Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tuning Chip Review From Germany

Crasstoe

I try not to interfere too much in threads about our tuning kits, Ive been there, got the T Shirt and a kick in the plums for my trouble :rolleyes:

There was a thread running on here probably a year or so ago that got out of hand, certain members put up obsticles about our T180 kits at every turn, even though we offer a 30 day money back guarantee and two year warranty, so now I leave members who have purchased our kits to leave their own testimonials about our products, the testimonials speak volumes, I don't really need to add anything. All I would say about our kits are that they are a quality product, you pay for quality. I'm often asked what the difference is. All I can say is I make comparisons about the modern PC. You can buy a cheap one that will connect to the net, but if you want to game or run programmes at the same time, you might want to add a better processor and more memory. Well our kits are able to handle information and make adjustments a bit like a better PC does, yes they all do a similar job, others are able to do a better job with a better bit of kit inside the box, and for that you pay a bit more. I also think we offer a good service, I am at the end of a phone if required, that cannot be said for a lot of auction site based sellers

Kingo :thumbsup:

What I will add is that I tried one of John's kits and yes the quality is a lot more than a resistor in a box hence why this costs more and yes it works very well and yes you can return this for a full refund and yes I did but the reason I did is because we bought this to try and improve our poor MPG which it did not but again I dont blame the box for this as I suspect there was another problem with the car causing the very poor MPG issues even though Toyota said it was poor fuel or our diving style which for sure it defiantly was not.

Would I buy this again? Yes I would if it was I wanted so if you fancy this then my advice is give it a go.

• Like 1

2 Excellent posts from Kingo and Rick showing 2 sides of the coin. +1 to both.

• Like 1

it may seem silly but the main reason for a tuning chip is because i want better MPG, additional power is welcomed of course but its not the primary reason for wanting a tuning chip.

i have provisionally decided to go with the racechip pro because people on this site are reporting better MPG gains on the racechip pro and only marginal MPG gains with the kingo chip.

if i am wrong in my findings, please let me know, i still have a week or so before i decide which one to purchase. :lol:

The 3 lowest MPG results i have recorded have been without my Kingo tuning box fitted (all circa 39MPG) and the highest have all been with it fitted (48MPG being the best).

The difference in power, torque and economy is so easy to spot with the tuning box fitted, I really can't live with the car with it removed.

Ultimately it is your money, and your car, so the decision lies with you.

Good luck with the box, it sounds like it has a good following and i'm sure it will transform the car :)

I can tell you how much power / torque you will get, one of the things I cannot tell you is MPG, the MPG results are purely down to your type of driving (motorway, mountains,rural etc) and your style (light or heavy footed) So no two boxes will produce the same MPG figures for different users, there are too many variables. This applies to all kits, not just mine, but with more torque, you dont have to open the throttle as wide and this is where the box comes into it's own, more power AND better MPG

I can tell you how much power / torque you will get, one of the things I cannot tell you is MPG, the MPG results are purely down to your type of driving (motorway, mountains,rural etc) and your style (light or heavy footed) So no two boxes will produce the same MPG figures for different users, there are too many variables. This applies to all kits, not just mine, but with more torque, you dont have to open the throttle as wide and this is where the box comes into it's own, more power AND better MPG

Nail on the head stuff there. I find my MPG has increased because I spend less time accelerating and more time cruising.

• 4 months later...

I bought the RaceChip Pro for my Auris 2.0 D-4D and it was delivered on January 10th 2011.

I've only ever messed around with it for a day or two after getting it and I've had the left switch set on 1 and the right switch on B.

To be honest, I couldn't live with the car without this box attached to it, you feel the difference instantly, it's like driving a completely different car.

BUT...... the problem I've had is the car going into limp mode like once a month, to remedy this problem, I've removed the harness from the common rail, replaced it with the original, then used a diagnostic machine to reset the freeze frames and any error messeges, then turn the car off for 10-15 minutes, stick the Race Chip Pro back on and we're ready to go for another month.

On a very, very serious note, limp mode and Toyota = a VERY dangerous combination, unlike my previous Peugeot 307 2.0 HDi Rapier, which had the annoying 'Anti-Pollution fault', which reduced the revs to a limit of 2000rpm.

The Auris just dies, no power, no nothing, it just grinds to a halt, you could be driving and the doomed check engine light comes on, you can't give it gas, because the car just won't do anything, you'd have to be lucky if noones tailgating you and your in a position to stop safely and put your hazards on, then turn the ignition off, wait 5 seconds then turn the car on again, but this time although the check engine light comes on, you have full power from your car, but the fact that the cars first response to a check engine light is to completely shut down, is very, very dangerous. Luckily I've always been in a position to stop safely without causing any other drivers to suddenly brake, when traffic is flowing normally.

I haven't got around to messing around with the settings to perfect it for my own car, so it completely eliminates the check engine light.

Your probably wondering at this point, 'you've got a diagnostic machine, so what's the error?'

The answer to that question is, the fuel pressure sensor is either reading it as high or low, due to the fact that the RaceChip Pro manipulates the fuel pressure and makes the ECU think that something is wrong.

I can only try and fiddle with the settings a little more. Has there been any developments on this box from other users?

• Like 1

I try not to interfere too much in threads about our tuning kits, Ive been there, got the T Shirt and a kick in the plums for my trouble :rolleyes:

There was a thread running on here probably a year or so ago that got out of hand, certain members put up obsticles about our T180 kits at every turn, even though we offer a 30 day money back guarantee and two year warranty, so now I leave members who have purchased our kits to leave their own testimonials about our products, the testimonials speak volumes, I don't really need to add anything. All I would say about our kits are that they are a quality product, you pay for quality. I'm often asked what the difference is. All I can say is I make comparisons about the modern PC. You can buy a cheap one that will connect to the net, but if you want to game or run programmes at the same time, you might want to add a better processor and more memory. Well our kits are able to handle information and make adjustments a bit like a better PC does, yes they all do a similar job, others are able to do a better job with a better bit of kit inside the box, and for that you pay a bit more. I also think we offer a good service, I am at the end of a phone if required, that cannot be said for a lot of auction site based sellers

What I will add is that I tried one of John's kits and yes the quality is a lot more than a resistor in a box hence why this costs more and yes it works very well and yes you can return this for a full refund and yes I did but the reason I did is because we bought this to try and improve our poor MPG which it did not but again I dont blame the box for this as I suspect there was another problem with the car causing the very poor MPG issues even though Toyota said it was poor fuel or our diving style which for sure it defiantly was not.

Would I buy this again? Yes I would if it was I wanted so if you fancy this then my advice is give it a go.

Hate to say it buddy but this why you should pay more for the box (you get what you pay for) and I still stand to what I said about Kingo's box.

• 7 months later...

Out of interest, how are people finding these tuning boxes over the last 8 months?

I removed mine a while back, but i'm tempted to get another one next month. The car just doesn't have enough oomph witout one fitted.

The Race chip box appeals, not sure if I will get the Pro version though... Opinions welcome.

Haven't contributed to this thread, but I've been following closely. Considered all the pros and cons of this device and decided to take a gamble.

I bought the standard Racechip (£101 when converted from 130 euros at time of purchase) and fitted it to my '07 T180. Haven't fiddled with it, left it at the optimised settings as supplied and I'm very pleased with the extra power. It's not crazy power, but satisfying. For example, a lot more pull off dual carriageway roundabouts and a lot more assured joining traffic and matching their speed quicker. The turbo lag feels a little clipped too.

I've had it on about 2 weeks now, and this could entirely be coincidence, but I'm about 2 mpg up on my urban driving. You might think that's not a lot, but I have an 11 mile trip to work everyday which would usually turn in barely 37 and at the moment I'm at 39. Could be the chip, could not, it will take a lot more miles to validate but I'll take the 2 mpg and run.

I regularly do a run to Liverpool Airport which takes me halfway along the M56, so I'm looking forward to those results. Usually pulls in around 40-41 on average.

I don't race anywhere (don't ask me why I got the chip then!), just sensible driving.

All I can say is at this moment I'm pleased with it and don't regret it.

Suedehead

What is the general view these days to tuning boxes by Toyota dealers at service time?

Do they look for reasons to invalidate warranty claims or do they turn a blind eye unless they have caused issues?

I put off getting a box fitted until mine was out of factory warranty however now I am considering adding another 2 yrs warranty rather than changing my car so would like to know whether I will get any hassle from dealers.

Pete

I've never had issues with dealers over the tuning box, and I had an engine replaced recently under warranty!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just managed to get hold of a Drakebox2 for my Auris 2.0 D-4D.

It has 9 settings, so I plugged it in, put it straight on the 9th setting and was dumbfounded as to the experience....

The accelerating was brutal compared to my Race Chip Pro and without any check engine lights turning the car into a zombie.

I would compare it to the Mini John Cooper Works, I really do not understand how it is even possible, maybe it's the feeling of all the extra torque... I'm not sure.

I can without a doubt say that with no chip tune on the car, you can tell how sluggish it is and with the Race Chip Pro, you get a constant surge of power until 3500rpm.

But with the Drakebox2, the feeling is astonishing the turbo kicks in at around 1200rpm all the way to 4000rpm, its relentless, so much so, I had to take it off and put my tamed Race Chip Pro back on and here I am thinking about the white T180 I want to part-ex this car with... lol

Was that the one off eBay? If so I was looking at that but the description said for a 128Bhp engine but the auris 2.0d4d is 126bhp so wasn't to sure on it.

Yes, the seller took his sweet time post it out too... ^_^

I'm going to try out different settings and see if it goes into limp mode, as I had only given it a short run, if I feel that it is okay to live with, I might get rid of the Race Chip Pro, but for the time being I want to continue using both and see what happens.

I still can't get the brutal acceleration out of my head, I've read all the posts in this thread about in gear acceleration being more smooth and refined, but what I witnessed was terrifying WITHOUT the torque steer that I was expecting at any time :D

I'll post pictures of the box and maybe even a video in car acceleration if I can get someone to hold the camera, as I want both hands on the steering wheel lol :P

Sounds a little extreme to me. Either you're not used to powerful engines or it's doing something which will probably destroy yours ....... ?

Remember that drive shafts aren't cheap... Not sure it is brutal enough to damage one but you never know. I like the Race Chip cutting out at 3.5k, means when you change up a gear you land right back at 2k ready for the next surge or smooth torque, and you don't rev it too much, saving your engine from unnecessary wear and tear and also saving fuel.

It's easy to get a chip kit to behave like that, but 99% of people would not put up with it as the power is either on or off and makes for a horrible drive. When set like that, you WILL damage something sooner rather than later. The clutch will probably be the first thing to let go. The trick is to have the power delivery much smoother and less harsh, makes for a superior drive and the drivetrain will last too

Totally agree, on/off power is rubbish and doesnt makefor a nice drive, the smoother the better. Something will give if it's that extreme.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've also been following this thread for some time.

I live near Frankfurt (but Scottish) and I have a 2005 Verso 2.2 dcat 180BHP with 185000 kms. I have a daily commute of 150km to and from my office with 50% UNLIMITED autobahn.

Since buying the car last summer with 150000kms on it, I got the dreaded engine temp increase light and due to this wonderful forum, I was sufficiently informed to go straight to my local Mr T and got a new short engine because of the head gasket failure. Been regularly cleaning the EGR valve and using the BG244 and now Archoil 6200 together with Aral premium/standard diesel.

Problem is despite all this, the consumption has been poor (around 11l/100km) and I decided to go for a standard racechip for €110

Initial impression was good but not mind blowing. I experimented with higher settings but after 1-2 limp home modes, I went back to the standard 9A. Now having run this for about 10 weeks I can report the performance is very good, enough to ***** the ubiquitous company A6/5series drivers who believe it is their right to sit on your bumper as soon as the speedlimit goes to unlimited. I leave it in 6th at 120kmh and give it 3/4 throttle and it pulls smoothly up to 200kmh with Hr. Schmidt wondering why this innocuous MPV has just embarrassed him in his 520d ;-)

Best news is my consumption has dropped from 11l/100km to 8.5-9l/100km. bearing in mind I'm averaging 110kmh on my commute this is pretty good.

Look forward to any other reports from UK or De.

Good to hear you have had a positive experience Pholl :)

Lol I like your style pholl :) Sleepers FTW :D

• 2 weeks later...

got the racechip pro today and i've been testing it out, to be honest i havent noticed a difference other than the revs shooting up (my clutch is brand new so its not a worn clutch) theres not much pull, theres more notice of the pull when its not installed. Disappointed TBH :(

Something odd going on there when others have had nothing but praise for it .......... ?

I'll be able to give a update fitted vs unfitted as my car is booked in for a TÜV (MOT) on thursday and I've taken it off just so it does not skew the emissions results.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links