Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 Avensis Petrol 1.8/2.0

T Sport 1978

Hi all Avensis owners,

I currently own a diesel Auris and am considering a change to a petrol Avensis 2009 - present 2nd hand.

I am specifically interested in the 1.8 or 2.0 valvematic T4 models, and possibly Tourer.

What i would appreciate is any input from current owners on things to look out for, experiences and comments on the engines mentioned in terms of reliability and economy and the car's overall experience.

I understand that you can no longer get petrol 2.0 brand new, but there are lots of these used and was wondering if the extra 200cc gives it any more real life advantage over the 1.8? I know all the figures but nothing like real life opinions. :)

Look forward to your replies and thanks in advance.

Hi,

That's odd, I can still order a 2.0 petrol over here with no problems.

Must have a tax and/or emission reason.

The difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 is/was small, both in Hp and torque.

The 2.0 is heavier, thirstier and more expensive, and fell into a higher tax category.

I wasn't interested.

Mine is a 2010 1,8 liter, and I'm satisfied with it.

It's not a race car, but a very smooth and quiet limousine (even when it's a tourer). ;)

Until now it's been reliable, uses no oil and is reasonably economical for its weight and size.

It does between 1:15 and 1:17 liter/Km and I'll let you do the math :)

The only problems that surfaced so far are, that I lost a couple of plastic clips from the engine room covers (broken and replaced under warranty of course), and I had 4 new brakes after 3 months (discs and pads) because they were squealing like mad.

Also, with the next inspection, the electric parking brake will be replaced.

It works perfectly, but it makes a gruelling noise as if something "down under" is going to break or snap soon.

So far so good, nice car.

*Edited* fuel (un-)economy calculation. :thumbsup:

Hi Thermal and thanks for the reply,

The 2.0 is off of the broucher now, but the are lots on the used market.

Curiously in the UK even though the emission is different the tax band falls just within the same band so it would make no difference in that respect to me.

What i would like to know is if the 2.0 is worth the extra fuel?

Nice to know that it has been a good car for you, but doing the math i am working out that 15-17 l/100km is 18MPG??? Is that right? That seems very low?

How long have you had the car?

...18MPG???

:eek: Good grief, no, I know how that got in, and will correct the original post.... sorry.

It's doing between 5.6 and 7 liters/100 Km, which is between 50.4430243 miles/gallon(UK) and 40.3544195 miles/gallon(UK).

As you see, I found the converter again.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/fuel_consumption.htm

IMHO the 2.0 is not worth the extra fuel.

Maybe that's why Toyota dropped it.

BTW, my Avensis is from early 2010.

Haha,

I thought that was a little low, as even my old Corolla T Sport was getting 25mpg!

Wow, thats better than my Auris in terms of economy. I have a running average of 38MPG since September 2009.

Thanks for your input, reassuring that it sounds like a good car.

Would you happen to know rev the car revs on when travelling at 70mph? Or typical motorway speed?

How do you find the audio system in it? And how is the USB port? I know that T4 should have the full Sat Nav audio and has USB.

....IMHO the 2.0 is not worth the extra fuel.

Maybe that's why Toyota dropped it.....

What utter rubbish.... I feel quite certain that the 2000 returns much the same in MPG as the 1800.... a couple of extra BHP is always welcome and that is why I chose the 2000 over the 1800 engine.

As for why the 2000 engine was dropped is more likely because of tax banding purposes :huh:

Phoenix999,

Thanks for the reply.

What mpg are you getting on your 2000 auto?

Also are you happy with power for the tourer?

The 1800 and 2000 are in the same band (for manual at least) at £155/yr.

Think your auto is one band up?

Worst case around town with short runs I get 25/27mpg.... a decent mix of town and open road I get about 38/45mpg.... on the motorway I can get as high as 55mpg.

The power is acceptable but to be honest I would like more, it is a shame that the Avensis does not come with a 2500cc option.

As for road tax.... I pay £155.

Now I call that fairly cheap motoring when I compare it to my previous Land Cruiser :yes:

That's pretty good for a petrol however you look at it, both economy and emission. Funny thing is my Auris is giving the same sort of return and same tax... DIESEL!?!?!

