Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bad Gear Selection

redrob

Hi Charlie,

I've also looked at Castrol's descriptions of their Syntrans B75W and FE75W. Both appear to be for regular 5-speed boxes (from two vehicle manufacturer groups), but make no mention of being designed for MANUAL TRANSAXLES, which is what our RAVs have. Our transaxle contains not only the 5-speed box, but also the hypoid differential for the front wheel drive. (The separate transfer box takes the drive off to the rear wheels.)

Hypoid (diff) drives are subjected to huge 'spot' pressures between their crownwheels and pinions, and they normally require EP (extreme pressure) additives to keep metal from metal.

It's possible that the B75W and FE75W oils have this quality, but you'd have to ask Castrol (who are pretty helpful on the phone, I remember).

BUT, they also list, in their downloadable pdf catalogue: Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90, which is specifically designed for transaxle use.

I'm going to try this first, even though it reads 75W-90. I've used Syntrans before, and it's good. It will be a couple of weeks, though, before I can put it in the RAV.

Chris

some times ago i found a Castrol indication about Syntrans B75W:

"Castrol Syntrans 75W-85, Castrol Syntrans M and Castrol Syntrans B are NOT recommended or suitable for engines, hypoid differentials or transaxles that contain hypoid differentials."

it was, if I'm not wrong , in a technical doc from Castrol Australia, and Castrol european site doesn't mention it.. but so, I'm not sure if the B 75W its ok for Rav4 awd

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• redrob

• anchorman

• Craig Simpson

• CharlieFarlie

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links