Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Noise And Lack Of Power At Low Revs

Gas Guzzler

I have a 56 plate D4D T180 tourer. There is a strange dull vibrating noise coming from the engine bay at low speed and low revs. It is more noticable when de-accelerating in 1st & 2nd gear. I've had it checked out by a reputable mechanic as I thought it could be a blowing exhaust but he could not find anything wrong with the exhaust. There is also a considerable lack of power at around 1500rpm - 2000rpm before the turbo kicks in at around 2000rpm, sending the car flying up the road. This lack of power also happens at the same time as a puff of white smoke chugs from the exhaust. Are these all linked to the same fault or is there something more sinister happening? I've just had it serviced and the mechanic suggests a trip to Toyota main dealer for further diagnostics. Any help would be appreciated!

I have a 56 plate D4D T180 tourer. There is a strange dull vibrating noise coming from the engine bay at low speed and low revs. It is more noticable when de-accelerating in 1st & 2nd gear. I've had it checked out by a reputable mechanic as I thought it could be a blowing exhaust but he could not find anything wrong with the exhaust. There is also a considerable lack of power at around 1500rpm - 2000rpm before the turbo kicks in at around 2000rpm, sending the car flying up the road. This lack of power also happens at the same time as a puff of white smoke chugs from the exhaust. Are these all linked to the same fault or is there something more sinister happening? I've just had it serviced and the mechanic suggests a trip to Toyota main dealer for further diagnostics. Any help would be appreciated!

hi mate

check with EGR and both SCV -- they are supposed to play with you.

Cheers/Igor

Maybe you search for "Airbox vibration" / resonance on this forum first.

That seems to be a frequent problem on T25's, and is simple to fix.

Spot on reply from Thermal re the resonating airbox fix....look under my name / posts from 2009 which was subject of a Toyota fix.

Big Kev. :thumbsup:

I too have a t180 avensis (saloon) and have noticed the same odd noise. I have had the egr valve replaced on warranty but now I get this ood noise, just as you have described it. I also fail to get anything like the quoted mpg for the car (only 35 mpg combined compared to the ca.50 mpg quoted by toyota). Have we got duds?

• 2 weeks later...

I too have a t180 avensis (saloon) and have noticed the same odd noise. I have had the egr valve replaced on warranty but now I get this ood noise, just as you have described it. I also fail to get anything like the quoted mpg for the car (only 35 mpg combined compared to the ca.50 mpg quoted by toyota). Have we got duds?

I can only dream of 35.. drive about 20-25 miles to work each day and the same back and around 16 miles around town making about 6 stops each day and I get about 33 MPG at best:-( Have cleaned the EGR and had Toyota look at the car. They say there is nothing wrong with it and it is really well set up with al the injectors dead on song. I drive at or below 80 for about half my journey to work and 60 or below the rest generally on cruise control. Im gonna sell and get something else instead which is a shame as I like the car in many other ways