings have to be set right for a given RPM range or they'll just not do anything or even make the performance worse... :unsure:

Surely it won't work as well (or even properly?) if you move the lift point?

Well, unless you also adjust the valve timings for 'lift-mode' to be more appropriate for 4500rpm...

Lift isn't like turbo boost; The valve timings have to be set right for a given RPM range or they'll just not do anything or even make the performance worse... :unsure:

+ 1 ul need more fuel and air at the new lower lift point to take advantage

Like I say, I don't know the compatibility for Toyota but for Honda's the VAFC allowed for a/f changes when the vtec crossover point was changed - I assume it would be the same for vvt. Obviously this would need to be done on a dyno. Further to this and for those who may not know VAFC stands for vtec air flow converter and has nothing to do with boost control,

I dont know the details, but VTEC uses and on/off system, so VTEC is either on or off.... where are VVTL-i has a continuously variable system wich maximizes valve timing using a Hydrolic system where as honda use a mechanical system.... so VTEC can be adjusted easily (hense a VTEC controler) where as VVTL-i you cannot change (that im aware of anyways)

Like I said I'm not sure about the specifics but I do remember details in the owners manual for fitting to toyota motors - I'll route out the instructions and check. Also seen details if I remember rightly of something called camcon. As to the advantages I would remain sceptical

I agree, in theory there isnt anything to stop the change in lift. But id imagine your would have to change the timing, the hydrolics ect..... although if im wrong and there is a stock product that changes lift..... im buying lol

Surely when lift kicks in the hydraulic tappets have full oil pressure going to them so the valves open as far as possible? So am I right in saying it is controlled by pressure switches and a solenoid valve?

If so when in lift the ecu isn't regulating the valves as such as they are as far open as possible. So if you can lower the rpm lift kicks in at surly all it will do is open the solenoid valve earlier to enduce oil to the tappets/lift lobes opening the valves more earlier?

I may be wrong just an idea

to be fair, after thinking about this today, its much better to get a low end ECU map.... so a ECU map gives u low power and the lift can stay and give u high end power.... im going to my local performce garage tomorrow as they usualy do a map and ram air filter package :)

The only way to go is with an aftermarket ECU (PFC etc) otherwise you'll more than likely lose power.

The engine wont pull like it does at 6200rpm on a standard ECU even if the high lift cam is engaged, the ECU would need to be remapped in order to take advantage of the lower lift point.

You can't remap the standard ECU so that's why a new ECU is required

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links