Any problem with yours at all?

I have had the car from new and bought it in May 2009. The only problems I have had is a slight coming together with a 7.5 ton truck but heck that was nothing I can blame on the car.

The only fault with the car was that a front door handle had to be replaced as the sensors inside stopped working.... this was warranty work and the handle was changed in 90 minutes once the dealer got it in stock.

Otherwise I cannot fault the car at all and it attracts compliments on its styling and build quality. A friend of mine who drives an E Class Mercedes is very impressed with the quality of the car :)

What utter rubbish....

Thanks... :(

To clarify, before ordering mine, I made a test drive in both the 1.8 and 2.0 liter manual versions, just out of curiosity.

And really, I could only tell the difference by looking at the registration certificate.

Not surprising, because the difference between the two engines is only 5 bhp and 16 Nm of torque.

Maybe when pulling a >1500 Kg trailer uphill, but really....

Apart from a specified (by Toyota) higher fuel consumption, higher emission and a higher tax category here, the 2.0 liter had a € 3950 higer price tag for the same basic outfit.

That made my choice easy.

Thanks for all your comments and i shall take it all on board.

Nice to know that it seems to be a good car and certainly better received than the Auris.

Another thumbs up for the Avensis from me! Lovely car!

Mine is the T4 Tourer with CVT and is a year old. It's got everything you could ever need and is quick and comfortable. Awesome load carrying capacity too! :thumbsup:

No real idea about the fuel economy. I've never been one to take any notice (it empties, I fill it up! :lol: )

Crustynuggets,

Thanks for that and good to know another happy soul!

I like your philosophy :) You will see how easy it is to be obsessed with M.P.G on the Auris board... Its a hot topic there.

No real idea about the fuel economy. I've never been one to take any notice (it empties, I fill it up! :lol: )

I like that approach and it tends to be the way I look at it. However, with the onboard computer it can be hard not to take a peek and see what the car returns as far as mpg is concerned.

Whatever my car returns to the gallon I am happy with it as it is an extremely comfortable car and ticks all the boxes as far as I am concerned.

Whatever my car returns to the gallon I am happy with it as it is an extremely comfortable car and ticks all the boxes as far as I am concerned.

Exactly. Without doubt the most comfortable car I've had to date. All the detractors can call it boring, plain, blah blah blah, but my requirements were a comfortable, roomy and safe car with lots of kit. For that, it gets top marks and puts a big smile on my face. :)

My car will get it's first of many trips to Germany in January, so it will be interesting to see how that goes (the in-laws own a holiday house in the German Alps which we make good, and free, use of! :yahoo: ) Actually, that reminds me, I must sort out a winter tyre / wheel set.........

You guys are such good adverts for the car :)

You guys are such good adverts for the car :)

The car speaks for itself. It really is good! :thumbsup:

Oh, and servicing at Toyota is cheap as chips too. Certainly a lot cheaper than my last car, a crappy Kia!

I agree Toyota servicing is very reasonable, and prices varies between franchises.

Avoid Jemca!

The franchise i go to is roughly 30% cheaper than Jemca still.

I read a review of the Avensis that compared it to the reliable bloke in the office - the one you would give the job you really wanted doing to and know it would be done, there would be no mistakes and you would not have to chase him every 5 mins. Its not the fun chap in the office that you go and get drunk with at the end of the week who has the charming smile, but you know that give him something serious to do, and you'll end up doing it again yourself.

I know which type of person id reather deal with in the end.

Oh, i have had some issues with some dealers, but then thats true of some "prestige" brands too, so, thats not really a down point for the car

Well i am that person in the office... The car sounds like a perfect match to me :thumbsup:

True, but i will stand by my claim that Jemca is to be avoided. They are the most expensive and seem to be the least friendly that i have come across. Also they tried to charge me £29.99 for the winter check and not give me the goody kit when it should only cost £19.99. I thought to myself "nice try".

2009 - Present Avensis T4 owners

Can anyone tell me if the normal audio (Non SAT NAV) units have USB interface?

Much appreciated

Thanks Crusty for the prompt reply.

Darn it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links