Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Throttle Just Jammed Open

Daveyonthemove

I've just had a bit of a scare in my car as it suddenly took off in 3rd gear on me.

Thankfully i was on a completely empty road and was able to avoid any accident, but it has put the scare's up me a bit.

Initially i hit the clutch and the revs went around to 5k rpm instantly so i let off the clutch and the car lurched forward again, forcing me to kill the engine with the key.

When i restarted it was fine, so i pressed the throttle again to test it, and it went round to the red line again.

I have managed to park the car up for the night (i was only 50 metres away from my destination at the time) and its staying there now.

Has anybody else had this issue, and know what i should do about it? Clearly the car isn't fit to drive at the moment especially in the current weather.

I was only told last weekend that my car had already had the 'pedal recall' so i never expected this to be an issue.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Dave

Sorry to hear that.

Havent you only just got the car?

I would throw the car back in Toyota's face if that is the case, especially if they claim that the pedal was already replaced under the recall.

Glad at least you are not injured in the event.

Yes, i have had the car just over 2 weeks.

It was booked in to the dealers for next wednesday to get a few things looked at, one of which is a slight stutter at 1,200rpm when the engine is up to temp.

I intend to get Toyota to fix it ASAP, but not sure if there is an official call centre to ring, or if i should just contact the dealer, and do i get them to collect the car?

I'm not keen on driving it now as that could have easily ended in an accident.

I seem to be cursed with cars lately :crybaby:

Davey,

Seriously this is not a matter for jokes.

I would turn up to your dealer and put the keys on the table and demand either a different car or a refund if they are not able to fix it there and then. There has to be legal implications in this somewhere and whomever did the recall fix has to be liable for anything that happens to you in this car, the safety issue here is life/death. With all the negative press and lawsuits involved regarding this I cannot believe they can let a car on the road AFTER THE RECALL WAS APPLIED and still suffer from the problem.

I would refuse the car personally and this should be plenty ground to be valid.

As per the official statement regarding the pedal problem, this number was available to be called (0800 1388744), not sure if it is still alive but worth a try and arm yourself with approaching them and let them know how you feel then go to the dealer where you got it from and tell them to fix it or refund NOW.

Sorry, who was joking??

I'm fully aware of the potential risk to life with this issue, which is why i stated that i am not prepared to drive the car to the dealers (15 miles away).

If i was to turn up to the dealer that i bought the car from, i would have 2 issues. Firstly, i bought it from a Peugeot dealer, not a Toyota dealer, so they would be unlikely to have a fix for this problem there and then.

Secondly, I'm in Oxford and the dealer is in North wales, so there is no chance i'm driving 150 miles with this issue.

I'll give Toyota a call tomorrow (thanks for the number) and see what they say, and hopefully get this issue resolved once and for all.

As long as the issue is fixed prior to the Xmas period (when i will have my 3 yr old in the car with me) then i'm not going to start making a fuss about rejecting the car, as i have been down this road before with my past vehicle and it got nasty. I like the car, and Toyota are aware of the problem and have put recalls in place, so i'm confident it will be fixed.

Sorry, who was joking??

I'm fully aware of the potential risk to life with this issue, which is why i stated that i am not prepared to drive the car to the dealers (15 miles away).

If i was to turn up to the dealer that i bought the car from, i would have 2 issues. Firstly, i bought it from a Peugeot dealer, not a Toyota dealer, so they would be unlikely to have a fix for this problem there and then.

Secondly, I'm in Oxford and the dealer is in North wales, so there is no chance i'm driving 150 miles with this issue.

I'll give Toyota a call tomorrow (thanks for the number) and see what they say, and hopefully get this issue resolved once and for all.

As long as the issue is fixed prior to the Xmas period (when i will have my 3 yr old in the car with me) then i'm not going to start making a fuss about rejecting the car, as i have been down this road before with my past vehicle and it got nasty. I like the car, and Toyota are aware of the problem and have put recalls in place, so i'm confident it will be fixed.

hi

there has been a few cases where floor mats have caused throttle problems,have you fitted mats without the retaining clips.if thats not the case then take car or get it collected by any toyota dealer.the last thing toyota will wont is bad publicity over the throttle issue.kick up a stink about this problem.if you have no joy,tell them youll go national about it.that will put the cat amongst the pigions.

