Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1.0 Self Diagnostics

the rob

hey yaris owners ! my girlfriend has a 2001 yaris 1.0 vvti and the engine management light comes on now and then, its been back and forth to the garage replacing sensors which they are not clear about ! the light come on again and they said it may be a faulty cat and bodged it with some 'pipe' and appariently if the light comes on again a new cat is recuired ! i havent had the chance to look at it yet.

what cables and software would i require for DIY code reading and resetting etc ?? does this car have an obd port, where is it ? many thanks,rob

Test the lambda sensor first..

And code readers are no use without a code list and knowing where everything is - i.e wiring diagrams...

right had a look at the car today soo confussed ! i can see they have put a new lambda sensor in BUT they have welded a tube in where the cat used to be so now the car has NO cat !! the light has been off but after a 10mile journey has come back on again...

i cant see how the cat would effect the engine management if all the sensor are before the cat.....

right had a look at the car today soo confussed ! i can see they have put a new lambda sensor in BUT they have welded a tube in where the cat used to be so now the car has NO cat !! the light has been off but after a 10mile journey has come back on again...

i cant see how the cat would effect the engine management if all the sensor are before the cat.....

So the car went in to have a fault checked and they cut the exhaust, threw away the cat and welded in a peice? :o

Why the hell would they do that? MOT time will be fun now then! Think i would be going back demanding a new exhaust off them. :ffs:

So the car went in to have a fault checked and they cut the exhaust, threw away the cat and welded in a peice? :o

Why the hell would they do that? MOT time will be fun now then! Think i would be going back demanding a new exhaust off them. :ffs:

May I recommend you take it back to them and ask them why they have made your car illegal?

It is : no cat.

Get some money for a new cat and exhaust...or get them to put a new one on - do some research into prices first.

And then find yourself a competent garage and not a bunch of back street incompetents. (For the sake of politeness, I have not put down what I really think of them).

To answer your question, you need an OBD2 compliant scanner for the 1999-2005 Yaris. There's a connection or port under the edge of the dash by the driver's right foot (I think from memory).

There are a number of OBD scanners on eBay. I haven't tried any of the scanners but I got a cable like this and downloaded some "freeware" software for my laptop.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELM-327-OBD2-CAN-FAULT-CODE-DIAGNOSTIC-READER-SCANNER-/180585890117?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a0bc20145

I bought mine for my Alfa 156, but it also worked on our old Yaris, as both were "OBD2" compliant. The later Yaris is "Canbus" so I suspect that is different...

Anyway, I successfully used mine to read the fault codes and reset the light on my old 2000 1.0 using this tool.

Don't suppose you're anywhere near Lancashire are you, as my reader is sat in a drawer......?

As above you need an OBD11 reader, less than £30 from eBay. The socket is just under the shelf above the throttle pedal, it look a bit like a SCART Socket that you would find on a TV/Video.

As for the Garage cutting out the CAT, are they stupid?

Be mindful of the fact that there are TWO lambda sensors, one before the cat. and the other after the cat.

I bet there is now only one...

I would have thought the first thing to try would be cleaning or replacing the MAF before butchering your car exhaust like this. They don't have a hoss called "Trigger" and a couple of six shooters do they?

Bugger - At least you don't need a fault code reader to diagnose the latest problem.....

Nope the problem is really visible lol !! She has to go through all the insurance now, guess she won't get much for it

May I recommend you take it back to them and ask them why they have made your car illegal?

It is : no cat.

Get some money for a new cat and exhaust...or get them to put a new one on - do some research into prices first.

And then find yourself a competent garage and not a bunch of back street incompetents. (For the sake of politeness, I have not put down what I really think of them).

removeing the cat is not illegal.there a chap who makes replacement pipes to replace thhe cat on bmw,ford,etc.

asked at local garage and they told that its ok to do so.

Removing the cat is not illegal....

Passing the next MOT emissions test without the cat might be a bit difficult.....

Coupled with the fact that the ECU will be using the sensors before and after the cat to control the engine ignition mapping and fuel settings, so you'd also need new ECU software that was designed to work without a cat to make the car run properly and that also knew to suppress the engine warning light...

removeing the cat is not illegal.

driving the car on the road afterwards is, though.

And a car with cat removed would indeed also fail its MoT, for that fact (even if it still passed emissions).

Doesn't the Yaris have the bent paperclip trick where you can read diagnostic codes off the dashboard lights?

• 9 years later...

hy today my yaris 2005 radio tape not working i i go to the machnic the machinic change the fuse but after that engine is not starting and obd code reader also not diagnose the problm what hapen could b plz any one ans me?

Check ALL the fuses .. and the battery terminals for tightness..