Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Grumbles

cartoonist.ron

Hi All,

I've been a Toyota owner for almost 30 years (Crown, Corolla, Carina, Camry and now Avensis) and never had a problem replacing bulbs until now. I recently had to replace the offside side light, which was a bit tricky, but two days later the nearside front indicator lamp went. I struggled for over an hour, trying to get at the actual bulb, and eventually gave up. I rang my Toyota dealer in exasperation who, after agreeing that replacing the bulbs at the front end wasn't easy, agreed to do it for me free of charge. Has anybody else had this problem?

I can't understand how Toyota can make what should be a simple task so difficult. If you're travelling at night, and in the middle of nowhere when an essential bulb goes, it'll be almost impossible to replace it.

Also, the wind noise around the front passenger door is unbelievable when the speed is over 40mph, and makes you think that either the door or the window isn't properly closed.

Regards,

Ron

The light bulb problem is not exclusive to Toyota, it is endemic to most modern cars. In my Auris i am lucky as this is relatively easy and even the fog bulbs are accessible.

Wind noise for your front door... Well if this is a problem that manifested over time then I suggest you look at your door seals, look for sign of damage or door frame problem. If this has been the case from day 1 then i am afraid thats just poor aerodynamic design.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've been a Toyota owner for almost 30 years (Crown, Corolla, Carina, Camry and now Avensis) and never had a problem replacing bulbs until now. I recently had to replace the offside side light, which was a bit tricky, but two days later the nearside front indicator lamp went. I struggled for over an hour, trying to get at the actual bulb, and eventually gave up. I rang my Toyota dealer in exasperation who, after agreeing that replacing the bulbs at the front end wasn't easy, agreed to do it for me free of charge. Has anybody else had this problem?

I can't understand how Toyota can make what should be a simple task so difficult. If you're travelling at night, and in the middle of nowhere when an essential bulb goes, it'll be almost impossible to replace it.

Also, the wind noise around the front passenger door is unbelievable when the speed is over 40mph, and makes you think that either the door or the window isn't properly closed.

Regards,

Ron

Checkout a site called "SuperbrightLeds.com" Direct replacement (provided in the usual socket styles) LEDs last a LONG time, and have vivid color, not the washed out red and amber

created by a white bulb whrough a lens. They don't take much current or pruduce much heat either. They will upset bulb out indicators and thermal turn signal flashers

but a solid state flasher will cure the flasher problem , and a load resistor will keep the bulb out indicator off,.(So will a piece of black tape)

IN the US most traffic signals are now LED, and because of the heavy fines commercial truckers are levied for the slightest equipment failing, most over the road trucks have converted their signal lamps to leds.

Hi All,

Regards,

Ron

Checkout a site called "SuperbrightLeds.com" Direct replacement (provided in the usual socket styles) LEDs last a LONG time, and have vivid color, not the washed out red and amber

created by a white bulb whrough a lens. They don't take much current or pruduce much heat either. They will upset bulb out indicators and thermal turn signal flashers

but a solid state flasher will cure the flasher problem , and a load resistor will keep the bulb out indicator off,.(So will a piece of black tape)

IN the US most traffic signals are now LED, and because of the heavy fines commercial truckers are levied for the slightest equipment failing, most over the road trucks have converted their signal lamps to leds.

Be aware when fitting led bulbs that they can fail the mot test, my jaguar failed due to the light from the led being so bright they dont colour match the car so the fail was on wrong colour of bulb, i also believe that the bulbs have to have an eu or british mark of approval to be legal, despite the fact they look better and show up better and therefore should be safer.

Yes, replacing that bulb on Avensis was not easy for me either. I just could not get to it - my hand did not fit there. Luckily, my girlfriend managed to replace that bulb with her small, crafty hand :D

I have noticed noise at the drivers door which I thought was road noise which has me checking the windows. I suppose this is more noticeable because the rest of the cat is very quiet.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out both the LED option and whether or not they are legal in the UK. Got yet another problem with lights now - a bulb (led?) on the right hand side of the sat nav has now gone, leaving the display almost impossible to read in the day and difficult at night. My dealer tells me they will charge £48 an hour to remove the console. Does anyone know if the bulbs can be replaced individually or is this a complete sat nav replacement job?

Cheers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links