Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Conrods?

NE Celica Girl

Hiya.

I think ive just scared my self already! i read somewhere that someone has just blown a conrod? And it mentioned oil?

My car is using roughly 1-2 litres of oil a month. So now i am crapping myself thinking its a conrod! lol

What are the signs of a conrod going? How would i get it checked? How much roughly to replace, and is there anything else that could be causing the car to eat oil, or is this oil consumption usual of a car of this age?

It has 111k ish miles on the clock....

Any help would be greatly appriciated. I am a massive worrier!!! lol

if you had a broken conrod your car would be running like a bag of nails if it would run at all. have you checked for any leaks as apposed to it being burnt? places to check are the sump, the rocker cover as this can worp

i havnt noticed any oil on the ground under the car or anything like that. The car itself runs really well, no unusual noises like knocking or hissing or nothing, and i suppose its power is fairly accurate. It just goes through alot of oil.

Another question regarding oil is, what is the best oil grade for the car? Im not entirely sure if it has the right oil in, so would that be a factor? At the minute, it has 10/40 in. I was wanting to do a complete oil change to Castrol but i dont want to spend all that money on that oil if its burning it as quick as it is and if i dont know the correct grade.

Sorry if i sound like a complete noob here! I guess we all have to start somewhere!

And thankyou for your reply!

dont worry about the conrods, may have been the gen 7 celica as these had oil consumption issues (piston design problem)

the ST you have should be fitted with the 2.0 3S-GE engine and these are very strong engines.

your oil consumption seems high but depends on what mileage its over.

worth having a good look underneath as it may have a leak thats only apparent when driving, a look underneath will tell you if its wet with oil underneath.

does the car smoke on acceleration (thick grey smoke)?

10/40 oil is fine but with the mileage a 10/50 semi synthetic may be better.

dont worry about the conrods, may have been the gen 7 celica as these had oil consumption issues (piston design problem)

the ST you have should be fitted with the 2.0 3S-GE engine and these are very strong engines.

your oil consumption seems high but depends on what mileage its over.

worth having a good look underneath as it may have a leak thats only apparent when driving, a look underneath will tell you if its wet with oil underneath.

does the car smoke on acceleration (thick grey smoke)?

10/40 oil is fine but with the mileage a 10/50 semi synthetic may be better.

Its has a 1.8 engine in it?

the car definetly doesnt smoke on accelation.

thanks about the oil! will change it asap.

might be worth getting a reputable garage to do a compression and leak down test just to rule out a worn engine.

as long as you keep an eye on the oil level it will be OK and you wont damage your engine :thumbsup: