Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tuning Chip Review From Germany

Crasstoe

I will switch mine to the same and see what happens :) I'm interested to see how it goes on yours mainly because your engine is far more complicated... and I like complicated things :D

You guys are flashing some big numbers here for MPG gains.

I find it very difficult to imagine substantial performance gains without sacrificing MPG.

Used to have a Leon 1.9TDi which I chipped and it certainly went like a rocket. But Fuel costs went up too. Regrettably wife found it too responsive (fast). So I had to sell it off.

How do you measure the MPG and how accurate is this method? Just curious!! If I chipped again she'd be feeding me antifreeze in my dinner, or doubling my life insurance.

Krait

The ONLY way to work out your MPG properly is to fill the tank to the brim and reset your trip computer, then when you fill up again to the brim, you can work out your REAL mpg from the amount of litres it takes to fill against the amount of miles covered.

There are loads of mobile apps that can do the maths for you (if you own a smart phone) or something like Fuelly.

My car has a Kingo box fitted, and it does improve MPG compared to a tankful without it fitted, but its not a huge amount (+2 maybe) but it all helps to keep motoring a bit cheaper (if you discount the cost of the box), but lets face it... its bought for the extra power in most cases.

I know what you mean about the Leon by the way, i had the Leon FR (MK1) and it was remapped by Custom code, and was pushing 206bhp and 302lb-ft of torque. Rapid little car and by far the best car i have owned, but the Auris is a close second.

Just switched to 0 0 and wow... I was happy at B B but just wow... Doesn't feel any quicker off the line, but from 40-70 in 4th it is so much smoother and dam right faster.

Curse you davethefish, I wouldn't have turned the box up if you hadn't... now I look for an excuse to put my foot down! :D Can't wait till tomorrow when its light to try 7 7 ;)

Just switched to 0 0 and wow... I was happy at B B but just wow... Doesn't feel any quicker off the line, but from 40-70 in 4th it is so much smoother and dam right faster.

Curse you davethefish, I wouldn't have turned the box up if you hadn't... now I look for an excuse to put my foot down! :D Can't wait till tomorrow when its light to try 7 7 ;)

Quite, yes... 7 - 7 was an eye popper outer, made me smile and wince at the same time thinking of the fuel. BUT!

I did get 38.6 mpg on a 30 & 40 mph 7-8 miles journey, a few stops and starts, with a minor toe poke. I don't think that's bad for an SR.

I can definitely say that on this setting it has lower instant MPG readings when cruising at 40 in 4th. 30 mph in 3rd & 4th seem quite ok though. I think when you get a bit higher in that power band it's a little more eager to go, we thought the right pedal was sensitive before, you really have to concentrate to stop yourself giving it too much in the early gears.

As fast as it is, I think I'll wind it back a notch at a time to try and find that balance. It's a different animal, the engine seems to have added a noise too, not sure if its a good thing or not but there is another noise there now. I don't know how to explain it without it sounding bad, because I don't think it is, obviously the engine is working to different parameters... I'm lost for words.

Further to the last, my journey to work this morning was driven like a vicar on... :yawn: very carefully, possibly too carefully, resulting in 36.8 mpg... mainly about 6 miles of 30 mph, 1.5 miles 40 mph, 1 mile 50 mph. There were a few stops and starts but what journey doesn't. I think a slight wind back is in order, on the power dial, I think I'll leave the spread across the revs at the moment.

So maybe go with a setting like 4 and 7?

So maybe go with a setting like 4 and 7?

Yea that sounds about right. I'm leaving work very soon, Yes 1.00pm, life or Riley. Ha Ha.

Got a few miles run at 40 mph along a differant route, then some national to the Mrs'. We'll see how that goes.

Excellent, I tested at 0, B and it gave a lot of punch but in one lump, stuck it to 0, 0 and it is just as quick but a lot smoother - no lag then POWER!

OK that does it! I'm getting one for our little 1.4D!

And it's going on 7 - 7 ! lol

Lol RichE. The beast will come alive.

I started to regret installing the thing yesterday as I could see fuel economy was suffering with the Racechip turned up. Even being sooo light footed, it just wouldn't cruise at the same or a close MPG... HOWEVER, I went back to the instructions and tried again. My instructions say that Switch 1 (that's the left one) is for economy and each turn from the min setting (8) increases economy by 1.5 (% or something). So, I wacked that up to 7 (full) and turned Switch 2 (speed band), which seems to be power output, back down to B.

Now I can see my MPG seems to have return. I think, rather than the quick adjustments between trips, I'm going to try and do a tank or half a tank at a time to seek improved economy.

I'll say, with the Racechip set to 7 - B, you can still notice an increase in power, decent pull (nothing like 7 - 7) but there seems to be a reasonable amount of economy there too. Phew, looks like it's staying in.

