Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Pretty Good In The Snow And Ice

Hartside

You'll have no problem with the Kuhmo's avensis57tr. I have Kuhmo KW27's all round on my Golf at the moment and they are good in snow, ice, wet and dry. They are quiet and comfortable.

For the Yaris I've ordered Fulda Kristall Montero's which came in at £85 each including the steel wheel. Next day they were up in price significantly due to the bad weather etc. Just got to get delivery now :crybaby:

For anyone buying tyres only get a look on here: http://www.reifen.com/

I've used them in the past with no issues and they only charge 19 Euro to ship the tyres to the UK. With the Euro at 1.18 to the £, they are priced well

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hartside

• alfiejts

• avensis57tr

• aygoal

Thats good to know, think that kuhmo tyres like Toyo etc tend to be very highly rated by most users. Keeping fingers crossed that you get a delivery email soon, you'll have to let me know how long yours take to come and compare.

I gave up with the Yaris D4D early last winter as it wasn't safe on snow or ice. Then someone suggested winter tyres, I only got 2 at first it was then like a wonky shopping trolley to drive. I then got all 4 it transformed the car. I'm running Verdestin 3 snow and mud for the 2nd winter now. Very glad I got them put on last week I just use the standard alloys.

Vredestein Snowtrac 3 get a great write up by loads of people. They would have been my No1 choice for the Golf but they sold out early October and resupply was not anticipated until late January/Early Feb.

Well my mum has just had the call to say car is ready to collect as soon as we can get to sign paperwork :eek: 2 weeks early so car has arrived before the tyres lol, still should be a bit better than the avensis with 17" alloys which has only managed with mum driving about 5mph. Crossing fingers Mytyres can complete the order. I had also looked at Vredestein Snowtrac 3 but they are no longer listed assume all sold and they had gone upto £120 a piece.

Just had an email of mytyres to say the Kumho have all sold out and there is no stock :S have been offered some Kleber Krisalp HP 2 had a look at reviews and they seem quite good made by Michelin. Have accepted and phoned mytyres first operator hung up on me :( and second said that the order will be changed so who knows if I will actually get any tires.

Mytyres dropped me an e-mail on Friday to say they had cancelled my order. I'm not happy with them at all as in the week they have had the order and pratted around, stocks have gone to just about zero across Europe as a result of the German law passed last Monday. I think the other reason is that I ordered at a low price and they now know demand is pushing prices sky high! Not impressed at all! :angry:

Kleber Krisalp HP2 will be fine, they are a decent winter tyre, at least equal to the Kuhmo, if not better. I would say go with them

I had just the same issues this time last year trying to get mine.

Spent October trying to source four Michelin Alpin A3s from Costco, as they were a good price and they had a 25% off for four offer. Then after a month they said that Michelin UK were out of stock and didn't plan to bring any more in that year.

So I then went to ATS, who also had a 25% off 4 Michelins and they spent November trying to get me them.

In the end, I got four Goodyear Ultragrip from mytyres and even they took four weeks to ship across from Germany during the snow we had last December.

Finally got them fitted on Xmas Eve having spent three months on the job....

But - if you're still waiting for your tyres as Xmas approaches (as I was last year), here's a thought for what you could use your your spare winter wheels for until your tyres arrive....

dscf4782small.jpg

Excellent :thumbsup: I just need to get this one past my wife.......

Yes they do seem a bit slow in updating stock etc placed the order on wed and they took until sat to get in touch. Still we shall see if any tyres materialise, at least these are slightly cheaper and as you say should be better than the Kumho ones. Trouble is in the time they've taken you could have perhaps arranged some from somewhere else. If not will just have to be careful and buy some next summer. Out of interest does anyone know if these alloys will fit the Yaris http://www.pentagontoyotaparts.co.uk/corolla-and-verso-15-alloy-wheel-pz406-e0675-zc-i531.html could always use them as christmas decorations in the mean time :).

They look identical to the alloys I used for our winter tyres. They were for a Corolla.... The size and offset was identical to the standard 15" Yaris wheels....

