Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 56 Plate Poor Starting

Gods_gift

Hi All

Been having some issues with our trusty Rav4 in regards to poor starting been trying various things but running out of ideas...

Syptoms: engine when cold turns on the key and cranks for 5 seconds and doesnt fire (used to be almost instant). 5 seconds doesn't sound long until u count it. Sometimes it will crank and crank and not start until either I apply my work around or the Battery goes flat. No warning light on dash at all. See below for what ive done so far...

Items replaced: Battery and fuel filter replaced, glow plugs checked an working.

Partial work around: quarter to half throttle applied when cranking to make her fire up.

Anyideas?

Cheers

Simon

Pump thed plunger on top of the fuel filter - it should go hard within a couple of pumps. If not, the fuel is running back. Are you getting 12v to the glow plug bus bar and if you ar I might be tempted to take them out and check the resistance again. Does it run OK when it starts?

Got 12v on bus bar, what did you mean by plunger on fuel filter?

Have a look in the pinned section. The 4.2 filter is the same as the 4.3 and you will see there is a primer on top. You need to check that the fuel isn't running back to the tank and you are having to pump it back up with the starter.

• 3 weeks later...

Right this is still being a pain in the bum an today I think I've flooded her! Anchorman how hard should that plunger go, i pumped it with my thumb until it went firm ish, but couldnt get it to go solid.

check your glow plugs i had 3 gone on mine ! and its just 3 years old now !

Checked them and they seem fine. It seems more fuel pressure related as you give it quarter throttle while cranking an normally it fires which it wouldnt if the plugs werent hot enough...

Anyideas how to check fuel pressure? Is there a pressure warning sensor if it drops too low or to high?

I doubt it is fuel pressure. The plunger on the filter just goes firm, not solid.

How have you checked the glow plugs? Try leaving the ignition on for 30 seconds before starting.