The car came with mats fitted, so i will check their position when i next go outside.

If it is the mats then at least i will know what the issue is and remove them for the time being.

:thumbsup:

Top marks to Pajjy :thumbsup:

Just been to the car and pushed the throttle down by hand (engine off) and sure enough, the bottom of the pedal got caught under the edge of the car mat.

I had a look at the position of the mat and it was quite a way forward of the anchoring points, so i removed the mat and had a quick look at the clips.

IMAG0134.jpg

As you can see, both of them are broken, so pretty much useless!

So i would advise all Auris drivers to have a quick look at the clips on their drivers side car mats and ensure they aren't broken.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice in this thread, its good to have support when you have a potentially dangerous problem.

:)

Noticed a few people coming on here reporting this (not just with the Auris) and it turning out to be floor mat getting caught

Glad you've sorted it :thumbsup:

Just been to the car and pushed the throttle down by hand (engine off) and sure enough, the bottom of the pedal got caught under the edge of the car mat.

I had a look at the position of the mat and it was quite a way forward of the anchoring points, so i removed the mat and had a quick look at the clips.

IMAG0134.jpg

So i would advise all Auris drivers to have a quick look at the clips on their drivers side car mats and ensure they aren't broken.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice in this thread, its good to have support when you have a potentially dangerous problem.

I drilled a small hole through my clips and the floor and used 2 x long self tapping screws to retain our clips, 2 years later all if fine no problems at all

That's not a bad idea. I have been brainstorming on how to improve them and that could be the answer.

I'll see if the clips are any better when i have them replaced on wednesday.

What are the odds of them being replaced under warranty?? I suppose it's cheaper than a law suit for a crashed car.

That's not a bad idea. I have been brainstorming on how to improve them and that could be the answer.

I'll see if the clips are any better when i have them replaced on wednesday.

What are the odds of them being replaced under warranty?? I suppose it's cheaper than a law suit for a crashed car.

Mine where a brand new set of mats with clips and they was still useless, maybe Toyota should take a look at what Honda do with a small metal bracket that is bolted down and does keep the mat in place.

IMAG0134.jpg

glad yor problems solved.i fitted rubber mats to my aueis,as they wear better and and can get a bit muddy if been fishing and easy to clean too.they were brought on eBay,just put holes in them for the clips.but they dont slip as easy as cloth ones anyway.but it pays to check now and again to see they have not moved.

I forgot to mention that i emailed Toyota the same night i had the original problem, but forgot about it as the problem was identified, but i had a call this afternoon from the customer relations team.

The woman on the phone was extremely helpful and was willing to organise a recovery vehicle to get my car to the nearest dealer for me, however i explained the mat situation and that the car was booked into the dealers on wednesday for other issues, and she immediately offered to contact the dealer on my behalf and instruct them to replace the clips free of charge, and has emailed me a covering note to clarify this.

OK, the clips are small and probably quite cheap, but that level of service goes a long way over a relatively small problem, and i'm quite impressed with the way it was handled, and would have been handled if it had turned out to be a faulty pedal.

I guess i'm not used to dealers actually caring... :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention that i emailed Toyota the same night i had the original problem, but forgot about it as the problem was identified, but i had a call this afternoon from the customer relations team.

The woman on the phone was extremely helpful and was willing to organise a recovery vehicle to get my car to the nearest dealer for me, however i explained the mat situation and that the car was booked into the dealers on wednesday for other issues, and she immediately offered to contact the dealer on my behalf and instruct them to replace the clips free of charge, and has emailed me a covering note to clarify this.

OK, the clips are small and probably quite cheap, but that level of service goes a long way over a relatively small problem, and i'm quite impressed with the way it was handled, and would have been handled if it had turned out to be a faulty pedal.

I guess i'm not used to dealers actually caring... :thumbsup:

great result.

No problem :thumbsup:

Well the car has just returned from the dealers, and i'm impressed with the service from them.

As promised, they replaced the broken mat clips free of charge, and fixed 2 of the 3 other issues i had, so i'm happy with them and will go back to them next time my car needs work from a dealer.

