Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rising Temp Gauge

TSPORDIMSTER

Since the cold weathers been kicking in i've noticed my temp gauge rises to half way after approx 2 mins of driving plus when on the motorway it starts to rise all the way to the top if pushing the engine, then goes back half way when say doing 60 mph

Ive checked the expansion tank and everyday seems to be at the very bottom but it seems like the temp plays up more after refilling it

I tried putting hot water in to push out any trapped air but nothing changed - Heating has never really worked properly since owning the car for past two years so could this be part of the same problem?

Oil levels is fine, cant see any leaks coming from radiator but car is overdue a service

Thanks in advance for helpers

+1 thermostat also depending on mileage do a coolant change whilst you're at it with the thermostat :)

+1 thermostat also depending on mileage do a coolant change whilst you're at it with the thermostat :)

Right thermostat you guys say, I'm just searching the forums for fitting one of these and i beleive its an alternator out job is this the case or is there a way of doing it without messing with the alternator? Im a novice at repairs as you can tell :eek: so may just leave this for the garage to fit.

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated :thumbsup:

Over heating would firstly indicate a Thermostat issue, but a failed stat does not cause a loss of coolant as you describe, firstly ill assume you have checked the obvious for signs of water in oil etc, so given personal experience, check or get checked the Water pump, had mine replaced a year ago for exactly the same problem even though i could not see any signs of a leak, it must have been burning off somewhere.

Poor heat would also be as a result of loss of coolant, not neccessarily the entire cause, but it will not help.

Over heating would firstly indicate a Thermostat issue, but a failed stat does not cause a loss of coolant as you describe, firstly ill assume you have checked the obvious for signs of water in oil etc, so given personal experience, check or get checked the Water pump, had mine replaced a year ago for exactly the same problem even though i could not see any signs of a leak, it must have been burning off somewhere.

Poor heat would also be as a result of loss of coolant, not neccessarily the entire cause, but it will not help.

Thanks for your advice, How do i go about checking the water pump & what should i be looking out for etc?

I checked oil & looks ok - a bit dark but it's due a service now so will be down to that i think.

Its very confusing because it seems one day its fine and the next the temp guage is going up and down even when waters full.

You are lookiing for signs of a leak, check everywhere under engine bay, also check your foot wells are dry, particularly the passengers side to make sure the Matrix is not leaking.

Overheating and a loss of water means you have a leak somewhere, its just a case of finding it, if you cannot, then get it into a garage before you do some damage, with these temps outside at the moment i'd give it some urgency.

Dark oil, yes get that changed, it should be brown.