Do Not Sell My Personal Information

30 Day No Quibble Exchange- Problem (Help)

hora

I picked up a approved used Auris yesterday, got it onto the motorway and was amazed at how it sat at a constant high 4000 revs at just 70mph. This was tiring and it wasn't helping the fuel economy either (the car is a 1.6 manual).

The test route that I was taken on was exclusively urban and no offer was made to go onto the motorway (I'd say circa 4-5miles away).

This morning I contacted the dealership to ask if I could exchange the car and I would also put me ontop. I was told there are certain T&C's and unfortunately I can't exchange my Auris and the exchange only relates to cars that have a mechanical issue that Toyota can not fix.

I was told I could simply take my px car back and they'd cancel the deal. Part of the reason I bought from a Toyota main dealer were the reassuring marketing spiel on the website.

I said to the sales manager I was more than willing to pay more but again I was told there are terms and conditions attached to the 30 day 'no quibble' exchange program. On the Toyota site there is no astrix against the following paragraph:

"With Toyota Approved, your car comes complete with a pre-delivery check, a mileage check, Roadside Assistance, and a 30 day no-quibble exchange plan"

The terms and conditions listed are against 'the big 5' and do not mention at all any detail on the exchange.

Has anyone had any problems with the exchange? Any recommendations? I found it abit odd that rather than exchange they preferred just to give me my PX'd car back.

Ouch, my 1.33 sits at about 2900 at 70mph and its near silent on the motorway.

but takes a long time to get there.

I picked up a approved used Auris yesterday, got it onto the motorway and was amazed at how it sat at a constant high 4000 revs at just 70mph. This was tiring and it wasn't helping the fuel economy either (the car is a 1.6 manual).

The test route that I was taken on was exclusively urban and no offer was made to go onto the motorway (I'd say circa 4-5miles away).

This morning I contacted the dealership to ask if I could exchange the car and I would also put me ontop. I was told there are certain T&C's and unfortunately I can't exchange my Auris and the exchange only relates to cars that have a mechanical issue that Toyota can not fix.

I was told I could simply take my px car back and they'd cancel the deal. Part of the reason I bought from a Toyota main dealer were the reassuring marketing spiel on the website.

I said to the sales manager I was more than willing to pay more but again I was told there are terms and conditions attached to the 30 day 'no quibble' exchange program. On the Toyota site there is no astrix against the following paragraph:

"With Toyota Approved, your car comes complete with a pre-delivery check, a mileage check, Roadside Assistance, and a 30 day no-quibble exchange plan"

The terms and conditions listed are against 'the big 5' and do not mention at all any detail on the exchange.

Has anyone had any problems with the exchange? Any recommendations? I found it abit odd that rather than exchange they preferred just to give me my PX'd car back.

That does seem pretty high.

I don't see them changing the car though as they will say that you test drove it and its not broken down, you just don't like the high revs at 70mph, and someone is bound to tell you to drive at 60 instead and lower revs plus increase economy.

See if they will let you take another 1.6 car out on the motorway to compare and then at least you can prove a fault, but it sounds like you might have selected 3rd instead of 5th :unsure:

Why not start a quick new thread... "1.6 owners, revs at 70mph"

4K at 70 seems high, that was the big whinge I had with my old TSport... too tiring on the motorway due to low gearing even in 6th. A 1.4 Corolla in the family is much lower revving than that and far more relaxing despite only being 5 speed. Does the 1.6 have a 6 speed box ?

As adamc260 says, the 1.33 is great... for me for this very reason.

1.33? Are you sure? I mentioned the 1.33 Yaris with its sixth gear would be better and the reply was 'no its a town car'. I'm no expert but I do understand gearing. The gearing is wrong.

Ps. On your 1.33, is that 70 actual or 70 indicated? If its 70 indicated then you need to add +7mph in my opinion. If its 70 actual, well I'm impressed. Does yours have a 6th gear?

I really got the impression that they'd rather I took my px back and left.

Edit. The 1.33 is a 6speed. Probably a nod towards gearing right for motorway cruising/economy. The 1.6's gearing is erroneous IMO.

Good though the Yaris is, it is only really a town car as you say. I've driven a couple and while they are fun they are certainly no Auris when it comes to ride and refinement.

