Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Window Wind Deflectors

allenco

Anyone had any experience on fitting and using the wind deflectors that fit on the windows.

I have them fitted on my vw camper and enable you to drive with the windows open a little .

Regards

Gerry

NB am snowed in my house half way up a Welsh mountain.We have a foot of frozen snow all the way along our half mile track !

Yes I have the Toyota IQ ones. they are easy to fit, just 2 plactic clips on each defector with stick on tape on the deflectors, just take care before you stick the deflector to the window frame that it is aligned properly, as you wont get a second chance

mr ben

i got mine on ebay not toyota ones easy to fit ,easy to take on and of if you want to.

do you get any wind noise with them when fitted.

I have the Toyota ones too. Easy to fit, but you have to put them right at once. Not more wind noise then without, but now you're able to open and close the window, when you're doing more than 60 mph.

• 3 weeks later...

Im after some too. Looked on eBay and there seem to be 3 choices:

• Original Toyota
  • Heko
  • Farad

The original brand deflector is three times the price of the other two...

I havent yet decided which to go for, but if the quality of the original deflectors is anything like the quality of the original floor mats I would be getting a much better product by going for the cheaper copy.

Has anyone got the Heko or Ferad already and can comment on the quality?

FWIW Only experience I have had is with similar items for motorhome and if the plastic mouldings are anything like the supply of plastic headlight protectors, the seem to come out of the same mould and then have the sellers name added !

Rgds

• 2 weeks later...

I have had heko ones on the yaris and they are perfect do I would say heko all the way

I went for the Heko ones and they just arrived (from Germany). I will try to fit them tomorrow and let you know how I got on.

There is very little sticky tape on it, seems it is mostly held in by the tight fit alone. According to the instructions, you wind down the windows and clean the inside of the rubbers then peal off the stickers and whilst bending it slide it in to place. Seems simple enough to install, but Im a bit worried about the bending it bit

Instructions say 'If you aren’t sure how to install our wind deflector – contact your mechanic', but I dont see how that would help. I can break the first set and buy another and it will still be chaper than buying the IQ own brand ones :D

I would personally wait until the temperature goes up somewhat before attempting to fit. Could possible help the adhesion and the flexibility for bending them to position. :yes:

Heko wind deflectors (fitting)

I started on the passenger door first and it went very smoothly. It was easy to bend them in to place (no force needed) and the moulding was almost exactly the shape of the car so I don’t think it even needed the sticky tabs.

Moving on to the drivers side I hit problems: The moulding did not fit as well as the passenger side did and it was necessary to push the moulding in to its position and hold it until the sticky tabs could take the strain. After a few seconds they popped out again.

Im not sure if this is a manufacturing defect or it is normal that all the strain is on the sticky tabs. Seems a bit weird that the passenger side fitted so well and drivers side doesn’t.

Shut the windows to leave it to dry (as advised in the instructions) and discovered that what was warned about in the fitting instructions appears to apply to the IQ. If you hold the button so the window auto closes fully the window sensor thinks there is an obstruction and opens the window again. By tapping the button I managed to close the windows fully.

I will now wait until tomorrow and see if opening the window makes the drivers side pop out of place again (I suspect it will). Will also have to see how the whole opening and closing of the windows is affected. If it keeps opening the windows when I want to shut them I might just chuck these in the bin as I bet that’s going to get very annoying (imagine it happening in heavy rain for example). This may be the reason the original toyota deflectors fit to the outside and so cost more.

Link to Heko fitting instructions if interested: PDF Instructions

Edit:

Have now found the official Heko fitting video and they use some kind of clip (Step 10,11,12). I didnt get any of these with my kit, has anyone else got these on an IQ and can remember if they had clips or not?

Not an IQ but I fitted a front set to a Vaux. Meriva a couple of years ago and clips were supplied with those. They are not shown in the PDF though. I seem to remember receiving an Eternalcar PDf at the time (purchsed the Heko deflectors on Ebay)and that did show the clips. Maybe they are not universally necessary?

MINE HAS NO CLIPS JUST STICKY PADS AFTER ABOUT 4 MONTHS THEY COME UNSTUCK, AT THE MOMENT I GOT ONE ON AND ONE OF ,I NEED TO REPLACE THE PADS

hi

i have a pair of clim-air's on my Rav and they're still rock solid after 5 years and they're just an adhesive job. I've a pair of original toyota ones to go on the IQ , but i'm going to wait until at least the spring to put them on , the adhesive wont take in this weather, unless you're in a heated garage.