Hi Dave, A lot of people know Toyota have taken a lot of stick in the last 12month for car recalls etc but I for one am very impressed by how Toyota handled this and have found that 90% of the time that they are the best dealer I have ever dealt with for sure. The worst dealer I ever dealt with was a Subaru dealer that went bang around 18months ago to which I found no surprise http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.98.htm and that to my shock the main Mercedes dealer where nearly as bad and have also now shut up shop. When I owned the mercedes I soon realised the car was full of bad design common failure pars that were on the 3rd or 4th upgraded parts yet Mercedes will not recall the cars and just lets you pay for their design faults unlike Toyota.

The list of bad design faults include.

1. Steering column, I had one replaced and within 2000 miles it was needing replacement again and that had play in within 10k these cost around £800 fitted

2. Rear radius arm bushes wanted replacing at 35k this is very common and to be honest they used to last longer on a metro!

3. Rear springs snapped at 50k when replaced at my cost I found out they was on the 4th part revision and this is very common.

4. Front drop links replaced at 40k and again this is common.

5. Play in steering rack at 40k Mercedes offered half price repair as gesture of good will but cost was still £1400 and this was half price :(

6. Leaking diesel it soon became clear this is due to bad design of injector fitting / retaining and was very common across the Mercedes range that shared the same engine, and was told by a mechanic who worked for Mercedes that normally they fit a brand new engine at £3500 to solve this as it works out cheaper than spending 20hours plus to get injectors out to solve the problem.

List of bad workmanship by Mercedes dealer and yes a genuine Mercedes dealer and no point complaining to head office as the main dealer is always right even through you offer to take the car to another main dealer for a 2nd opinion.

1. Changed steering column twice and both times failed to refit the steering wheel in the correct straight position and this was a long way out on both times.

2. Changed radius arm bushes and failed to tighten rear brake pipe line up correctly resulting in a brake fluid leak that I spotted in the garage and repaired my self to save the hassle.

3. Damaged my steering wheel by taking a chunk out of it when fitting the steering columns but 100% refused to repair.

4. Drawn all over the dash with a pen when pressing the buttons to get the current mileage, I never got this off and again denied they did it.

5. Washed my car on a 30c + day and left some sort of chemical they wash the cars with on the mat black sunroof in the sun, this burnt into the paint and even after using compoud I never got this out and yes again they denied it.

5. Booked the car in with Tracey on reception and took the car on the day, was later given a talking to by the manager as I was expecting work done on my car then I should book it in. It appears Tracy likes her nails more than her job in my opinion.

So yes no matter what Toyota do a good job and do seem to care and when things go wrong they sort it at their cost not mine so in my opinion keep up the good work, I did find that I had less warranty niggles with my old Civic Type R but the dealer was not as helpful by far and this is why when we buy another car it will be 50/50 between Honda and Toyota as yes I thing the Honda was better but was also let down by the dealer where we have had more faults with the Toyota (mainly cosmetic niggles) apart from disappointed with MPG we was led to believe we would get but the dealer service and help is 100% better. I will also add that with Toyota we always get a courtesy car were at Honda and Mercedes it was we don't have any.

I also think that Toyota got a lot of bad press from the states for political reasons as they are now the worlds biggest car manufacture in front of GM and the US government who gave Toyota a lot of bad press was bailing out / taking a large share of GM at the time and that it is also fact that in the last 10years Detroit has had more recalls than cars they have sold but there was no mention of this when the mud was throwing.

Rick I'm sorry I cannot agree with you.

You're making of Toyota a good manufacter just based on your bad experience with other brands such as Mercedes.

I think we should define two points here:

- Define Toyota in the manufacters world by comparison (which you've made)

- Define Toyota by what should really be

What you've said by other words is that Toyota is less bad, not that is is better, because you've compared a whole manufacter with two experiences, specially one with a Mercedes (which is really a shame it's bad!)!

It may be better, but only in comparison, because it is far away from being for example what it was, and this would be a fair comparison since Toyota was once upon a time an excelent manufacter, and now makes things that god I wish I knew two years ago (23000€ before my Auris...).

Better not mention the problems of my Auris, and what Toyota claims to say about them (imagine your whole suspension is bad, they claim is normal. You let your car in a dealer to replace the steering column, it is returned without some pieces (yes...), imagine you find a problem, they change the part that's causing it, and after some time the same thing comes up...

