Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems Cold Starting Starlet With 1N Diesel Engine

bobimac

i have a 1994 toyota starlet limited edition import with 1N diesel engine. up until recently it started on the button no problem. now when its cold its sometimes takes 3 or 4 times to start & i'm almost sure its lack of fuel. at first i thought it may be a blocked fuel filter so i changed it but this has not sorted the problem. i think the fuel is leaking back when its stood overnight & priming does help a little but not enough. compression seems to be ok so it can only be fuel or glow plugs. the glowplug light is coming on & going off so i think its unlikely all 4 plugs are faulty. as anybody else had a similar problem? any help would be appreciated.

i have a 1994 toyota starlet limited edition import with 1N diesel engine. up until recently it started on the button no problem. now when its cold its sometimes takes 3 or 4 times to start & i'm almost sure its lack of fuel. at first i thought it may be a blocked fuel filter so i changed it but this has not sorted the problem. i think the fuel is leaking back when its stood overnight & priming does help a little but not enough. compression seems to be ok so it can only be fuel or glow plugs. the glowplug light is coming on & going off so i think its unlikely all 4 plugs are faulty. as anybody else had a similar problem? any help would be appreciated.

hi mate

even though the glowplugs light goes off -- you have to be sure the plugs control relay is in order -- sometimes due to too much carbon deposits inside - the electricity lose is occured and all plugs tips get no power. so you have to inspect both relay and all lugs as initial step. another problem -- are you sure the diesel in use is winter quality giving no filter blocking by parafine?? -- but you ve stated of filter changing. also be sure the SCV is in order as well. I do not list other ordinary problems now. Check and revert/Igor

• 9 months later...

You should be able to easily feel the heat from the glow plug in this engine when they come on. Also if you remove the injectors you`ll be able to glow plugs almost instantly turn orange hot.

I have also test my injectors by removing them then cranking over the engine a couple time. It`s better to test them separately with a pop-tester, but these can be very expensive.

• 1 month later...

I also have this problem,I have a Toyota Hiace limited edition,What did you do about this?

I also have this problem,I have a Toyota Hiace limited edition,What did you do about this?

AS STATED ABOVE:

You should be able to easily feel the heat from the glow plug in this engine when they come on. Also if you remove the injectors you`ll be able to glow plugs almost instantly turn orange hot.

I have also test my injectors by removing them then cranking over the engine a couple time. It`s better to test them separately with a pop-tester, but these can be very expensive.