Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Disapointed With Their Auris Hsd

craigturner

Hi everyone I took delivery of a Auris HSD a month ago. We also have a corolla d4d which is great, but i'm far from impressed with the HSD.It's a T-Spirit model. In the brochure it says the doors are leather stiched, but they are cloth, I finally managed to get a toyota e-mail address to check if this was correct and was told this is because toyota europe feedback felt this was not required. no centre rear armrest either or rear cup holders for the kids, also because we had full map nav fitted the i-pod usb connection does not get fitted, how are you supposed to change tracks?

the most dissapointing element is the average mpg, the corolla does 46mpg easy whereas the HSD has not broken 50mpg sitting at 49mpg at the moment. so was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

I find it interesting the number of people who talk about mpg with hybrid cars. I still believe with existing technology a diesel engine will give better mpg than a hybrid. The main reason being the weight of the car. I thought the main reason for hybrid technology was emission related rather than just mpg and that is why car tax is based on CO2 not mpg figures.

It might be interesting to do a straw pole of owners and see why they chose hybrid over diesel and vica versa.

I find it interesting the number of people who talk about mpg with hybrid cars. I still believe with existing technology a diesel engine will give better mpg than a hybrid. The main reason being the weight of the car. I thought the main reason for hybrid technology was emission related rather than just mpg and that is why car tax is based on CO2 not mpg figures.

It might be interesting to do a straw pole of owners and see why they chose hybrid over diesel and vica versa.

Reasons for buying a Prius (gen2 in 2008 and gen3 2 months ago)

1) Fed up with the government (note the small 'g') stealing money from me for 'road tax'

2) fed up with same government stealing upwards of 70percent of my fuel bill in tax

3) I like technology and let's face it, Mr T's hybrids are technologically amazing (to me anyway)

4) Diesels still put out too much noxious particulates and smell!! (I'm biased - I just don't like diesels, Steam engines are so much more beautiful.... :thumbsup:)

Enough reasons??

:yahoo:

That's what I mean 50% of your reasons (1 & 4) are emissions based, 25% tech based and 25% mpg based. So mpg alone is not the real reason to buy a hybrid.

Because diesel's a filthy fuel fit only for taxis, trucks and tractors. I wouldn't entertain it.

That's what I mean 50% of your reasons (1 & 4) are emissions based, 25% tech based and 25% mpg based. So mpg alone is not the real reason to buy a hybrid.

Yes same here, anything would have been better than 18mpg ;-) Interior space and automatic were main drivers for us and bettering 18mpg. I like the way diesel drives but don't like the dirty hands. Our choice was between a discovery 4 hse and the prius iii.

I am really happy with my Auris HSD and I agree that fuel economy is not the only reason to buy a hybrid.

I bought it because:

I was intrigued by the technology but had never really considered the Prius.

I wanted a car with low emissions in order to do "my bit".

I wanted (and am getting) very good fuel economy, despite the lousy weather conditions (55-57 mpg, freezing cold in Norway, hills everywhere, winter tyres on, heater on all the time).

I enjoyed the test drive.

The options package was great.

The financial, insurance, and assistance package was excellent.

I get a real buzz out of driving silently and petrol-free on electric power in congested traffic and around the neighbourhood.

I will never, ever consider a diesel car.

• Like 1

The main reason I bought my Prius was it was the most economical Automatic I could find for my short urban commute. Compare any other automatic car with the prius and AFAIK, nothing touches it on economy. Fair enough, some diesels are more economical than the Hybrids but only the manual versions and only on extra urban. Theres also the added advantage of zero VED, the absolute ease of driving (the Gen 2 was voted THE easiest car to drive in one magazine survey) and the amazing technology.

If they had a hybrid Yaris I might have considered it (Although realistically I doubt I'd've been able to afford it until it was at least 5 more years, and then I'd be worried about the Battery packs!).

My main reason for going diesel (Rather than getting a petrol Yaris) was mostly cost reasons; I had been a bit bitter over being charged £180 tax on my old Fiesta (It was only a 1.3! :crybaby:) and only getting 180miles out of a tank worst-case (!?!), and with the spiralling fuel costs I thought I may as well.

I think it would be hard for me to go back now; This car has so much torque for such a light car that I can drive everywhere in town 4th gear or motorways in 5th for low-mid 60's mpg, or abuse the close ratios and high-revving engine to zoom about (Don't do that much tho', really kills the mpg! I almost dropped into the low 50's! :lol: :P).

I gather the hybrids have to be driven a lot more sensibly which I think I would have a hard time getting used to now :lol:

I gather the hybrids have to be driven a lot more sensibly which I think I would have a hard time getting used to now

Rubbish!!!!!!

Press the pwr switch and put your foot down and the comment i had was "hang on while i pick my head out of the back seat, b... Hell it was like take off in a jet, where did that come from"

And i'm sure that other Gen 3 owners will agree.... :thumbsup:

However, if you want a nice comfortable sedate ride that wont spill the beer, then the Prius can do that admirably too :yahoo:

Because diesel's a filthy fuel fit only for taxis, trucks and tractors. I wouldn't entertain it.

I object most strongly being included here. :crybaby:

Not all taxi drivers like the smoggy effects of even the latest diesels, hence there are a couple of enlighted cabbies on this forum.

Also, going back to topic. The hybrid system is significantly more economical than a diesel in town use and equal to or slightly better on A roads, which makes a hybrid an ideal taxi.

Want proof of my savings? Ask my accountant. I am saving thousands a year - literally!! Would I buy another hybrid? For sure. I don't think I could ever go back to diesel even if I wanted to, esp not with the cost running at about £1.26 a litre.

I'm happy with mine - on balance. I noticed the lack of leather on the doors also, but I'm not a leather fan anyway. Got the Spirit for the auto light/wipers/rear view camera.

These are not 'drivers' cars, not Clarksonesque. If you don't like the laid back driving style where these are at their best you should steer clear.

Diesels are probably more economical on rural drives, agreed. However, in London an auto is useful and many auto diesels don't have the blue efficiency engines.

Like the eco setting for snowy conditions - very useful. Not pleased with the aircon filter, whatever it is, cos I can get the car in front exhaust fumes up my hooter :angry:

You need to compare the Prius with AUTOMATIC diesels to get realistic mpg figures.

The reason I got the Prius was because it was a family sized automatic whch did great mpg and low tax/insurance/mtc and it was the cheapest and had lots of extras that I was looking for as standard. And the test drive was great.

Hi folks

having owned a Yreg yaris for the past three years, and been extreamly pleased with it. I decided to buy myself a 57 plate Auris, only to find a proplem with the front off side brakes,

where there's a terrific screech.on return to the dealership they changed the front brakes, and told me the noise was down to the compound material been used in manufacture.

I have been informed by a professional source, that most toyota's have anti screech shims fitted where mine does not!! as they are already built it to the brake system, am i destined to have to put up with this awfull noise. or can somebody please inlighten me on how to solve this proplem, yours forever greatfull in advance.

Buddies

can somebody please inlighten me on how to solve this proplem, yours forever greatfull in advance.

Have you tried asking in the Auris forum?

To be honest Craig id say 49 mpg is actually very good for whats effectively a 1.8 petrol (i think its a 1.8 thats in these)

Okay it is a hybrid - but to be fair i reckon youd struggle to get more than 34 mpg from a normal

(non hybrid) 1.8.

Id be happy to beating the diesels average mpg to be honest - although 46 mpg out of a

modern diesel isn't blowing me away given how toublesome modern turbodiesels can be.

Red diesel

You need to compare the Prius with AUTOMATIC diesels to get realistic mpg figures.

The biggest annoying bugbear with the anti hybrid brigade when they start comparing diesels is they don't ever compare automatics and that's one of the main attractions for me as I find gear changing by shoving your foot on one lever while shoving another with your hand at the same time seems so antiquated that it's beyond belief and takes you back to the dawn of motoring.

