Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlights And Rear Lights - Condensation

keninski

Morning Everyone

as you may know from a previous post i picked my 58 plate auris sr up on saturday.

Overall i am very happy with the car but i have noticed condensation in all the headlights and rear lights.

Would i be right in saying this is a fault with the units and toyota should replace these under warranty?

Thanks

Alan

Depends how bad it is. Condensation is inescapable, the headlights get hot, they are not hermetically sealed so will draw in moisture from the atmosphere as they cool. If outdoors and it's cold and humid then yes you will see it.

Rear lights... I would say no unless you have damp stuff in the car. The rears should only be exposed to the interior air in the car rather than outside air. Trouble with anything like this is it can take a long time to disappear once it's built up.

It is the rears i am more concerned about as these contain droplets of water where as the headlights have a bit of mist inside them.

The headlights i can put up with but i wouldnt expect droplets of water in the rears.

It is the rears i am more concerned about as these contain droplets of water where as the headlights have a bit of mist inside them.

The headlights i can put up with but i wouldnt expect droplets of water in the rears.

It might also be worth while checking the seals around the boot door. My wife's Avensis had a problem with the seals and it was causing a build up of water in the floor pan which lead to condensation on the back window and in the rear light clusters. Maybe your Auris has a similar problem but it's not as bad yet?

Hi all,

FYI, I picked up my brand new Auris HSD a couple of days ago and yesterday, after driving for a couple of hours, I also noticed condensation inside the "headlight area" (for want of a better term).

For the record, it's about -7C here at the moment.

It didn't strike me as anything to worry about though.

• 4 weeks later...

condensation in all the headlights and rear lights.

On picking up my SR, I noticed condensation in the rear light, high level break light and mist in the headlights.

I'm keeping an eye on them, the headlights always clear and re-mist (seen that on many cars over the years), although it's never been above about 2oC since taking ownership. I might try and expose the rear lights to a little hair-dryer/drier treatment, see if I can warm them through a bit, or blow into the back of them!

The car was valeted prior to collection, which is why I think the inside rear window and sunroof develop quite a lot of moisture / condensation.

If any of that doesn't sound quite right, someone please point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

condensation in all the headlights and rear lights.

On picking up my SR, I noticed condensation in the rear light, high level break light and mist in the headlights.

I'm keeping an eye on them, the headlights always clear and re-mist (seen that on many cars over the years), although it's never been above about 2oC since taking ownership. I might try and expose the rear lights to a little hair-dryer/drier treatment, see if I can warm them through a bit, or blow into the back of them!

The car was valeted prior to collection, which is why I think the inside rear window and sunroof develop quite a lot of moisture / condensation.

If any of that doesn't sound quite right, someone please point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Hey,

I also noticed the condensation problem but didn't pay any attention. In 3+ years of usage I replaced only one taillight bulb.

Hey,

I also noticed the condensation problem but didn't pay any attention. In 3+ years of usage I replaced only one taillight bulb.

Hi and Happy Christmas.

Given that you've had this issue for 3+ years without problems, I suppose I don't see it as problem as such anymore. I just think it's untidy. I like to keep a clean car and it really draws the eye and I think it smacks of poor quality. I'll live with it for the time being and speak with the dealer, they're due a visit regarding some paint work they're doing for me.

Cheers and all the best for 2011 people.

• 6 years later...

Old thread I know but I've just bought my wife an 07 Auris. Condensation appears in the rear light clusters and boot. Don't like the smell or the fact it's happening. It shouldn't be happening!

Any advice welcome.

On 27/10/2017 at 10:58 AM, Paulscarbs said:

Old thread I know but I've just bought my wife an 07 Auris. Condensation appears in the rear light clusters and boot. Don't like the smell or the fact it's happening. It shouldn't be happening!

Any advice welcome.

The rear light clusters the seal/ gasket has probably perished - which is letting in water. It's an easy fix if the seal is still intact - just use a bead of silicone. 

40 minutes ago, ABToyota said:

The rear light clusters the seal/ gasket has probably perished - which is letting in water. It's an easy fix if the seal is still intact - just use a bead of silicone. 

ThNks, this has already been done yet there is still condensation. Another member suggested it may be the vents which are either side of the inner panel behind the bumper. 

