Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

bluevortex

I know all the blah blah blah about snow tyres v summer ones, but how much difference does a few mm on the tread depth make? If it's really wet it might make the difference between the engine being flooded or not :rolleyes: but in snow / slush / ice, is there any real difference?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bluevortex

• shcm

• anchorman

• MarsKy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know all the blah blah blah about snow tyres v summer ones, but how much difference does a few mm on the tread depth make? If it's really wet it might make the difference berween the engine being flooded or not :rolleyes: but in snow / slush / ice, is there any real difference?

As much as the difference between plastic and elastic. Your normal tyres will stiffen below 7'C and won't grip as well. The winter tyres stay soft and will move the snow/ slush out from the tyre and give better grip.

Like-for-like, tread depth is not the issue.

After moving to snow tyres after a few near misses on my old 4WD (which had good tread all round on normal tyres) it made a huge amount of difference.

I just spent quite a bit of money this week getting the tyres and alloys to fit them - I wouldn't have put my money where my mouth is if I wasn't convinced.

Blue - Ideal Car detailing weather then! ;). Looks nice, but you are welcome to every single flake of it. :yes:. Still I guess it helps the ski industry up there :thumbsup:

'cause I've been up on holiday in your neck of the woods more times that I can remember, I know some of those roads and often look at the live eye views on trafficscotland

http://trafficscotland.org/lev/

Some look, er "interesting" at the moment :thumbsup:

but how much difference does a few mm on the tread depth make?

It's not just tread, but compound, I understand. I also agree with Marsky's comments. I've driven hire cars with winter tyres on business in Germany and Austria (where I believe they are a legal requirement in winter) in some foul mid-winter weather (why do I always get sent in winter? :unsure:) and the difference is like day and night. All our test cars get fitted with them for winter test.

We've barely had a flake here yet, but are promising 8 inches of the white stuff middle of next week. Great! (not!). That means everything will just jam up, so going nowhere even if you have got traction.

Still, I'm dead jealous, so, Blue, in my best Arnie voice, "I need you wheels, tyres and your sunglasses" :D. ..... er please :unsure:

Went out this morning for a bike ride around Thorndon Country Park......

So @9:30 and -2 set off.... No snow here yet but very cold....:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Awaiting the rest to turn up in my nice warm RAV....

12cf1232.jpg

So dressed accordingly for the weather.....:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

ColdHead.jpg

So dressed accordingly for the weather.....:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

ColdHead.jpg

Flipping hell Chatters whatever you do don't walk in to a bank or post office, dressed like that you will be shot on sight :2guns: Stew

ColdHead.jpg

Flipping hell Chatters whatever you do don't walk in to a bank or post office, dressed like that you will be shot on sight :2guns: Stew

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We came across a coach load of ramblers and fast walkers.. you know the ones walking like they need the loo.... All foggy out and then all these guys appear through the mist...with faces covered by masks..... HA HA HA HA HA HA it was so funny seeing them almost fall over each other.... We passed with happy waves and "Morning" :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

You're a brave man, Blue. I mean, who else would post a video with a dubious 80's soundtrack :D

I was playing around similar roads near Cumbernauld (in OEM tyres). The only way I could get it to slide was going too fast around roundabouts. Heard the rapid succession of beeps telling me I had lost traction for the first time. Just waiting on my Conti's to arrive and hopefully I'll get to do a comparison soon.

Ha ha it was the radio - honest!

The snow tyres are the business, really impressed. Been driving places this weekend that I would not dreamt about attempting without a 4x4. Such a difference from last winter when we had cabin fever being stuck at home for long periods. The rav feels solid, even starting from standing still on a hill! Well worththe investment especially as we have another 4 months of this :)

Blue

A word of advice.

When you are driving along a road and a Land Rover comes the other way you need to pull over well to the left to reduce the risk of falling or flying parts damaging your RAV. This also applies on nice days to avoid skidding on the trail of oil it leaves under the blue smoke. I saw no such attempt and can't believe the disregard for your motor.

Now on a less serious note - it puts a grin on your face doesn't it. You didn't think it would be so good did you? Oh and by the way you need a plough attachment for that drive.

Landrovers a plenty here at the moment and most of them look down there noses at you like you are 2nd class citizen for driving a non-landrover 4x4!

A snow plough attachment for the Rav4? That would be a must have! I'm sick of clearing snow already 3 days in to winter!!

A snow plough attachment for the Rav4? That would be a must have! I'm sick of clearing snow already 3 days in to winter!!

I wonder if anybody in the US does one? :unsure:

Mitchigan in the middle of winter, every other vehicle seems (or did) to have a snow plough attached. Mind you, every other vehicle seems to be a pick-up (with plough) pointlessly hauling a great pile of snow around in the back.

Like the video! :thumbsup:

Ah liked the dog best in the video.....sounds like Scooby Doo when Mrs. Blue tells it tae shut up....worth playing again just for that.

Blue....my new Clean yer Car Jewel Ackshin polisheriser has arrived....stand by yer bed for silly questions....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Ha ha.... Well one of the unusable videos had Mrs Blue f'ing and blinding at the dog on my return as he nearly got run over by me!! Needles to say I could not upload to YouTube!

Btw ... I hope you have a heated garage BK or it'll be very hard work! I don't recall what polish you purchased but some are very sensitive to cold temperatures and you will find difficult to apply.

Won't be doing anything this side of March, Big Chap.

Koojy forward your e-mail address to nicefolk@btinternet.com and I will soon start to ask the daft questions....let's call it prep school for next year, with all replies qualifying for a donation to Mrs. Blues favourite charity (you would jist spend it on bevvy....)

Big Kev :thumbsup:

I wonder if anybody in the US does one? :unsure:

Mitchigan in the middle of winter, every other vehicle seems (or did) to have a snow plough attached. Mind you, every other vehicle seems to be a pick-up (with plough) pointlessly hauling a great pile of snow around in the back.

Like the video! :thumbsup:

Snowplough attachment courtesy of Davrav

LINK

Unbelievable!

He can keep the plough - just give me the garage. Its bigger than my house.

Unbelievable!

He can keep the plough - just give me the garage. Its bigger than my house.

Nah...........That's just his shed :D

'course, if you have a RAV a plough isn't essential

:thumbsup:

You could earn a bit on the side if you had that at the moment Blue :thumbsup:

Received wisdom [courtesy of RAV4 World] is that, as the RAV doesn't have a chassis as such, it would be unwise to fit a plough :unsure:

Why have they put antennas at the edge of the plough? :unsure: Daft place to put antennas in my opinion. :rolleyes: :P

We've been using our JCB 515 to clear the yard our charity runs (to sell unwanted building materials collected from builders), to allow diy-ers and one man builders to get to us. Its so fast and so good, if the snow continues then we will be driving around looking for donations whilst clearing side roads! :lol:

After last winter I was seriously considering a Honda Quadike and snow plough attachment. I decided to buy a 4x4 on the basis that it would have a broader range of uses, communting in the area and generally safer for my family. The quadbike would have been seriously good though... i would have made an absolute killing in winter clearing driveways and footpaths in my town. to be honest I would have probably helped out for free because come february our council informed us the budget had been spent and all snow clearing and employing 3rd party contractors had ended!Luckily for us the cold temperatures were not prolonged towards spring so the snow melted alot faster. At present, there is about 1.5ft of snow and we are now forecast lows of -18. When cold hard frost gets into that snow it will be around for weeks on end and further snow only accumalates quicker ontop of frozen ice pack. I think I am slowly talking myself into a quadbike (also particularly useful for xmas tree shopping) lol....

Blue

Firstly, I must say I am LOVING the Rav so far. Great in the dry/wet and AMAZING in the snow!

Dropped my boss off a couple of hours back in around 18" to 2 feet of snow. Anyway, was fine dropping him off as road had been cleared a but needed to do a 3 point turn to get back out in the snow as deep as mentioned above. The car done it fine but there was a whining noise from the steering/front wheels (!?!) when turning and a funny smell. The whining noise went away as soon as I was back on the road, the smell around five minutes later. Anything to worry about?

I then failed at trying to get into my drive, again around 18" to 2 feet of soft snow with ice underneath. Should the car have gotten into my drive? Only had two attempts at it but was hoping it would be indestructable! HAHA

Honestly, 2ft of snow - I wouldn't be unhappy if my Rav didn't get through that! I think the clearance under the rav and low lying exhaust will let the car down in very deep stuff. Out of interest are you using a winter tyre?

I travelled up a fairly steep drive today approx 50m in about 18" snow and my Rav was excellent, managed a nice 3 point turn at the top, on a slope aswell very impressive! I think if the snows compacted or the frost has got in I may find it more difficult? I have noticed myloose underguard getting caught on deep snow but So far so good.... No need to crack open my new toughman metal spade from the boot ha ha

Blue