To be honest Craig id say 49 mpg is actually very good for whats effectively a 1.8 petrol (i think its a 1.8 thats in these)

Yes, a 1.8 engine with a modified Atkinson cycle, apparently meaning the petrol engine has less power/torque than a regular Otto cycle engine, but it is more efficient. An electric motor is used to supplement the petrol engine when more power is needed e.g. accelerating and moving off smartly from a stand still.

The biggest annoying bugbear with the anti hybrid brigade when they start comparing diesels is they don't ever compare automatics and that's one of the main attractions for me......

Hear hear. The other bugbear is that they never compare on a like for like basis. The Prius is the same size as an Avensis! Why compare its mpg figures with a VW Polo bluemotion (which it still beats)? The Prius can carry 5 people in comfort and has a large boot and is an automatic. There isn't a comparable car that comes anywhere close to the mpg's and performance and even the cars that do get near its mpg's are usually the micro-minis such as VW Polo's or Toyota IQs.

My advice to anyone considering a Prius or Auris HSD is give them an extended test drive.

Given the Auris is smaller and probably lighter than the Prius, it should give slightly better mpg. In theory of course. Mine is averaging around 48 mpg driving around London on shortish journeys at the mo with heater, lights etc. My old A class would have been in the low 30's

I've been able to keep mine right on the 50.0 mpg for a while, until the snow hit. Then I'm finding the petrol engine comes on at the hint of throttle for the first 5 mins, and also in stop traffic if the engine is left to cool down too much. Probably a side effect of always having my auto climate control at 20.5 degrees (no aircon). I'm pretty happy with this tbh.

I was always looking for an automatic car so would always compare with auto diesels which are far from as economical as the manual variants.

The other thing I notice with the 'anti' Prius brigade is that they quote their mpg figures but rarely back them up. I could say my Prius gets 70 mpg - which it does (in summer on a long flat road) but my average in hard taxi use is 49 mpg over 36k miles. When someone can show me that they can match this in a similar sized car I'll be convinced, otherwise the Prius beats all other cars hands down.

The other taxi guy on here will also confirm the savings he makes by replacing his Skoda with a Prius. My savings almost cover the monthly payments for the car!

:)

Prius bashing is a popular pastime, very evident if you scour the web looking at various forums and yet you can bet that none of the posters have even sat in one let alone driven one and simply quote rubbish that their best mates sisters uncle Fred's brother in law told them because apparently he has driven one and it was a heap of crap that only did 25mpg whilst every car went past as you slowly crawled up a hill because the CTV belt was constantly slipping :rolleyes:

On saying that I'm shocked by our local Toyota reps seemingly lack of knowledge when I asked for a run in a 2006 spirit with him driving so I could concentrate on watching how the vehicle behaved and as we approached every set of lights and traffic islands( there were 6 sets one after another) he put it into B mode during the approach up to a stop where he promtly pushed the P button

When I asked why you had to put it in B he said it puts the vehicle into charge mode so the coasting energy isn't wasted. Also only one of them knew what pulse & glide meant & looked at me as if I'd made it up when I mentioned it

I'm still awaiting my 2008 spirit to arrive but in the meantime I've scoured the net to glean every bit of info as regards to driving techniques and obtaining higher mpg.

One of the first things I'll likely do is experiment with blocking part of the exterior radiator grill to keep the engine warmer whilst on the move, can improve winter mpg considerably according to N.American owners.

The other thing I notice with the 'anti' Prius brigade is that they quote their mpg figures but rarely back them up. I could say my Prius gets 70 mpg - which it does (in summer on a long flat road) but my average in hard taxi use is 49 mpg over 36k miles. When someone can show me that they can match this in a similar sized car I'll be convinced, otherwise the Prius beats all other cars hands down.

The other taxi guy on here will also confirm the savings he makes by replacing his Skoda with a Prius. My savings almost cover the monthly payments for the car!

:)

Ive never seen the diesel fans give comprehensive fuel figures like you have done, they also fail to mention rather important

details like how they had to spend a grand on the flywheel and another grand or 3 on turbos and injectors.

Best not mention the DPFs on new diesels :crybaby: . Car not suitable for urban driving says diesel car supplier :yawn:

Red diesel