On early Auris, the seals to the vents behind the rear bumper did give problems. Water in the boot or spare wheel well were indications this was happening. Re-sealing usually cures this.

Using a dehumidifying bag or similar can also help clear condensation. Eg - https://www.amazon.co.uk/2x500g-DEHUMIDIFYING-REUSABLE-MOISTURE-ABSORBING/dp/B00AZOYU84/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1509479144&sr=8-1&keywords=Dehumidifying+bag+for+cars

• 3 years later...

I used to have 10+years old cars. Most of the time condensation on the headlight can be fixed by sealing  the whole perimeter between front and rear parts of the headlight or tail light with high quality silicon sealant. Make sure buy a good silicon from Dupont, GE, or Loctite. Cheap silicon does not stick well. It takes time to dry and smell vinegar but once it is dry it is really tough. So using painter tape is a good idea to make sure no uggly residue. 

I also have small condensation on my 2016 Auris touring  hybrid. I retight very slightly the 3 philips head screws. I will let you guys know if there is any improvements. If it does not work, I will seal it with silicon sealant. So far nothing wrong with the trunk weather sealing. Never have problems with water in the trunk or inner cabin. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have a 2015 toyota hybrid excel tourer and have just noticed condensation in the rear tailgate light cluster near side. To put this right Toyota want £221. That is for a new unit and labour. On closer inspection I have noticed very slight condensation on the rear drivers side. This unit is more expensive at £175 just for the unit.

I tried removing the left side cluster but was unable to get to the third stud and nut which means removing the internal tailgate panel. I don't have any leak into the boot so I put this down to the seals in the light unit itself.

Does anyone know if I can reseal the unit from water ingress rather than spending the best part of £450. Can the unit be seperated to perhaps silicone the edges?

On the hatchback, I have suffered quite chronic water ingress after these light units were removed to replace the reverse camera, whilst under warranty.  In that situation, new light unit foam seals fixed the problem.  I did remove and inspect the lamp units whilst attempting to dry them out, before the dealer replaced these seals on a third visit.  

On the hatchback (pre-facelift), I was able to remove the last fastener through the bulb-replacement-cover-hole, with the rest of the hatch door intact.  But it was tight, and needed a good selection of tools, if I remember correctly - It was just my good luck that it could be removed that way.

Unless it's been in an accident, I wouldn't expect the units themselves to leak, I would look to get new foam seals, or use some silicone as you mention.

A new foam seal looks like this, just to see what you're working with, even if yours will be different shape:-

P1150617.thumb.JPG.e1b5a7f9718530309253618ee97d5b5e.JPG

P1150618.thumb.JPG.5c838bd50f0912917e5815d94189c71e.JPG

P1150620.thumb.JPG.2136951af14151917981afcedaaf9cbe.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike J P said:

Hi I have a 2015 toyota hybrid excel tourer and have just noticed condensation in the rear tailgate light cluster near side. To put this right Toyota want £221. That is for a new unit and labour. On closer inspection I have noticed very slight condensation on the rear drivers side. This unit is more expensive at £175 just for the unit.

I tried removing the left side cluster but was unable to get to the third stud and nut which means removing the internal tailgate panel. I don't have any leak into the boot so I put this down to the seals in the light unit itself.

Does anyone know if I can reseal the unit from water ingress rather than spending the best part of £450. Can the unit be seperated to perhaps silicone the edges?

Condensation on lights it’s normal and happens to almost all cars, as long as it’s not that much to cause trouble or failure on mot test and there is no water leaks in the boot better just leave it as is. Usually lights has a vent holes somewhere, some even has drain gutters and rubber boots to stop dust and water coming back inside, these get blocked with the time and that’s why older cats get more moisture locked inside the light clusters. Paying crazy money to make the car perfect not sure is worth it. Take them out of the car, clean all around from dirt and debris and install a new seals may help plus will guarantee no water leaks in future. 👍

• Like 1

Thanks for that info. I tried again today to access the third nut from inside the bulb replacement panel but failed to even see it even with a dental mirror. I did see on you tube someone remove the tailgate plastic panel but it was a different model to mine. His was located on plastic fasteners. I attempted to pull on the panel after levering it out a bit but was afraid of breaking something so I left it. my auris is a tourer and it may be a different set up to the hatchback

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links