Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.3 Headlight Alignment

mrp

I've upgraded hte headlight bulbs as per many of the posts here. Main beam is now awesome but I find dipped is still a but lacking and still seems as if the beam is a but too short (the joys of night driving and middle age!). Would be grateful if someone could advise which adjuster raises the beam as a few feet of extra throw could make all the difference.

many thanks

mrp

At the backside of the lamp unit there are different screws which can adjust the height of the view. One for the high beam and one for the dipper.

Do notice that your dipper is not allowed to be adjusted above a certain height. If you place your car in the dark facing towards a wall on a 5 meter distance the beam should not go higher then the top of the bonnet. Both dipper beams have a side which goes up at a 45 degree angle. That's meant to illuminate the side (signs, other things which should be good visible on the side).

You can ignore that part.

Good quality bulbs give a sharp cut off top of the beam. Lesser bulbs will give a smooth cut.

If the bulbs are adjusted too high, you will blind oncoming traffic, making it dangerous to drive. Try to avoid that. Usually at the repair shop they have special equipment with which you can align the bulbs according to general standards. It is very well possible your bulbs are adjusted too low. It could very well be that you can get the beams adjusted at a repair shop without being charged.

Greetz

Pim

I've upgraded hte headlight bulbs as per many of the posts here. Main beam is now awesome but I find dipped is still a but lacking and still seems as if the beam is a but too short (the joys of night driving and middle age!). Would be grateful if someone could advise which adjuster raises the beam as a few feet of extra throw could make all the difference.

many thanks

mrp

Don't want to teach 'egg sucking' here but I assume you are aware of the headlight adjustment wheel/roller on the dash?

It's to the right of the steering wheel and is obscured by the wheel [and not illuminated :angry: ]

Headlight adjuster is up as far as it goes, the beams are bright enough, just falling a bit short on country roads. I was trying to avoid Mr T charging me ££'s for setting the beams

In my opinion you did it wrong and should have upgraded the low beams with H11s as the mains tend to dazzle off road signs anyway but here you are;

headlight aim.pdf

Don't want to teach 'egg sucking' here but I assume you are aware of the headlight adjustment wheel/roller on the dash?

It's to the right of the steering wheel and is obscured by the wheel [and not illuminated :angry: ]

The 4.1 adjustment wheel is illuminated... One thing they somehow changed over the years for unknown reasons i guess.

In my opinion you did it wrong and should have upgraded the low beams with H11s as the mains tend to dazzle off road signs anyway but here you are;

Is that a feature of the 4.3 that you can use different bulb types for the low beam? H11 and H4 are different bulbs, right?

Greetz

Pim

Anchorman, many thanks that is superb. I've actualy upgraded all the bulbs, dipped and main beam. As I said, it is just that the beams appear to fall 5-10 feet of where I am looking on the road. I appreciate that at the same time I do not want to blind oncoming traffic. Thanks again.

mrp

The 4.1 adjustment wheel is illuminated... One thing they somehow changed over the years for unknown reasons i guess.

Is that a feature of the 4.3 that you can use different bulb types for the low beam? H11 and H4 are different bulbs, right?

Greetz

Pim

Yes Pim on the 4,3 you have 4 lights (2 pairs)so main/ dipped beams are completely seperate lights, on yours you have single lights but double filament bulbs :thumbsup: Stew