Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting In Cold...

ChrisB666

On a cold morning where it has been frosty overnight, my car isn't starting on it's first go.

Turn key, wait on glowplug light going off (Very quick) ... start engine - it turns and then cuts off. Last week one day I had to accelerate to get it to fire up, and then it sat revving over 1,000 RPM (Which then died down) - not something I experienced with any of my VW TDI cars, is this normal for the Toyota D-4D engine?

I've no issue giving the car some throttle on starting, but I don't want to be doing it if the car shouldn't need it.

Easy things to check is the air filter, diesels can find it hard starting on cold morning if the filter is dirty (and clogged up) also could look at your Battery, maybe its on its way out, the cold effects a "weaker" Battery

I have had this problem for a while now, although mine has never failed to start as such, but it would chug and chug before it starts. Once it starts it never stalls. It's been a bit of a journey so far and I will list all the things that I have done so far below in an attempt to fix it:

1. Toyota had the car for 3 weeks, changed the Battery as they said there was a fault code for batt failure - did not fix but improved

2. Toyota changed erg valve - did not fix and no effects

3. Used redex over about 20 tanks full - did not fix but improved smoking

4. Did rickd4d DIY egr clean - did not fix but improved economy

5. Cleaned MAF sensor - No difference

6. Turn off ventilation before switching car off - theory is to not have this running when starting the car up to give the starter all the amp possible - Promising as this improves the start even on coldest days. This may seem way left field, but this is an honest observation.

other obvious things to look at are glow plugs and starter motor, Toyota are insistent that they are fine.

now there are things that i have been suggested to being wrong by other members here i.e Injectors but Toyota insisted that they were fine also.

Also make sure that you are using a good oil and viscosity should be 5w30, this plays a major role in how well your car starts. Before I questioned my Toyota dealer, they were actually using 10w40 grade! its worth checking out.

My problem is not fixed but it has improved with a little bit of effort and persistence, I just hope it does not manifest into something costly as it is way out of warranty now.

Good luck and please do report back if things improve or otherwise as this is a working progress for me.

On a cold morning where it has been frosty overnight, my car isn't starting on it's first go.

Turn key, wait on glowplug light going off (Very quick) ... start engine - it turns and then cuts off. Last week one day I had to accelerate to get it to fire up, and then it sat revving over 1,000 RPM (Which then died down) - not something I experienced with any of my VW TDI cars, is this normal for the Toyota D-4D engine?

I've no issue giving the car some throttle on starting, but I don't want to be doing it if the car shouldn't need it.

hi mate

ok glows are in order.

now check with both SCV valves --- they are deemed to play with you due to either coil issue or electricity leak on the pump housing. It is easy to have a el tester and mmeasure both coils ohmnedance (compare with manual)-- if you see a differ -- they must be changed (SCV). I presume your fuel/air filters are in order and clean. Cheers/Igor

T Sport 1978 has pretty much done everything i tried when i first had starting problems last year. I too changed glow plugs but this was not the problem. You know what fixed my cold starting problems............an oil change. Thats it. It seems that when my oil gets dirty and thick it stops the car from starting first time.

This happened to me this year too. I had 2 weeks of problem starting last month so did an oil change and to date had no problems with starting. Even with the recent frosty mornings.

I recommend trying this and use 5w 30 oil. Especially if you have stop start button.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies, the car was only serviced about 1,400 miles ago.

I don't want to troubleshoot the issue as the car has a warranty, I'm glad this isn't a common thing with the engine - I'll phone the dealership and have them look at it.

Will keep you informed.

• 1 month later...

My 2007 D4D Auris has been starting superbly in this very cold weather,It has Motul 8100 5/30 oil in it and I put a K&N panel filter in it.

TBH its never not started in the 3 and a half years that I have had it well apart from the time I left the radio on all day while I was cleaning it and flattened the Battery :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links