This is what is happening to most of the Auris (at least) nowadays, including the brand new restyling...

So Toyota ain't no better at all, may be not as bad as some others, plus the media speculation...

Rick I'm sorry I cannot agree with you.

You're making of Toyota a good manufacter just based on your bad experience with other brands such as Mercedes.

I think we should define two points here:

- Define Toyota in the manufacters world by comparison (which you've made)

- Define Toyota by what should really be

What you've said by other words is that Toyota is less bad, not that is is better, because you've compared a whole manufacter with two experiences, specially one with a Mercedes (which is really a shame it's bad!)!

It may be better, but only in comparison, because it is far away from being for example what it was, and this would be a fair comparison since Toyota was once upon a time an excelent manufacter, and now makes things that god I wish I knew two years ago (23000€ before my Auris...).

Better not mention the problems of my Auris, and what Toyota claims to say about them (imagine your whole suspension is bad, they claim is normal. You let your car in a dealer to replace the steering column, it is returned without some pieces (yes...), imagine you find a problem, they change the part that's causing it, and after some time the same thing comes up...

This is what is happening to most of the Auris (at least) nowadays, including the brand new restyling...

So Toyota ain't no better at all, may be not as bad as some others, plus the media speculation...

Here goes http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-Car-Manufacturers http://www.theweeklydriver.com/total-recall-ford-leads-dubious-auto-list/, now the Mercedes A170 Avantgarde with semi automatic clutch was around £21k new in 2001, our Auris T180 was around £19k in 2007 as for sure with inflation over the 6 years the Mercedes would be around £5k more yet even through it was nicely finished and a very clever design was also full of bad design faults like a steering column that converts LHD to RHD using around 3 universal joints and this is the reason for them always need replacing due to play when in reality the steering rack should have been rotated. We have had not one mechanical problem with the T180 and the only problems have been cosmetic imperfections that most people would not even bother with while the ride is fine, yes its not as good as a Mercedes C class but it does not cost anywhere near as much as well. The main thing wrong with the Auris is the interior but an accountant somewhere decided on market price and crunched his numbers there like many other manufacturers in the family car sector do and in my opinion is no worse than any other, my mate has an 2007 306 and I can assure you that interior is a lot more basic and made for a lot less money.

My point is I have found Toyota dealers to be very helpful and willing to put things right at no cost to us and I will point out again that my faults were very small and me being very particular cosmetic finish problems but then again these still cost money to repair where as when I have owned other brand cars and even a premium brand like Mercedes I was expected to pay for there design or cosmetic manufacturing faults unlike Toyota and was never offered a curtsey car when they did this. I will also add that at the end of the day you can spend £100k on a brand new Ferrari and it can break down after less than a mile the proof is in how the dealer looks after you and sorts the problem and Toyota in my experience are one of the better dealers.

A mate of mine had a brand new 2004 Boro and after 6 months the car locked him out and no matter what he did he could not get in, over the next 3 years it did this between every 3-6 months and every time the dealer said they could not find a problem or it was fixed but as soon as the warranty run out they said they had found the problem and the car needed a new wiring loom at a cost of £2000 which he had to pay. Needless to say he did not buy another VW.

Now why is it that manufacturers like Honda, Toyota who mostly make family hatchbacks at a budget price can make more reliable cars than a premium brand like Mercedes? http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Japanese-Cars-Prove-To-Be-The-Most-Reliable-Car-Manufacturers-In-A-Survey-By-What-Car-Magazine/Article/201007115658316?f=rss well from what I learned from my Mercedes ownership is that since Chrysler bought into Mercedes in the late 90's there quality control went down like a lead balloon http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/030602.html

she immediately offered to contact the dealer on my behalf and instruct them to replace the clips free of charge,

Interesting to hear, I approached my local dealer when I needed a replacement set of clips for the Yaris & was told that they are not available as a seperate item & only came complete with mats

Maybe you need to scare them with a possible law suit by informing them that your throttle stuck open as a result of their failure?

she immediately offered to contact the dealer on my behalf and instruct them to replace the clips free of charge,

Interesting to hear, I approached my local dealer when I needed a replacement set of clips for the Yaris & was told that they are not available as a seperate item & only came complete with mats

the clips are available seperate from the mats.ive brought them on their own.kingo a while back quoted a price for them.