Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Chains Or Socks

Chippy01

OK. Let me start off by stating that that I have read all the threads here, and on PriusChat, about winter driving.

What I need to know, preferably from actual users, is the similarities/differences and benefits of using either snow socks or snow chains on my '07 Gen II Prius T-Spirit.

In the village where I live, when I leave my drive, if I turn right I am going up a fairly steep hill.

If I turn left, I go down this steep hill to a bridge over a river, only to ascend up a slightly steeper hill the far side.

Basically, I am stuck between a slippy and a slidey place. The road has about 2" of ice topped off with the compacted snow of last night's 4" of snowfall.

I am only 4 miles from a treated main road, but I cannot leave my house as I cannot get up the hill to my right. I tried yesterday and only managed to creep about 50 yards before the traction control stopped all power to the drive wheels. It's no use turning left, 'cos then I'll be stuck on the bridge going nowhere.

So, chains or socks to get me out of here?

And please, no lectures about winter tyres.

I'll try and attach a couple of pics to show what I am up against.

Thanks.

post-95299-009389000 1291040943_thumb.jp

Pic no 2...

post-95299-068932300 1291041191_thumb.jp

So, chains or socks to get me out of here?

And please, no lectures about winter tyres.

What are socks?? Read somewhere that ambulances are fitting them. :blink:

Perhaps you could educate us regarding 'winter tyres' there is a thread running regarding their use, and it looks as if we could do with some knowledgeable comments seeing as you've had all the lectures. :lol:

I thought about autosocks vs chains last year, but the online retailers had sold out, so I forgot about it.

My view about tyres for many years has been to make sure that I go into winter with at least 4mm tread depth.

My choice would be winter tyres as you don't have to faff about putting them on and off and on and off except for once in the season, but if you must definitely socks of chains in the UK.

See my comments on 'hybrid winter driving tips' post 44.

:thumbsup:

Given our variable climate, I'd prefer a good all season tyre if they exist any more!

They do seem to be a bit of a rare beast these days. It is either summer or winter tyres. mytyres.co.uk has a few all season tyres but not much of a choice.

The only way the Prius will perform well in snow & ice is if you fit Winter tyres. I am not lecturing just a fact and found out with the use of the Prius in the French Alps in Winter. I have no experience of chains but some folk I know have used them and say they help. Never heard of anybody using socks.

Just had a word with my son who owns a Prius and he said SOCKS are best as they are easier to put on and are available from Amazon. He also recommends snow tyres.

I've just put on a a pair of socks, but I'm not driving unless I absolutely have to.

We're lucky that all our services (shops/school/work) are all within a few miles.

Without socks the car's traction control was flickering like mad and slow progress up my hill.

With the socks there does appear to be more grip along a short test route.

The socks are dead easy to put on, whilst the last set of chains I had with a previous car were a real faff.

Had quite a bit of snow here in pontefract, had about 8 - 10 inches, enough for the car to bottom out.

Fitted a set of snow chains I'd bought in the summer as I was concerned that the traction control could not be overridden like on my previous toyota's, car went everywhere I wanted without problems with them fitted. With the Prius, I felt it responded better than a normal petrol/diesel the electric drive and set on ECO seemed to make the drive pick up speed more steadily without wheel spin.

Thanks for the replies guys - even the smart-alec ones.... :thumbsup:

Winter tyres appear to be a rare commodity around here. From what I've been reading on local forums, they can only be obtained by buying in from the U.K., and then you have to try to find a fitter that will not screw you for fitting as the tyres are not ''fitter supplied''. :censor:

And, if I did 'buy in', I would still have the problem of getting out of here to get them fitted anyway. :wacko:

Chains are completely sold out (I wonder why), and are not available until the 19th... :eek: (must be gold plated or something)

Socks on the other hand are due in on monday, so I've ordered a set.

You watch, everything will thaw away by sunday......................... :driving:

So basically you're stuck until after the weekend? What are you complaining about?! Get yourself into that pub across the road - it looks magnificent!

And in the second picture there's a chip shop! I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

So basically you're stuck until after the weekend? What are you complaining about?! Get yourself into that pub across the road - it looks magnificent!

Yep, you're right. Pub and a chip shop.

Unfortunately my work place is 32 miles away, and I don't get paid for not turning up.

I was sure that Snow Chains were banned in the UK, which is why Snow Socks were introduced... am I wrong?

I was sure that Snow Chains were banned in the UK, which is why Snow Socks were introduced... am I wrong?

Snow chains are permitted for use in the UK (according to the AA site), but you must only use them when there is snow/ice covering the road i.e. you are not allowed to use them on tarmac because they will damage the road surface.

And likewise for the snowsock, although you are more likely to damage them rather then road ;-)

Hence for snowy situations in the UK I'd recommend winter tyres, the should see you through all but the worst and at least you do have to put them on, take them off, put them on, take them off, put them on, take them off all in one day ;-) Worth a lot more than a few hundred pounds.

The snow chains/legality thing is definitely an issue. To be on the safe side I'd WALK to the pub then home via TESCO to get some provisions in(I think you've got one in Gorey)then phone the chip shop for delivery. They can either walk or drive - not your problem. If they bottle it/get pulled by the Guards you can always put the pan on and everyone's happy. Well almost.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links