Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fast Idle Speed On D4D

peterat8

Hi there

Have searched the forums before posting but not really found anything along the lines of my problem. Sorry if I have missed it and am repeating.

Have a 2010 XTR D4D Rav (old shape - much nicer IMO than new one).

It has been a fine buy. Very pleased with it. Pulls the caravan with ease and a great solo drive. Really comfortable for my wife and easy to get in and out of.

Anyway to the problem. In the last few days it has started to misbehave (naughty Rav).

It drives fine. No loss of acceleration or any other travelling problem. However when I come to a stop (say at lights or a junction) the tick over drops to just below 1000 as per normal, but it then slowly starts to rise and settles around 1200rpm (on the tacho). It is as though the cold start system is still running, even though the temp gauge is virtually up to normal.

Have contacted the local Mr T, but no one in until Monday in the service dept. Chap I spoke to said it will be fine to drive. Don't worry. Rather than cause any damage before the festive season, have I a serious problem developing and if not, is it still ok to drive without causing any major problem?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter

As John has pointed out its all down to the heating system and its all normal. You will find that if you turn it off the idling will settle down but then go off on one again when you switch it back on.

It has been programmed that way to deal with the load on the alternator and prevent labouring on the cold engine. It won't stop doing it until the engine is really hot - maybe up to an hour and it may even keep doing it for longer if the outside temp is really low.

Don't worry!

Yeah, mine is the same (linked thread above). Seems it's just to warm the engine up quicker. It settles to normal once the needle is about half way. It takes a he'll of a long tome to get warm, 20-25min ony way to work. Testament to the thermal efficiency of the engine, coupled with the heat produced being directed into the cabin!

Keep us posted with what mr T has to say, if it is a problem, I am in the same position!!!

Hi there

Thanks John and Anchs for the replies.

Had not found that topic. The search did not bring it up.

Glad it seems to be normal (!!).

Best forum in the world for help and putting ones mind at rest.

Thanks again.

Peter

Hi Benxt5

Sorry I missed your post.

Thanks for the reply.

Probably will miss Mr T out now after the replies from John and Anchs.

See how things go on Monday. If I am passing then will call in and get their view but should imagine it will be the same as the knowledgeable replies here.

Thanks.

Peter

If I am passing then will call in and get their view but should imagine it will be the same as the knowledgeable replies here.

Don't bank on that Peter, they will probably treat you like you are from Venus for even suggesting it. Your best bet is to see what happens if you turn the heater off - you need to let it get about a quarter of the way up to normal before you can tell it is slowing down to normal.

Hi again

Will do as you suggest Anchs. Appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Peter

Mine still ticks over high with the heater and stereo switched off (I tried the theory yesterday on the way to work (-2c) on the dash). Behaved exactly the same today (went to Good Food Show at NEC) but as it was a longer journey and a long time queueing to get in, I had lots of time to look at the tick over and in the 30min crawl to the car park it sat perfectly at about 750rpm each time.

It only seems to settle properly once fully warm regardless of what is on or off.

Mine behaves exactly the same. Will start up, idle around 1000rpm, then rise almost immediately to around 1250rpm and stay at this until really warm, ie, approx 30 mins driving and then idle as normal. It doesnt affect the driving of the car.

My only gripe is that i have a fairly loud "diesel knock" from the top of the engine for about 5 minutes, sounds like a bag of broken bottles. It did this in the summer as well but at around 2200rpm but its louder now and lower down the rev range.

The car heats up in the heater compartment reasonably fast. Really pleased at how it handles the snow too, nearly 6 inches here today and it didnt miss a beat.

Hi there

Just to report - when heater working turned off air con and idle settled to normal.

Thanks for all the help.

Peter

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links