Here's the proof they fit on a Yaris - thought I'd makde sure they fitted whilst I was waiting for the tyres to arrive and before I spent money getting the tyres fitted to the wheels...

dscf4716medium.jpg

They are exactly the same :thumbsup:, and they look really good better than the wheels that come with the tr :yes: . Thanks

A big thanks to alfiejts. :thumbsup: He sorted me out with a set of 15" steel wheels for my winter tyres. A pleasure dealing with him and a true gent! :thumbsup:

Half day holiday today and had 4 Hankook Ice Bear 440 winter tyres fitted to the steel rims. Summer tyres/alloys now stored away in the garage until the temps start getting above 7°C again. Tyre shop had 6 people in front of me and 3 behind. 90% were getting winters fitted to their cars, but most only buying for the drive wheels. Better than nothing I suppose, but it did leave me wondering a bit about how a guy in a 3 series BMW was going to go round corners

Better than nothing I suppose, but it did leave me wondering a bit about how a guy in a 3 series BMW was going to go round corners

Sideways of course..

As well as the Yaris, we also have a Peugeot 4007 4x4 & mine came with the optional 235 45 19" tyres. In 4wd lock mode traction was ok, but it was not great once moving!!!

While phoning round to get some steel wheels to put some all weather tyres on (no hope of full winter tyres!!) my local Peugeot dealer said they had a set of 16" alloys with 215 70 16" M+S tyres. In the summer they blinged their demo car putting 19" wheels on. It was the best £185 I have ever spent!!!!

The difference is incredible with great grip & steering feel. Annoyingly I only got them fitted the day all the snow started melting round by me, but I have a sneaking feeling we may see some more over the winter...... The 19" wheels will go back on in March.

I have just ordered some snowsocks from roofbox.co.uk for the Yaris. If we have any snow after they arrive, I'll let you know how they fare.

I just realized last month that I actually legally need winter tyres on my next-year trip to France and Germany. As most people already discovered, it was almost impossible to buy any winter tyres in UK. Luckliy I found a proper customer-focused garage where they had a last pair of winter rubber, mainly Pirelli Snowcontrol Serie II Winter 190. They only had 2 and fitted them on my Yaris' front axle straight away. The other 2 have been ordered directly by Pirelli manufacturing site and will arrive in next 2 weeks time, first thing in January. If this wouldn't arrive, I have a back option, ordering them from Poland warehouses with a delivery by UPS straight to my door (price almost the same).

Now I try to use my front Pirellis as little as possible so there is no uneven wear on all of them, both winter and summer tyres that I still have on the back.

The Autosocks are a good get you home alternative that are fairly easy to fit & allowed our yaris to get up our ice covered drive with no drama at all.

Tried my Pirellis Snowcontrol II during the last days of snow&ice chaos, and they work brilliantly. Can go on snowy road easily 30mph, needs to be careful in the corners though as my a** kicks out still with my summer tyres behind ;) The grip is magnificent, no drama, no loss of control over the vehicle, controllable steering and corrections. Worth every penny!

Yep, totally agree with you Sico2. Both my Golf and Yaris kitted out and no problems in the heavy snow. Yaris used today for work and our roads are atrocious, but no dramas at all. Gave a guy from work a lift home who had to leave his car on the drive today and he couldn't believe the grip, especially under braking. As you say, worth every penny!

After some serious driving round with the Autosocks, I can report that they do a brilliant job. The only downside is that they are only approved to 30mph so have to be removed once clear Tarmac is reached.

For the cost I would have no hesitation in recommending them. They give the Yaris the ability of my 4x4 with M+S tyres fitted. In fact under braking the Yaris is better.

Right then - thanks for that advice - two sets of Auto Socks ordered for the Yaris and the A3.

Found myself sliding sideways yesterday whilst almost stationary in the town centre - down the camber of the road towards the side of a parked van that I was already alongside....

I don't mean that I wass "drifting sideways in a skid", I was still pointed straight down the road ahead, but the car wss sliding to the left down the camber of the road towards the kerbside as I was pointing straight forwards and movong slowly forwards....

Yeah, I can see why that'd be a bit disconcerting :lol:

I wonder if the 4WD on Japanese Yarissesses is retrofittable :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links