I'm touring France later this year with roofbox and roof mounted bikes x 2, so I'm eager to find a eco setting. I've seen what two bikes does to the MPG... :eek::help:

Had a little issue leaving work today, pulling out the carpark and the engine cut power with a large thud. I'm assuming this is limp mode, I crawled over the road. On the dash was the engine problem light, triangle ! sign and CHECK ENGINE, VSC / traction control message, and the VSC swerving car symbol was lit!!!

It still drove following this but I didn't boot it. After I got to where I was going, I disconnected the negative Battery terminal for 10 mins to reset ECU, all lights have now gone but it gave me a scare. Any thoughts? Does it need to be checked over. I'd read a similar post in the past where the someone took a car for an 'Italian tune up' (LOL) and the lights came back on after a while. Eeek!

No idea, maybe it registered that fuel pressure had been at crazy levels for a long period of time and just decided it wasnt normal? What did you have it set to when it went limp on you?

I'm trying a few different settings as 7 7 on mine felt like the engine was choking a little, hard to describe. I guess the tip with these is to not crank it right up but find a comfprtable medium. I'm going to test out 4 B tonight and see how it runs.

What did you have it set to when it went limp on you?

:eek: I'm surprised that comment wasn't :censor: :lol2:

It was set to 7 - B. I knocked it back to 7 - 9 i think, about 2 back on Switch 2 (right). I considered that a fuse might have blown, not checked though.

I'll have to fiddle over the coming week.

Just a thought, if Toyota/Lexus released an ECU re-flash back in 2008 (or was it 2007) due to over fueling causing EGR/DPNR issues on the 2.2 177 D-CAT, what are these tuning boxes going to do? :unsure:

Just a thought, if Toyota/Lexus released an ECU re-flash back in 2008 (or was it 2007) due to over fueling causing EGR/DPNR issues on the 2.2 177 D-CAT, what are these tuning boxes going to do? :unsure:

These tuning boxes are very good value for money but there have have been issues.

They turn up your boost and remove/add fuel thats it.

For the optimum setup 1 hour on the rollers where the air/fuel ratio and boost can be monitored and adjusted is advised, at which time the effects of the tuning box can be measured and checked so not to cause and damage.

James

I had a tuning box on my 04 Megane, made a hell of a difference and I had no issues apart from a bit of extra smoke.

I also had it on the rollers, horsepower was up 5hp to 127hp, and torque was from 240ibft to 260ibft.

I agree that they definitely need setting up on the rollers though... (as you can see mine wasn't!)

The only concern on the 2.2 DCAT is the DPF getting clogged up. But from what I can see, no one has appeared to have any issues! :thumbsup:

I had a tuning box on my 04 Megane, made a hell of a difference and I had no issues apart from a bit of extra smoke.

I also had it on the rollers, horsepower was up 5hp to 127hp, and torque was from 240ibft to 260ibft.

I agree that they definitely need setting up on the rollers though... (as you can see mine wasn't!)

The only concern on the 2.2 DCAT is the DPF getting clogged up. But from what I can see, no one has appeared to have any issues! :thumbsup:

Top feedback!

another issue is reduced life of your turbo and boost leaks, if the turbo is already tired it will die much quicker!

Ensuring good/better/proper seal on any boost pipework will ensure you get the full effects of the additional boost, when tuning these I sometimes have to replace some clips/clamps to get a proper seal.

Upgrades are only really worth doing if you dont end up having to fix something.

James

Turning mine up to see how it goes - fingers crossed no limp mode ;)

If they are tested and set up correctly, then they should alter all the parameters needed to stay within safe tolerances.

Its nice being able to adjust things, but it may not be a good idea if your unsure what your doing. I wouldn't want to go into limp mode in the 3rd lane of a motorway and try and get across to the hard shoulder to switch off the engine and restart again.

Hopefully there is a happy medium on this box that won't give any issues while giving a decent improvement in power.

These tuning boxes are very good value for money but there have have been issues.

They turn up your boost and remove/add fuel thats it.

For the optimum setup 1 hour on the rollers

Let me guess James, you can provide optimum set up on a rolling road for an hour! ;)

You in the North West by any chance? :driving:

• 4 weeks later...

In my experience of chip kits, there are too many "one size fits all" kits out there that just boost fuel pressure. With this type of kit, its entirely possible to get over fuelling problems

Our latest kits are adjustable on some models that allow you to take more/ less torque/power. Each kit has a vehicle specific file in it so you get the best options for your specific car, turning them up to the max usually makes the power a bit too harsh for most people

kingo :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I'm really thinking about getting a 'tuning box' but i'm not sure I want to be fiddling with it every 5 mins.. I'd rather plug it in and leave it.. though the fun you guys have with the Race-chip sounds like fun..

What to do.. Kingo or Race-Chip? :unsure:

No need to keep adjusting it Mr Singh, plug it in and go, :rolleyes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Totally agree!

My car has all the torque where I need it and it pulls like a train.

Figures on paper are not a true reflection on how a car drives, so see if you live local to someone with a box fitted and ask if they can give you a demo.

If you were in my area, or willing to travel, I would happily show you how mine performs.

• Like 1