I haven't checked absolutely the speedo accuracy but have noted that when passing roadside boards that show speed, that the speedo appears not to overead by much at all and certainly not as much as the TSport. Exact 30mph on the speedo can show 28/29 on a roadside board.

Similarly the "average speed" on the trip computer. Reset that when keeping at a constant speed and the average is only one or two mph below the speedo reading... so beware if on previous cars you knew that an indicated 33 or 34 was in fact only a true 30 as you went through cameras etc... on the Auris it probably isn't.

The 1.33 is a gem of an engine... even up to the red line it is super super smooth and quiet.

I would suggest that you call Toyota Customer Service and ask their advice on the 30 day exchange. I have used this service when I did not like the 1.4 Auris we purchased and was able to do an exchange to a 1.6 with no problems what so ever at all - the dealership was very helpful and put up no blocks at all and made the process very easy. The reason for the exchange was that I found the car to be very underpowered and found it dreadful on the motorway.

That does seem pretty high.

I don't see them changing the car though as they will say that you test drove it and its not broken down, you just don't like the high revs at 70mph, and someone is bound to tell you to drive at 60 instead and lower revs plus increase economy.

See if they will let you take another 1.6 car out on the motorway to compare and then at least you can prove a fault, but it sounds like you might have selected 3rd instead of 5th :unsure:

hi

the auris 1.6 with 5 speed box, in top the revs you get 20 mph per 1000 revs.so at 70 mph its 3500 revs.

yes a 6 speed box would be nice.but at what price to convert.

first gear 4.6 mph per 1000 revs

second gear 8.6 mph per 1000 revs

third gear 12.5 mph per 1000 revs

forth gear 16.9 mph per 1000 revs

fifth gear 20.0 mph per 1000 revs.

you wont find you speedo and rev counter matching these fiqures exactly.mines a about 3 revs low in top at 70 mph.

Thats a shame as a 1.6 isn't really a town car sized engine, so it should be able to manage a steady 70mph without working hard.

Regardless of the Toyota exchange you also have the UK Sale of Goods Act

If you have a problem with a used car, you have a short time after buying it to reject the car.
Source http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/problemswithvehicles-sum6.cfm

So I suggest you write a letter stating you are rejecting the car return it to the dealer with the keys and leave it on the forecourt. You can tell them you are rejecting the car under the Sale of Goods Act with a full refund OR they can still make a sale under the Toyota no quibble exchange.

My 1.33 is nippy enough for what i need, isn't slow to 60... and you wouldnt buy that car for speed anyway

its quiet at tick over.... you almost cant hear it and on the motorway it cruises along silently.

Defo beats the 1.6 from what i've heard

IMHO everyone should choose according to his needs. I tested both options and honestly think 1.33 is underpowered as for Auris size car. Auris is quite heavy and if you add some load plus 2-3 people inside then even 1.6 engine needs to work harder. The gearbox is rather short but after 3000 revs car is getting really nice punch.

My 1.33 is nippy enough for what i need, isn't slow to 60... and you wouldnt buy that car for speed anyway

its quiet at tick over.... you almost cant hear it and on the motorway it cruises along silently.

Defo beats the 1.6 from what i've heard

in your dreams.

what i ve heard the 1.33 is a poor replacement for the smaller engine it replaced.

acetip- tell me more? Bro in law is looking at the Yaris 1.33 for his missus as well.

acetip- tell me more? Bro in law is looking at the Yaris 1.33 for his missus as well.

look on earlier postings on the yaris forum.some unhappy 1.33 owners.

I had the 1.33 Urban Cruiser (same set up) and found it fine. You have to rev it a bit, the 6 speed box just makes it that way, but I rather liked it. Nothing wrong with the power if you are prepared to drop a gear ;)

The problem you have is that there are terms and conditions, even with a no quibble guarantee! The car you bought is the one you road tested, it is not faulty (or is it??), just not suitable for you. You don't have rights to reject goods just because you dont like them or you changed your mind. The best course of action would be to go in and speak to the sales manager to see if you can come to a deal to swap the car with another model. Keep calm but firm and see if you can negotiate your way out of the car

Kingo :thumbsup:

I came to the 1.33L after 8 years living with the 190bhp Corolla TSport and I'd take the Auris every time. It is a little "soft" on pulling away, but on the move it's fine... you just have to learn a different driving style and use the appropriate rev range/gears if you want to overtake etc. It's a wonderfully smooth power unit right up to the red line.