Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Route Avoidance Query

markleigh

On my old Tom Tom, I could select the route and then highlight a particular road that I wanted to avoid... it would then work out an alternate journey.

Can I do this on a GenIII SatNav?

I can work out how to select a detour and how to avoid motorways... but can't see if there's a way to avoid a particular road in the 'turn by turn' listing...

Maybe the SatNav isn't that flexible.

Thanks

Mark

On my old Tom Tom, I could select the route and then highlight a particular road that I wanted to avoid... it would then work out an alternate journey.

I can work out how to select a detour and how to avoid motorways... but can't see if there's a way to avoid a particular road in the 'turn by turn' listing...

Thanks

Mark

Yes, there is an avoid option somewhere in the system. I did use it for a while earlier in the year to avoid the A10/A14 junction in Cambridge. From memory, you select a junction, or other destination, and then press the avoid button on the screen. If you haven't found it by tomorrow, or if someone else hasn't come up with the answer, I'll post the information tomorrow.

There are a lot of options, if only you can find them. The interface isn't exactly intuitive to start with. I do miss the silly Gen II option to have the system trace through your entire route on the map. I think it was on the Route screen, along with the route trace (pea dropping) option.

Thanks

Mark

To add to the previous response, when you select an "avoid" point, the system sets up an area on the map to avoid. You can make this area (a rectangle) as large or as small as you need.

The system lets you set up a number of areas to avoid (could be about 10?)

It also picks up traffic reports and uses these to dynamically set up points to avoid (which can get annoying, as it is very persistent if you keep telling it to ignore the jam)

Many thanks... will begin experimentation!

Mark