MINE HAS NO CLIPS JUST STICKY PADS AFTER ABOUT 4 MONTHS THEY COME UNSTUCK, AT THE MOMENT I GOT ONE ON AND ONE OF ,I NEED TO REPLACE THE PADS

I contacted the people that sold me the kit and asked if there should have been some clips in the pack or not and mentioned one side didnt fit very well. They didnt confirm or deny there should have been clips, just replied that they are sorry and are sending me some.

Thats progress, I guess :huh:

I also sent an email to Heko, but I dont even know if they will reply to english language queries.

Edit:

No reply from Heko yet. Im going to leave the windows closed for a few more days so it has a fair chance of sticking properly

Update:

This was the reply I got from HEKO

Hello,

Yes, you are right - you don`t need clips to instal deflectors. Deflectors for this model of car should fit without clips.

Best regards

Piotr Glogowski

HEKO

I received my 'missing' clips the same day as the email :blink:

Update 2:

Left the windows closed for over a week and opened them again for the first time this morning. Seems to have stuck on OK and I am able to open and close the windows without it thinking there is an obstructions and opening by itself again (I didnt use any of the clips that I was sent).

• 1 month later...

I contacted the people that sold me the kit and asked if there should have been some clips in the pack or not and mentioned one side didnt fit very well. They didnt confirm or deny there should have been clips, just replied that they are sorry and are sending me some.

Thats progress, I guess :huh:

I also sent an email to Heko, but I dont even know if they will reply to english language queries.

Edit:

No reply from Heko yet. Im going to leave the windows closed for a few more days so it has a fair chance of sticking properly

Update:

This was the reply I got from HEKO

Hello,

Yes, you are right - you don`t need clips to instal deflectors. Deflectors for this model of car should fit without clips.

Best regards

Piotr Glogowski

HEKO

I received my 'missing' clips the same day as the email :blink:

Update 2:

Left the windows closed for over a week and opened them again for the first time this morning. Seems to have stuck on OK and I am able to open and close the windows without it thinking there is an obstructions and opening by itself again (I didnt use any of the clips that I was sent).

I have ordered the Toyota ones from Yeomans. I presume they are Toyota's own brand. Not sure how they fit though, but I hope they are of good quality, especially at the price I paid.

Hi...finally got round to fitting my genuine Toyota window wind deflectors...took a total of 10 minutes for both sides.

Able now to drive with windows slightly open without awful drumming noise.

Regards

Gerry

Cold weather application can cause a problem with the adhesion on the tape. Be sure that the area is very clean before sticking the window deflectors on. If the tape becomes loose at some point in the future 3M makes a great double sided tape that will hold through anything. I used it to hold the fiberglass wing on my xB and it's been there for three years.

Hi...finally got round to fitting my genuine Toyota window wind deflectors...took a total of 10 minutes for both sides.

Regards

Gerry

Received my ones today. They are original ones and come with 4 clips and are self adhesive. Notice they also have a little iQ Badge on them.

The dealer I purchased my iQ from fitted them for free. They look really good and suite the car perfectly.

• 4 months later...

My driver's side Heko wind deflector recently fell off in the hot weather (glue melted I think).

Tried to refit it and only now seen that its been rubbing on the windows and is worn away at both ends...

Looking for alternatives, might go for the originals they are £60 + 6pnp on eBay at the moment. Is that a good price?

Anyone had any experience on fitting and using the wind deflectors that fit on the windows.

I have them fitted on my vw camper and enable you to drive with the windows open a little .

Regards

Gerry

NB am snowed in my house half way up a Welsh mountain.We have a foot of frozen snow all the way along our half mile track !

I had the official Toyota ones fitted by the garage. It can be pouring outside and the window can be opened a reasonable anount.

i fitted toyota original son mine, they're really godd quality, get a quote from a toyota dealer , i dont think there's much difference to what you had on eBay. and they wont get damaged in the post from the dealer

Regards

Gerry

Ive now got my original Toyota wind deflectors, but the instructions look really complicated...

You need to use a heat gun? Havent got one, but maybe a hair dryer will do? Doesnt help me as I live in a 2nd floor flat...

I wish someone had warned me how complicated these are to fit. It says 15mins fitting on the first page, but Ive already spent over 30mins just trying to work out what all the steps mean :wacko: